• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Bowcraft/Fletching] Runics - what to make

A

Aryn86

Hey..I just GMed Bowcraft and now want to use the few Runics (1 Heartwood, several Oak/Ash/Yew). I am NOT interested in selling them, just want to craft something myself.

The problem I have is - I had a UO break for over 5 years and don't know what is the best way to use these runics.
Which bows/xbows are used and which stats are worth keeping?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only runic that provides a benefit now is the Oak runic kit. There are two things you look for...

If you have a +30 SSI suit (like me) then you can use an oak runic to get +15 SSI and enhance for +10 ash wood to get you 55 SSI. Other than that the balanced property is worth keeping. These save a few relic fragments and the 10 essence of balance for balanced property.

You can't get a 5 property bow from a fletching runic.

Runic Bonuses

-Lorax

A

Aryn86

Thanks for the answer..so, what to do with my other runics? I don't want to sell the runics, but can't I craft anything sellable? (i can imbue the crafted items too)

And the next question - what type of bow/xbow do I craft? I don't think they are all equally looked for. Thank you!

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The warrior forum may help you as well since you can get more into fighting style in subject rather than the how to make a particular bow. Are you looking for a pvp or pvm bow?

What to make will depend on your suit and skills. Like one of my latest composite bows at the bottom doesn't have HML since I am leeching mana in wraith form from damage. If you don't have any SSI on your suit then you will need to make your bow 40 SSI and all the other property intensities will be lower.

Your style of fighting will make you prefer one bow over another. If you use refresh pots or divine fury constantly then HSL may be unnecessary, but divine fury lowers you DCI.

When I had a 20 SSI suit here are the type of bows I was making:
Composite
SSI 25
HLD 34
HLM 34 (goes to 28 after enhance I think)
HSL 34
Dragon Slayer
enhance after imbue with Ash for +10 SSI

xbow
HML 50? (final went to 40 after enhance)
HSL 46
HL 26
Velocity 34
SSI 25

Yumi
SSI 30
HSL 50
HML 40 final
balanced
DI 15 (not sure why I had DI on this bow. My suit must have changed a few times)

For my 30 SSI suit (current)
Composite
HML 31
HLD 34
HSL 34
SSI 25
Scorpion slayer
enhanced after imbue with Yew to get +5 HCI and +10 DI (40 HCI suit and 90 DI suit)

Composite (this bow has as much damage items as possible and is for my new wraith form change)
HFA 36
HSL 34
HL 48 (I may not have had the essence or too much weight to get 50)
Velocity 34
SSI 25
enhanced after imbue with Yew to get +5 HCI and +10 DI (40 HCI suit and 90 DI suit) (7 property bow)

Heavy (I think I was testing this for pvp one day)
HLA 50
HLD 50
HF 34
HCI 15
SSI 10

-Lorax

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the answer..so, what to do with my other runics? I don't want to sell the runics, but can't I craft anything sellable? (i can imbue the crafted items too)

And the next question - what type of bow/xbow do I craft? I don't think they are all equally looked for. Thank you!
I should have said you can use any of the runic's to save relic fragments, but if you need 100% only the heartwood will give that intensity.

http://uo.stratics.com/php-bin/show_content.php?content=31013

So if you want a super slayer or a non-max intensity use the lower runics.
50% property on a bow then you can use an oak like 24% HL or 12% HCI or DCI
75% property on a bow then you can use an ash like 36% Velocity.
90% property on a bow then you can use a yew like 44% HF.

I was a little too restrictive on the benefit runic tools play. I actually use them whenever I have them. The randomness makes them seem wasteful though.

-Lorax

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Remember that several properties are "Boolean" in nature (either there, or not there). Those will be possible from any level of runic.

These include (for weapons)

Slayers
SC -1
FC 1
and
Balanced

gortman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for asking this question - I was wondering the same thing. I am training up my bowyer doing the Heartwood Quests and in the last five trips there I've gotten three Heartwood runic kits and a few of the other types.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember that several properties are "Boolean" in nature (either there, or not there). Those will be possible from any level of runic.

