• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rune Beetle training

Syncros

Adventurer
I have a pp rune beetle and was wondering what training I should give it. I did try training it on TC1 but it didn't let me give it anything other then stats, any magic ability always shows 0 in red.

Thanks

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a pp rune beetle and was wondering what training I should give it. I did try training it on TC1 but it didn't let me give it anything other then stats, any magic ability always shows 0 in red.

Thanks
All you can do with a rune beetle are stats, resists, and skills. I haven't trained one in a while, so I don't know if you can give it another casting ability (i.e. Spellweaving, Chiv, Mystic - you can give it Magery Mastery), but they all come with Rune Corruption, Poisoning, Bleed, and Magery by default - RC/Poisoning/Bleed take up the extra special ability slots by default.

Honestly, if you're going with a beetle-type pet, I would go with the Giant or Fire Beetle. They're more customizable since they don't have preset abilities like the Rune Beetle. That said, a Rune Beetle still has some utility - because it comes with the Poisoning skill, it's immune to almost every level of poison (pretty sure only level 5 can affect it, and only a couple things have that.)

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
so I don't know if you can give it another casting ability (i.e. Spellweaving, Chiv, Mystic - you can give it Magery Mastery),
You can give it another casting ability, only beetle that can get chiv. You lose the magery and poisoning in the process though.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can give it another casting ability, only beetle that can get chiv. You lose the magery and poisoning in the process though.
Does it loose rune corruption by giving the rune beetle chiv or lets say discord

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i wonder how a RC/disco rune beetle would compliment a chiv cu. seems like it would be an excellent support pet.
I think for certains bosses with multiple players attacking it , discord + rune corruption rune beetle would be more damage over time , depending of course of other factors but compared to a chiv Cu exemple .

IM also thinking of the fire beetle , I wonder if it can have slashing for onslaught, with inferno , as a 2 slots fire beetle , then you run a 3 slot pet with discord ( thinking of a fire steed now or a phoenix or those new plat/crimson drag with 100% fire dmg).
Have a necromancer cast corpse skin and you got alot of fire reduce combo if im not wrong

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a pet type that no one has made a info/build thread on.

My old bug was a 4 slot when the revamp came out so he was pretty bad. I never made another.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If one trains another magical ability with a rune beetle, the existing exceptionally existing combination of magery & poisoning gets de-activated! After doing that, there's NO way to get the combination back but to go find and tame another beast.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now you make me wonder if a pet has poisoning and parying at gm+ does it lowers its specials moves mana cost by 5 like players. And further more if it was to have bushido ou ninjitsu on top of that if its possible would it be reduced by 10 mana

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
* Hint hint, nudge nudge *
There is a reason for that. Like other's said, it's comes with a baggage of marginal moves, it is tight on points, you can't ride it. It's inferior in almost every way that matters to other beetles. Now, if the Devs fixed poisoning so that we could take advantage of rune beetles with overcapped poison skill, rune would make a nice specialty pet.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There are a couple of people, who post here from time to time, that added chiv theirs. Supposed to be a good add for them. Just don’t pick one with over 120 poisoning for that, as that would be a waste of a good poison pet.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
THANK YOU!

SO THEY ARE USELESS! :)
I disagree.

They have over capped poisoning and they can also have over capped magery, eval int, and meditation. They can also have over capped DEX (~165 is what I've seen). Spawn as 3 and 4 slots (about 50/50); you want a 3 slot.

They come with very high magery, eval int, meditation, and poisoning. They also have rune corruption and bleed. Bleed is just OK, but RC, magery, and poisoning are very nice. As far as I know they cannot be poisoned-at least mine never has been.

True, you really can't change any moves/magics during training/leveling, but the good thing about that is you'll have more training points to spend elsewhere. Technically I know you can change the magic, but you'll lose magery and poison and have to fork out 500 training points. If that's your plan you should probably pick a different animal.

My Rune Beetle is 4 slot right now, I took the risk of leveling it to 4 before bonding, now I'm waiting until tomorrow for it to bond and then I'll continue training it to 5 slots. So far I'm very impressed with it.

These can be a royal pain in the butt to tame unless you have a friend peace it or your honor tame it. They move very fast and they cast strong offensive magic on you also paralyze spell, also if they get too close you'll either get hit with lethal poison or bleed. Attempting to tame it makes it angry. They don't have to be beaten into submission like other beetles.

Very few pets start with 2 magics. Only others I know of are Skree and Dread spider (edit).

*I'm not sure what the benefit is of over capped poisoning skill besides the fact that if the poison skill drops below 100 it will go down to deadly poison, so having it over capped will keep it at lethal if the pet dies.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think for certains bosses with multiple players attacking it , discord + rune corruption rune beetle would be more damage over time , depending of course of other factors but compared to a chiv Cu exemple .

IM also thinking of the fire beetle , I wonder if it can have slashing for onslaught, with inferno , as a 2 slots fire beetle , then you run a 3 slot pet with discord ( thinking of a fire steed now or a phoenix or those new plat/crimson drag with 100% fire dmg).
Have a necromancer cast corpse skin and you got alot of fire reduce combo if im not wrong
Last time i tested Slashing on a pet, the Onslaught didn't work. It wasn't reducing the victim's Resists.

What is the 2nd magic for Wolf Spiders? They only spawn with Poisoning as far as we know?
He's probably thinking of Dread Spiders, which start with Magery and Poisoning active. They also have points in Necromancy, which allows you to easily turn them into Necromage.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Yes, I meant dread spider.
Dread spider is also 3->5 slot but starts with about half the HP/STR and lower skills than a rune beetle.

Besides them and skree, any others that spawn with 2 magics you guys can think of?

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes, I meant dread spider.
Dread spider is also 3->5 slot but starts with about half the HP/STR and lower skills than a rune beetle.

Besides them and skree, any others that spawn with 2 magics you guys can think of?
Shadow Wyrms
Bane Dragon (kind of)
Dread Warhorses (get access with poisoning aoe abilities while still having magery)