• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RNG and Loot drops

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So I have tried for years to get Insane Tinker Legs off the renowned Wyvern probably killed 3000+ and never a single Tinker Legs. I have killed 23 over the last 3 days and gotten 4 Tinker Leg drops. Don't know if the pub did something to loot drops or if the RNG stopped hating me. Either way I am not complaining that I finally have some but at the same time very frustrated to have killed thousands and gotten basically zilch. Anyone else seeing a uptick in higher end loot drops?

Garen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since Pub 94 I have received about 10 Virtue artifacts. Before Pub 94 I received zero.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Persistent.

The worst part of the RNG is you farm for hours on end without getting anything, then someone else comes along and gets what you're looking for on the first try.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Persistent.

The worst part of the RNG is you farm for hours on end without getting anything, then someone else comes along and gets what you're looking for on the first try.
LOL did that with the slither a couple hundred runs and nothing take a friend with me and she pops one her first time there! Screw it I bought a slither :)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Back around the time of the Kingdom Reborn launch, we finally convinced Draconi and others to look at the RNG.

It turns out we were right all along - the RNG is EXTREMELY prone to streaks, on the small scale.

However, as all the tests people normally do to test "randomness" are large scale (hundreds of thousands, if not millions of samples), previous examinations had missed it, because the small-scale streaks could occur at ALL points on the curve, resulting in all the streaks averaging out in the big tests.

Draconi had developed and was internally testing a new RNG when he was let go from EA, and the RNG replacement plans apparently ended there.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At least the slot drop enough to keep you interested and pulling the one armed bandit :)
I went to Reno one year and every jackpot you got a bottle of wine and by the time I got done I had a case of good wine and a dinner for two plus enough money to pay for the 3 day weekend trip LOL, never had that happen again.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its all down to ya player name methinks
You know I think there might be some truth behind that theory. Two characters geared identical One is a Tyrath the other Old Uncle Perv only difference in their gear/luck is one Tyrath is 120 swords and Perv is 120 fencing and of course the weapon Tyrath typically scores crap for loot, while Perv does on average about 50-75 percent better overall. So does the RNG Like Fencers more than swordsmen or Perverts more than Tyraths.... Must ponder this now.