• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Provocation] Ronin question

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know that Ronin's are not effected directly by Bard skills, so you can't Peace, Disco, etc... But can you provo something ONTO THEM?

PsychoKinetic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Your target does not seem interested in attacking that."

*sigh*

(it's a pointless nerfing of a valid skillset)

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"Your target does not seem interested in attacking that."

*sigh*

(it's a pointless nerfing of a valid skillset)
That's what I discovered when I tried.... Oh well, I guess it wouldn't be "fair" if Bards could provo everything....

PsychoKinetic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mages can cast at anything. Warriors can attack anything. Tamers can "All Kill" anything.

If there is a reason to nerf bards in this manner, Ive never heard why.

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mages can cast at anything. Warriors can attack anything. Tamers can "All Kill" anything.
There is one axception to the tamer example.
In order to attack mechanical enemies, the tamer has to tell the pet to guard, them, and then attack the mechanical, so that the pet will guard them from the thing that is now attacking the tamer they're guarding.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor

If there is a reason to nerf bards in this manner, Ive never heard why.
i kinda agree with NOT being able to bard mechanical critters.

cause really what effect would music have on a machine, no?

PsychoKinetic

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have never agreed with the addition of "mechanicals" to UO in the first place. But that's a discussion for a different thread. Given that they are here though, by their very nature, I agree that barding should not affect them.

And even I though fully understand (and agree with) why the devs feel that some high-end non-mechanical creatures should be immune to the bard skill set I don't think that its ever been appropriately explained in an in-game context.

For instance the ronin (and also ninja) mentioned in the original post. Are they non-bardable because they're human? That won't quite work because there are other humans in-game that can be barded. Are they too smart to be influenced by bards? Again, there are creatures in-game that lore much more intelligent than they do.

I know I would have a much easier time accepting why my bard is nerfed if I could hear a reasonable in-game explanation.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I could not agree more with you on the ronin and ninja thing there

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
maybe its the whole lute vs bamboo flute controversy all over again.