• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Revelation by Fireside

McIan

Journeyman
Sitting by the glowing fireplace, Scar, deep in thought, lounged in a cushioned chair. He had two major problems. One, his dear friend Korbin had been kidnapped by the pirate queen’s forces during an ambush on Papua. This had to be considered well, for if he acted hastily, it might result in his friend’s death, or worse. The second was the formula he was sent by an anonymous person. It was some kind of potion or elixir of enhancing the powers of an animal or creature. He knew it was not meant for him; he needed no such enhancement were he to shape change. Fortunately, the medicinal advice and supplies he had secured from the swamp witch and James both quelled, at least during necessary times of the full moon, his overwhelming urge to do that… as long as he remained relatively stress free… which he earnestly, and with aid, strived to do.

The front door opened and Vospar Nylam, Magnus’ older brother, stepped through. A chill blew in behind him as he closed it and wiped his feet on the mat. “Autumn is making itself felt,” he stated, shivering. “I may need to break out my cold-weather clothes,” he added.

Scar nodded and motioned him over to sit down in an adjacent seat. “The fire will warm you. Join me, will you?”

Vospar nodded and complied. Spying a bottle of wine and two goblets, he poured himself one and offered one to Scar, who smiled, nodding. He poured the wine and handed one to Scar.

Noticing the paper Scar was holding, Vospar spoke up. “What is that you are reading, if I may ask?”

Scar sighed. “It is a formula for some kind of potion or elixir. It arrived via a courier from an unknown source. I have showed it around but no one is certain what it is, much less who sent it. I am pondering it again,” he explained.

“May I see it?” Vospar took a sip of his wine.

Scar leaned over and handed it to him, quaffing his wine and reaching for the bottle to pour another.

Vospar took the paper and began reading it. His eyes widened. He brought the paper close to his eyes and then back out again as if trying to focus on something.

“What’s wrong?” Scar inquired, noting the odd behavior.

“This writing! I would bet my life that it is my brother, Magnus’! It is his, I swear it! I would know it anywhere! We used to communicate almost always by letters, and this is his by the gods!! Look! He makes his “t” just this way, and the slant… it all fits!” he loudly exclaimed, showing what he meant by showing him the script and pointing to the letter.

“Magnus? Why would he write this to me?”

Vospar examined the letter carefully. “Well, you are correct. This is a formula for a potion and my experience as a son of nature tells me it is for some kind of animal or beast. I dare say it is to make it more powerful and battle worthy. In fact, it would make the creature much larger and able to take a lot of damage.”

Now Scar’s eyes widened. He sat up in the chair, then placed his goblet on the small table between them. “Of course! How stupid of me! It is a potion used to create the wolves that are attacking Delucia and Papua!! Someone sent me the formula; told me I must figure out the rest!”

“But why would my brother send it to you? And where is he? What is going on?” Vospar’s facial expression revealed concern and hope intermingled.

The time had come. There was no more use in hiding the information, even if it meant alienation from this good, honest, man he had come to know and love as his own brother. He sat back in the chair and sighed, locking eyes with Vospar who remained leaning forward. “There is something I must tell you, friend, dear friend, that I have kept from you. Hear me out. I kept it from you to protect you from hurt, from pain. I know it was wrong of me to do that, and if you hate me, despise me for keeping it from you, I would not blame you…”

Vospar sat back in the chair. He took a deep gulp of his wine, staring at the wall in front of him. “Tell me everything. I am ready my friend.”

McIan

Journeyman
The Why of It

He had waited from dusk to dawn all day before finally seeing the familiar, hooded, red-robed, figure appear in front of the building named Dominion Vault… and it was dusk again. He strolled from the shadows of the adjacent building, Alderia’s Oasis, and approached him. “Magnus!” Scar called out before stopping some distance away. He held no weapons, having left sword, shield, and armor behind. Instead, his arms were at his side, palms out.

The figure stopped, turning to face him. “Scar,” he said simply.

“Thank you for helping me. I now know what we face, and possibly why.”

Magnus paused. “How did I do that, pray tell?” he asked, his voice raspy, unearthly.

“The formula you sent. I know it was you. I showed it to your brother. He recognized the writing immediately. I had to tell him everything. He has been searching for you, but I kept it hidden from him all this time.”

“You should not have!”

“It had to be. He has been searching far and wide for you. I knew it wasted his time… but it gave him hope, even if I knew it were a hopeless hope.”

Magnus looked about. “Is he with you now?”

Scar shook his head. “No. I came alone. I simply want to know why you did it. It makes no sense.”

“I have my reasons. Let it be.”

“Well, it will help us defeat the creature or creatures remaining… now that we know precisely what we are facing. It was a benevolent act.”

“And that surprises you?”

“Why wouldn’t it?”

“Indeed… well, suffice to say I have my reasons, or did. Seems it was not enough to matter.”

“It matters to me.”

Magnus chuckled. “That is something, I suppose. No, I mean to those who have cursed me. I am a walking dead man… slain by your father… cursed by the gods. They told me I must perform some highly benevolent act to be free of it. I had hoped that act would be enough. Obviously, it was not.”

“Then you desire to be free! So there remains in you a part that still seeks the Light. You still want to be what you were once, don’t you?”

Magnus snorted. “I must be going now. Leave in peace. Do not seek me out again.” He turned toward the door to the Vault.

“Perhaps one more deed is all that is required… something greater perhaps?”

Magnus stopped and turned back around. “I tried and failed. I was a fool for believing.”

“Tell me who is responsible for these attacks… these killings in Delucia and Papua. Name the one who is behind it, or do I need to bother guessing at all?”