These include (for weapons)

Slayers
SC -1
FC 1
and
Balanced
Dont forget elemental damage. Getting 100% elemental damage of one type is really rare but a matchwinner for each low level runic.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The reasons I didn't count elemental damage were that it technically doesn't take/count as a property (but is a bonus), and that while it is boolean to be present, it still has a random distribution (making 100% one types rare)

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you certain you can get 100 elemental types from any fletching runic tools below heartwood? Right now I don't believe it and don't feel like confirming it myself.

-Lorax

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Certain.

The devs have stated, and experience has shown, that the presence of elemental damage is a boolean property, for purposes of intensity. 10% cold, 90% physical is just as much 100% intensity as 100% fire.

If the answer to the question is "yes", then there is a random roll to how much of the resist isn't physical. It then goes through each of the colored resists (can't remember if it's linear, or in the same order as the enhancement order - I think the latter). There is a chance of the result being 0%, or potentially 100%, that is rolled for the first. If that roll doesn't replace all of the physical resist that the initial roll indicated, then it goes to the second; then to the third, then to the last.

So, it's like

Elemental? Yes/No
(If yes, was considered a 100% intensity before the change to runics and imbuing to consider it a freebie.)
If yes, a random roll is made to determine the total amount of damage that is replaced (random 10%-100%, rounded to nearest 10%, or 11-109%, truncated resulting in 10%-100%), in 10% increments. This percentage is not determined by runic type.
Once amount of non-physical damage is determined,
Amount is rolled for the first potential elemental damage, and truncated as above, or to the total amount, if greater than the total amount. This number can be 0.
Second damage type is rolled, truncated as above, for the remaining amount.
Third Type is then rolled, as above.
The last type is handled one of two ways (not sure of which). Either it is treated as the other three, and if all the damage conversion isn't used up, it restarts at the beginning to try to use it up again (I think, but not sure, that was what was said), or all remaining elemental damage not already assigned becomes the last. (note that the latter system might make weapons with two or more elemental damage types have that last type much more often than the others.)

I can't remember if it was, Hanse, Wilki , Mr. Tact or one of the other devs that indicated this, years before bow runics existed. As it is, I'm trying to remember a post that dated from the AoS era, that was lost in the Spring 2008 Stratics Crash.

Lorax_Pacific

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think your thinking of hammer runics that have 100% intensity capability.

Lower bow runics from my experience will only make as much elemental damage as the percent capability of the tool. I believe you cannot get 100% elemental damage from on oak fletching kit.

-Lorax

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think your thinking of hammer runics that have 100% intensity capability.

Lower bow runics from my experience will only make as much elemental damage as the percent capability of the tool. I believe you cannot get 100% elemental damage from on oak fletching kit.

-Lorax
What part of my statement do you not understand????

Elemental damage spread is NOT, NOR HAS IT EVER BEEN, a factor of "intensity".

Low Level hammers only were uncapped in MARCH 2008.

Runics have been capable of making colored weapons, up to having no physical left (including 100% in one elemental damage) SINCE COLORED WEAPONS WERE FIRST POSSIBLE FROM A RUNIC.

I was making 100% weapons with DC hammers in 2003, FIVE YEARS before they could make anything over mid-range intensity (was was the old DC hammer cap? 40%???).

I made bows with my first Oak Runic that were FAR in excess of the property intensity range in their "elemental damage", in the first month of ML. Hell, I just wasted half an ASH Runic IN THE MIDDLE OF POSTING THIS to make a 10% Fire, 50% Poison, 40% Energy Composite Bow with Balanced, Life Leech and DI (and it ended up non-exceptional, dang it) just to confirm.

IT WAS STATED IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS BY THE DEVS that Elemental damage was either THERE OR NOT THERE, and that runic intensity HAD NO BEARING on the damage spread, LONG BEFORE EITHER THE 2008 HAMMER CHANGES OR THE INTRODUCTION OF BOW RUNICS.