• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] roadblock at 107 smithing?

J

[JD]

gained really well up to 107 smithing. multiple gains, each time i made stuff.
doing royal circlets and switched to boomerangs. gains slowed. bigtime. ill make 50 boomerangs and not even one .1.

whats the deal? im at 65% success rate, should be gaining.
come to think of it, imbuing gains mega slowed at 107 too. like theres some sorta hidden huge hurdle.
should i be making something else or is this natural?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's natural.

While you'll average 2 or 3 gains per 100 items - you'll get spurts where you'll get 5 or more gains in 100 items, then go 300+ items without one. It seems a lot worse using boomerangs, because you have to stop to recycle 3 times more often (because of weight) than with the lightweight royal circlets (that you can make 100+ at a time with make max), because you mind wants to equate the two stop points where you salvage bag fills up, as being the same number of items (instead of boomerangs stopping from weight, while the circlets stop from hitting max items carryable).

That psychological aspect (circlets taking less cycles of crafting, though the cycles actually make many more items than using boomerangs) is why I just stick with the royal circlets on my training.

J

[JD]

im up to 113 now... still slowing. wish there was something else i could make which was efficient on the ingots. is there some trick i could use, like a newbie discorder in fel or something

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Welcome to Smithing you are getting close sounds like you are gaining ok it just seems to take forever the closer you get!

V

vinque

As someone who returned a few months ago and decided to "finally" take my smith to legendary, I can say I don't remember it being too bad at all. I don't know of any tricks, but doing boomerangs and recyclying/salvaging when I got "overloaded"(about 80 or so boomerangs), I remember averaging 1-2 gains per cycle up until about 118, that's when I noticed a slow down(gaining about once per 2 cycles).
Also, not to discourage, but you shouldn't be in too big a hurry. Legendary Smith is not nearly as exciting as I'd hoped.

J

[JD]

i just have so little left to look forward to on my dead-arse server that crafting is all i have left. heh

i'll go several tongs before i even get a .1 ... not sure whats going on.

im just using the gcs system for the now

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Do remember to use a salvage bag, and mining gloves to put you to 101.1 mining or higher during training.

Example numbers

Circlets/Royal Circlets:
100 Mining: 3 of 6 ingots returned. (66.0% of your ingots, truncated/rounded down to whole ingots only, per item)
100 Mining with Salvage bag: 4 of 6 ingots returned (66.0% of your ingots, rounded down per item, plus the bonus 1 ingot per item)
101.1 mining without using salvage bag: 4 of 6 ingots returned (67.32% (or more, if higher than 101.1) of your ingots returned, rounded down; the rounding causes 101.0 to be no different from GM)
101.1+ Mining with Salvage bag: 5 of 6 ingots returned (67.32%+ ingot return, plus the 1 bonus ingot for using the bag).

These rounding issues make it to where it is best to make only items that use multiples of 3 ingots per items, and use studded or ringmail mining gloves with GM real mining, making items in the Salvage bag, and recycling with it.

As I noted above (And possibly in my skill guides for training Blacksmithing), above 110, and especially as you get close to 120, you'll sometimes go several bags/several tools without even a single 0.1 gain - then suddenly get 2, 3, 4 or more from one single tool. It's that broken, Streak-prone RNG at work - much like how you can go 1-2 gargoyle pickaxes without an elemental spawning, then get 2-5 in 10 swings (and I tell you, getting 5 shadow iron elementals in 9 swings of a 10 swing "target relative (ore)" macro can be a hell of a rush - which quickly led me to delete that UO Assist macro and go back to a simple "last object, last target" UO macro, since I was mining exclusively in Ilshenar at the time).

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I remember about getting to 120 was that it was slow till 119 then it went quickly to 120........well maybe not but each gain above 119 was great.......it was like I could see the light at the end of the tunnel and I knew soon I would be through. Till then though it was tough. Now the way the crafting menus are you can make a pile of stuff with just a couple clicks then recycle instantly which is a vast improvement. I used uo assist. My usual approach to no gain was to go do something else and forget about smithing for the day. If I got gains then I would keep at it longer. It seems to me that there were spurts of gain and if you wait for them you maximise your time spent doing smithing. Well that was my philosophy and probably Basara will come in and correct me with accurate facts and figures but that was my way of looking at it.
:gee:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, you're really just saying the same thing as me.

When you're working toward 119, time seems to drag on forever, but from 119 to 120, it can either continue to seem to drag, or go fast, depending on your mental outlook more than the time to gain.

Imbuing was the same way for me. The gains weren't REALLY faster after 119, but they seemed it because I was counting down to 120...

S

StaticOnAtlantic

Here is the EXACT list I followed. 120 in 5-7 days of me an UOassist working together like the kebler elves.

106-108.9-Platemail Gloves
109-116-Plate arms
116-118-Plate legs
118-120- Tunics

It took me 100k in iron and I did switch it up once in awhile. But its a numbers game. good luck