Magnus laughed, a gurgling sound that made Scar’s flesh crawl. “You know who, but I will tell you so you will leave. It is your own father, who has restored his flesh, even if it meant he became a dark elf in so doing. His name is now Damian, Damian Racsen, which, by the by, comprises all the letters of his original. He wants you to despair, dishonor yourself among your friends to the point of rejection by them. He wants you back with him once more, under his tutelage and control. He will do anything to have you again by his side. Now… are you satisfied?”

Scar blanched. “I suspected as much. It might have worked as I have been humiliated and stand to receive even more.” He sucked in his breath resolutely. “I will never go back! If the entire world, if Demi herself, consigns me to oblivion. If I lose everything, I will not go back to the vile ways of the Necromari. That is all behind me… forever!”

Magnus lowered his head. “Then you are stronger than I. Yet it was not he who changed me, but love, like I told you.” He chuckled. “You are blessed. Your love… Deminatza… saved you. My love, Virani, has cursed me. Yet, like fools, we embrace it anyway. Great power love has. No?”

“You can be saved. If it is true love, and you return to the Light, she will follow you. If it was never love, she will forsake you. Why not put it to the test?”

Magnus chuckled. “I will if you will,” he replied.

Scar thought for a moment. “I have. She knows what I was and what I am now, and she loves me still. I need not test her anymore. I know her. I trust her. She believes in me, but more, she believes that good lies at the core of every sentient being… and she will bring it out if she can.”

“That is lunacy.”

“It is her way, and I am beginning to believe it myself.”

There was a long pause again. “You have given me much to consider and I shall. About my brother… tell him I will speak to him in time, but I must choose that, and the place. Tell him… tell him… he is forever in my heart, but let not him confuse hope with reality.”

Scar nodded. “I will tell him.”

“Fare thee well, son of the Elder. It was good to call you friend back then, and so it is now.”

“Farewell, friend, Magnus.”

Scar turned away, heading back to Sanctuary, where he knew Vospar was waiting.

McIan

Journeyman
Painful Parting

It was clearly time to go; he had made a terrible mess of things. Magnus looked around the room, the one he had shared with Virani for a long while, believing it would be the last time he would ever see it again, or her.

Why did I tell her? She might never have found out. In telling her about my conversation with Scar I have undone everything. She is lost to me now.

He paused, lowering his head. He had told her at the castle and she, as he expected, had reviled him.

You have chosen your dream over me! You have betrayed the Necromari! Go!

He could not make her understand that he was doing it for her… for them. He wanted to be a man again, flesh and blood, so they could be wed and live normal lives again. He had seen the way Damian looked at her, as his consort, his mistress, his queen, and it revolted him. Sharing her was not the same, now that Damian was flesh. He, an accursed, skeletal, monstrosity, and Damian, the dark elf… a real man.

He sighed… then laughed… the very breath he took was unnatural to the point of not even being necessary for continued life like normal creatures. It only served to enable him to speak, and even then it was a raspy gurgle… repulsive, grim, and unholy.

I must be free of this curse! I will do anything… please… gods, if you hear me… help me to be free!

His few belongings being packed, he considered leaving a note.

No. She hates me now. She would destroy it. I will take the eternal rose I gave her… then she will know I have truly gone… if she even cares.

Taking one last look at the room they shared and the view of the emerald crystal forest beyond the open windows, he went out the door… and far away.

McIan

Journeyman
Brotherly Love

Although he was not comfortable with it, Vospar agreed to meet his younger brother Magnus at the tent-tavern, Ghast Refectory, in Umbra. He arrived early and ordered some food and drink, first just to see what fare they offered, for evaluation purposes, and then to eat, if possible. To his delight, the food was quite normal and nourishing.

Although Vospar did not recognize him in his crimson, hooded, robe, Magnus entered and sat down across from him. “Good day, brother,” he greeted. “You are looking well, fit and healthy for your age,” he teased.

Vospar observed him carefully. He could see little behind the shadows of the cowling, but the voice took him aback; he barely recognized it. “Greetings brother. It… it is good to see you again.”

Magnus laughed but stifled it quickly; it sounded like gargled water. “Are you sure?”

“Yes. I have searched all over the realms looking for you… many days and months. When Scar told me you were alive, I rejoiced!”

“Alive? He did you a disservice if you have hope. I am anything but alive.”

“You are here, before me. That is enough… for now. I came here to help you. I know you can be restored. There are ways.”

“Then Scar did not tell you that such is impossible! I am cursed by the gods for abandoning my faith for love’s sake. They, whoever or whatever they are, decreed that I am irredeemable until I redeem myself by some magnificent charitable act. I tried that and it failed.”

“There are other ways. There are many gods… and goddesses, each with degrees of power and who often cooperate with each other. I know of one. You knew her. She can restore you,” Vospar argued passionately.

“Quaestra Concordia? Yes, I followed her. But no doubt she is offended also by my choices. Why would she help me?”

“Because she understands love. She understands the need for balance. Why do I tell you these things? You know them already! I will petition her for aid, beg her, trade my own life if necessary, to save you, to restore you.”

Magnus paused, and sighed. “Save me. Yes. That is another issue. For one to be saved, one must desire it. I am not sure I do. I desire my humanity. It was taken from me by the Elder. He killed me and let the gods curse me, like they did him. Even if my humanity was restored, I am not sure I could become what I was.”

“You could! I know you could! And this love… this woman… Virani? You could save her too I’d wager! You could both thwart the aims of that madman in doing this!”

“Tis a thought. What do you propose?”

“I will pray to the goddess for guidance. She will show me how. I will do all that is possible. Will you let me do this?”

The death knight gazed into the pleading eyes of his brother, and simply nodded.