• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Runic kit: any "rule of thumb" on what armor to make?

G

Gellor

I've got a boat load of barbed(5-6) and horned kits(30ish) I'd like to burn. I've been saving for a rainy day and since starting a new char, I need some armor:thumbsup:

Anyways, is there rule of thumb on what armor to make? Especially concerning armor slots.

For example, for the gloves spot, is it only regular leather gloves made with the desired leather?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Any leather armor (not studded) will never get the Mage Armor property, since it is inherently medable. Leather armor will have less base resists than studded, but it is negligible. Sleeves, leggings, and gloves seem to be the most popular to make, since there a good artifacts for the head, neck, and chest spots.

Horned leather will give higher fire resist than barbed leather. I have found that Energy resist (given by barbed leather) is easier to come by, so I use mostly horned leather. Refer to the material chart found here: Material Bonus

I usually make armor for use be my guild and I, so I could not help you if you are trying to sell it.

Stayin Alive,

BG

G

Gellor

Not really trying to sell it but just curious if there is a "best" piece to start with.

If regular leather armor with appropriate leather is the way to go, I'd go that route.

But with all the "Samuri Empire" medible armor, I'm at a loss:coco:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Items bonus:

Leather gives +15 extra resists
Studded and bone give +16 but gives no mage armor for free
Tokuno armors give the same bonus as leather armor (including no free mage armor, need to use metal for that).

So make leather armor.

For materials, spined armor gives 5 extra resists and 40 luck.
Horned leather gives 11 extra resists
Barbed gives 12 extra resists, but 4 points of that is in energy (which is typically not needed, depending on your artifacts).

I typically make my leathers in Barbed and normal leathers (except for ninja pants, I'm not terribly fond of the knee pads on leather leggings). You get the max extra resists out of that.

G

Gellor

I just meant in terms of old leather based armor(leather gloves, etc) vs the medible Tokuno armors like the ninja hood, jacket, etc.

If they both start with the same base, then it is just a coin flip. But if the Tokuno armors start with a lower base, then old leather it is:thumbsup:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They start with the same base - but some of the Tokuno stuff just looks better.

(I prefer the Ninja jacket and legs over the leather tunic & legs, for example, but the ninja mitts make you hands look HUGE)

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The elven armors also have the same base values. The down side is only elves can wear them, but some of them look good. With both the SE and ML armor, there are some that look awful too.

The "best piece" you will want to start with is whichever of your sleeves, legings, or gloves are the worst. Prioritize those three and make some armor until you are satisfied with what you have. There is a good selection of headwear, tunics, and neckwear from artifacts (of these three the tunics are most limited, so use that as the fourth priority to improve).

Stayin Alive,

BG