• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Riding a pet, without taming! Dangerous?

Evi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done some testing on the TC and noticed you can continue to ride tougher pets like cu sidhes, reptalons, etc after putting all of your taming and lore skill into a soulstone. I'm not saying this is a bug, because the pet surely does stop obeying me. When I'm going for some pvp every now and then, this seems like a great tactic though as I can bring an almost unkillable mount with me without it costing me skill points.

This brings me to my question, why do I never hear about anyone using this method? Is there some caveat I'm missing? Input from people who have tried this would be greatly appreciated.

(Edit) The main reason I want a real pet with me is so that I can remount without casting an ethereal one. And if I just bring a horse, well... I'm one energy bolt away from being mountless...

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you dump your skills after taming the pet then your on borrowed time.
If its a ridable then your safe aslong as you DONT dismount, if you do then its just a game of chance.

You cant command your pet to do anything reliably enough to make it worth doing this and chances are if it dis-owns (which it will do) you then your its 1st target.

Good in theory if you just want to cause a distraction by having other PvP'ers laugh at you but not good in practice, which is also why nobody does this. ;)

Evi

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you try to give the pet commands, it will disown within a few commands, true. But I haven't seen any drop in happiness when I don't give it commands. :eek:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also if your dismounted via a bola or player skill, then you have the remount debuff timer added. Seems an aweful amount of stress just to have basically a horse.
Your also up **** creek once somebody kills said pet as you then lack the skills to rez it or get it to follow you to a safe point while dead.

Nah, just to many negatives to be usefull but please try it in PvP, we always like a good laugh ;)

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have a question kinda along the same lines, i been thinking about moving tame/lore to soulstones to try out mysticism, but my stable to full of pets, and of course your stable slots is dependent on your tame and lore, so what happens to my stable slots/pets if i do that?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your pets will stay in the stables, BUT if you pull one out and you no longer have the extra stable slots then you will be unable to stable any pets until you have the extra slots again.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your pets will stay in the stables, BUT if you pull one out and you no longer have the extra stable slots then you will be unable to stable any pets until you have the extra slots again.
Which i find maddening btw. If you have bushido (is that ever used in pvp?) You can use a lesser hiryu without taming.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which i find maddening btw. If you have bushido (is that ever used in pvp?) You can use a lesser hiryu without taming.
Back during SE/ML, i PvPed on a Samurai/Swordsman, was pretty damn effective back then. I did run around on a trained Lesser Hiryu as well. I have a Midnight Blue (rarest color) Lesser Hiryu with 108.0 Wrest, and i would have him Guard me while riding him. I would charge at someone with Riding Swipe ready, and a split second before i collided with them, i'd hop off my Lesser Hiryu and hit the person with Riding Swipe, dismounting them and causing my Lesser Hiryu to attack either their mount (if they had one), or them. He'd do like 19-25 damage a hit to someone, and insta kill their horse.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've done some testing on the TC and noticed you can continue to ride tougher pets like cu sidhes, reptalons, etc after putting all of your taming and lore skill into a soulstone. I'm not saying this is a bug, because the pet surely does stop obeying me. When I'm going for some pvp every now and then, this seems like a great tactic though as I can bring an almost unkillable mount with me without it costing me skill points.

This brings me to my question, why do I never hear about anyone using this method? Is there some caveat I'm missing? Input from people who have tried this would be greatly appreciated.

(Edit) The main reason I want a real pet with me is so that I can remount without casting an ethereal one. And if I just bring a horse, well... I'm one energy bolt away from being mountless...
I used to know someone who did this with a nightmare. Every time it died I got a message to come rez it for him. He had to go home then log out/in to get the ghost to his house. I believe he made the mistake of saying 'all follow me' just once and the mare went wild.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Little off topic here but do lessers do that lowering of physical resist attack? If so that plus onslaught could prove to be a reason to play around with it.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you have 0 chance of controlling your pet will it even let you remount it if you get dismounted?

Mina_Lino

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lino transfered his taming skill to an other char.

He still has his TB mare and he can still ride it.
He just friended me to his mare...so i feed it...and i ask it to follow him.

Voila done.

But it's only for the show.
Don't go out pvp-ing on your mare...