• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rumor of Rebellion

McIan

Journeyman
“There is a rumor circulating that the new governor of Yew intends to dismiss all Royal guards in the town and has encouraged pirates to seize his majesty’s ships,” the informant stated. “It has appeared the rebellion has begun in earnest,” he added.

Itannar, presently a Baron of Yew and Captain Warden of the Yew Commonwealth, relaxed at his desk in his Glengarry office in the district of Aegis. This week had been especially taxing on his nerves as a prisoner, a pirate, managed to escape the Yew prison and remained at large. Now there was talk of open rebellion.

It was no secret that when the blight affecting southern Yew was at its worst, when the mad piper’s killings had left an unforgettable mark on the town, and little to nothing had been done by the king to end it, that he and the former governor, contemplated the same thing: secession.

“I overheard it from someone who visited a tavern. He said the source was reliable.”

“I don’t like rumors. One cannot base critical decisions on rumors. I need facts. Return when you actually know the truth of it or not,” Itannar stated. The informant nodded and took his leave.

If this has any truth to it, it would be prudent to discuss it with the governor personally. I cannot say I dislike the idea of independence but the use of pirates to enforce it is questionable; we should raise our own army in defense of the town. Mercenaries are expensive and fickle.

And this is nothing short of high treason…

Yet, today’s traitors become tomorrow’s patriots. Treason is simply a matter of dates. Power changing hands is all it is, and if one power is marginally better than another… so be it. This may be a chance, an only chance, of breaking away from a tyrannical regime that has shown little concern for our welfare by throwing in with another.

Something to think about.

Addendum

Making his rounds through the town, Itannar heard the heralds and saw fear in the faces of the citizenry. A few braver souls described the “tax collectors” who paid visits to their homes, as nothing more than hired thugs.

This governor so called is far worse than the king. He might even have me arrested as a threat to his rule if he suspects a lack of cooperation. I can see most everyone will, like sheep, surrender and do nothing to oppose this. They voted him in; let them learn the price of folly.

The king will have to deal with this on his own, if he cares enough. Yet I will not wait in hope.

I am through here. I will not wait for them to come knocking.

It has been an honor to assist my home but I will not bow to any tyrant, nor seek the help of one over another.

Politicians are nothing more thugs of different stripes. I can see that now.

Last edited: