• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Runic Hammers

T

Turdnugget

Curious if anyone has ever made a really decent piece of armor using a Copper/Bronze hammer?

Something with 60+ resists MR/LMC etc... if that's even possible with such a hammer.

M

MoneyMaker

Made a few good Mid-level pieces, decent sheilds and couple slayer weps with barely decent mods.
you might get the off chance item every 7 or 8 hammers worth, but about the only hammer that makes fairly decent moded weps and armor pretty consistantly (not something that you would wanna do high level PvM or any PvP with though) is the golden runic hammer.
Good luck though. I wouldn't just throw away the copper/bronze runics, they do make the ocassional good one.

M

MoneyMaker

Update:
just burned through a bronze runic to make sure i could be more informative.
got the following results:

Armor

best resists:43 total
best mods: LRC 19% / luck 76 / self repair 4

average resists: 39 total
average mods (over all pieces): Luck 90's / Lrc 17-19% / LMC 4-8% / mage armor (exceptionally crafted)

all pieces were made with iron ingots and a bronze runic hammer
(20 pieces used for averages)

Weapons

best mods on single weapon: hit life leech 42% defense chance 14% defense chance 47% (exceptionally crafted)

most common mods: Life leech 40's / defense chance 12-14% / defense chance 9-11%

two slayers: troll and ogre (ogre slayer has 2 resists mods: 24 total)

hope that helps ya out :D

K

Kallie Pigeon

I have made numerous items with 63 total resists and one with 73 and never used anything better than a bronze. I think many of you play much more than me and have time to get all the higher hammers so you don't use bronze runics for that purpose. I guess if you have better then don't use them on armor. Otherwise you can make and all 70's suit with bronzes and not too difficult but if you have enough barbed runics or higher smith runics then you can use those instead.

W

Warrior of Time

Did you have GM arms lore when you was using the hammers?

M

MoneyMaker

Nope no arms lore at all on that char.
just a legendary smith using a bronze runic hammer.
Just as was said earlier, you do get some items higher, but it can be influenced by many things i.e., arms lore, skill level, number of mods applied to the item, etc....
Hope you can get a good set outa yours.
With the bod turn around time, you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting another Runic hammer (copper or above) anytime soon, maybe even the much couveted Valorite Runnic Hammer (just remember us when you start crafting with it :D, j/k).
good luck!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bronze hammer theoreticals:

15 base resists
11 from exceptional (6 base, plus 5 for GM Arms Lore*)
13 from Valorite ingots.
Mage Armor from being Exceptional Samurai Empire Platemail types
45 from 3 maxed Resist properties

= 84 resists, no other special properties except those of Mage Armor from the type made, and 50% extra durability from Valorite.

* Add 3 more resists on Siege Perilous, as its Arms Lore bonus is 1/12.5 skill instead of 1/20.

For each additional property, instead of resists, subtract 15 points.

For something a little more wearable, calculated for gold, with one extra property....

Bronze hammer theoreticals:

15 base resists
11 from exceptional (6 base, plus 5 for GM Arms Lore*)
6 from Gold ingots (And the gold properties).
Mage Armor from being Exceptional Samurai Empire Platemail types
30 from 2 maxed Resist properties

= 62 resists, plus Mage Armor, 40 Luck, 30% Lower Requirements, and one other property, per piece. This is sufficient to be able to craft an all-70s suit (though you'll want to go tailor runic for the gloves, for leather gloves, leather ninja mitts or leaf gloves, to go with the mage armor suit).

Tailored gloves will also let you fudge the resists a bit, as a horned runic item can have up to 76 resists, 40 luck & 1 other property made with a horned kit from spined, 82 resist with horned, 83 with barbed - add another property, or another 15 resists for barbed kit. Hell, theoretically, with only resist properties, a Barbed runic Barbed leather piece can hit (15+11+12)=113 resists, 116 on SP.

P

perplexed

I have made an all-70s suit of plate armor (without including the shield or any jewelry) that also included some extra effects - night sight, HP regen, etc using Bronz runics - but you have to burn through around 7-10 of them to get what you want. The trick I found was to get about four of the six pieces to have all three magic effects on the resists - you can get, for example 19 Physical, 24 fire, 20 poison on a single piece of armor. Do that on about four of them to get you to the point that you don't need any extra resistances added to the remaining pieces to complete your 70s, and then you can use the remaining two pieces plus the shield to get whatever extra effects you might want.

B

Banchee

I made this for my doom samprie.

Mage's Runeblade

Demon Slayer
51% mana leech
2 FC

Allows me to solo doom fairly easy.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Made this war axe with a copper hammer I bought for 5k.

Hit mana leech 74%
Hit lower defence 50%
Hit Fireball 50%
Damage Increase 39%

It's a great general purpose pvm weapon.