• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning to UO Catskills after 13+ years!

Feather

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hello all!

A few weeks ago, I was talking to a friend I used to play UO with and it got me a little nostalgic. Found old screenshots and did a quick google search to see what had ever happened to the game. Finding out that not only is UO still going strong and releasing expansions, but giving us veteran players (and newbies) a chance to come play for free with Endless Journey. I played for 2 days before going all in, buying the expansions, and subscribing!

I played back in 2000 to probably 2004. A few of my characters were with the Flying Pickles guild (..yeah.. i know lol). My mage/tamer Firebug, my crafter Feather, and my alchemist Moonshine were my usual characters. I've got a plot just north of dungeon Wrong (Trammel) if anybody feels like stopping by to say hi!

First question.. where does everybody hang out these days? I've found sooo many of my recall runes are dead and/or the shops are gone. Only seen a few odd souls at Brit bank. More at Luna bank.

Second question.. where have all the shops that are actually selling things gone? So many I've seen are only using vendors as storage. Even Luna is a bit bare for vendor goods.

It's good to be back again! See you in game.

Feather

(I also posted this on the general: welcomes and introductions board)
The advice, so far, from there has been that Catskills isn't worth the bother.. transfer to Atlantic.. =(

Aedon Durreah

Village of Aegis
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Catskills is rather active for those into RP. Not sure how it stacks up against other shards when it comes to raiding or PVP. Not two things which interest me. I do see though in chat groups heading our every night, several times a night to do champ spawns or dungeons. I hope you find some folks that share your interests. Either way, welcome back to UO.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well no doubt Atlantic is way more populated but I have a lot fun on Catskills you just need to find the kind of people you preffer, like do you PVM, PVP or RP? then for venders please use the new Vender search on u character by single clicking it. and if you need help theres plenty in game to help....try getting icq set up and look for the group Chronicles of Catskills or add me to ICQ 339303759

Boudro

Visitor
Hello all!

A few weeks ago, I was talking to a friend I used to play UO with and it got me a little nostalgic. Found old screenshots and did a quick google search to see what had ever happened to the game. Finding out that not only is UO still going strong and releasing expansions, but giving us veteran players (and newbies) a chance to come play for free with Endless Journey. I played for 2 days before going all in, buying the expansions, and subscribing!

I played back in 2000 to probably 2004. A few of my characters were with the Flying Pickles guild (..yeah.. i know lol). My mage/tamer Firebug, my crafter Feather, and my alchemist Moonshine were my usual characters. I've got a plot just north of dungeon Wrong (Trammel) if anybody feels like stopping by to say hi!

First question.. where does everybody hang out these days? I've found sooo many of my recall runes are dead and/or the shops are gone. Only seen a few odd souls at Brit bank. More at Luna bank.

Second question.. where have all the shops that are actually selling things gone? So many I've seen are only using vendors as storage. Even Luna is a bit bare for vendor goods.

Feather

The advice, so far, from there has been that Catskills isn't worth the bother.. transfer to Atlantic.. =(
Good Morning,
I too came back from a long Hiatus (12+yrs) so welcome back. There is a lot out there to explore and do.

Yes to Luna Bank, that seems to be the hangout since you have almost everything within reach there - Smithy-Tailor-Mage Shop-Prov shop etc etc

Shops are pretty much dead outside of Luna, but the vendor search works pretty good in Enhanced Client only.

Not many Power Scrolls for sale and it's tough trying to do the spawns in Felucia because they are pretty much camped and monitored. Funny they will wait til you reach the 3-4 they come in and PK you and then bring in their Blue peeps haha So be careful of Abigail and her Friends.

I always had my account on Cats, so I couldn't tell you ATL would be any better.

Good Luck in your adventures.

Phantasmagorian

Sage
Supporter
Good Morning,
I too came back from a long Hiatus (12+yrs) so welcome back. There is a lot out there to explore and do.

Yes to Luna Bank, that seems to be the hangout since you have almost everything within reach there - Smithy-Tailor-Mage Shop-Prov shop etc etc

Shops are pretty much dead outside of Luna, but the vendor search works pretty good in Enhanced Client only.

Not many Power Scrolls for sale and it's tough trying to do the spawns in Felucia because they are pretty much camped and monitored. Funny they will wait til you reach the 3-4 they come in and PK you and then bring in their Blue peeps haha So be careful of Abigail and her Friends.

I always had my account on Cats, so I couldn't tell you ATL would be any better.

Good Luck in your adventures.
Atlantic is much better. It's nearly a crime to recommend any other shard to a player who wants a normal and full MMORPG experience. Sure, there are vets with shard shields, people who insist on having their 8-person club on some empty shard and all these things.. but a large-sized, vibrant community.. with tons of serendipity, fun adventure, new people, stocked vendors and interesting group mechanics, big guilds to choose from, and such, will not be found on those shards.

Judas D'arc

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is the best advice. You are missing out on too much by being on a dead or semi-dead shard.
Catskills is hardly a dead shard. We have plenty of regular events and activities for a variety of play styles. There's more to UO than Atlantic.

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Atlantic is much better. It's nearly a crime to recommend any other shard to a player who wants a normal and full MMORPG experience. Sure, there are vets with shard shields, people who insist on having their 8-person club on some empty shard and all these things.. but a large-sized, vibrant community.. with tons of serendipity, fun adventure, new people, stocked vendors and interesting group mechanics, big guilds to choose from, and such, will not be found on those shards.
Have you even got a char on Catskills or attempted to reach out to the active guilds of every play type? With that said its somewhat unfair you Judge us

Jaden Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
I do play both Atl and cats and I find Atl Rude and most are just plain asses, doing spawns unless you are in with a good group of PVPers is out , no RP I can see at all, PVM is a waiting game to get into anything and the people are somewhat cold. At least Catskills its like the old show "Cheers" everyone knows your name and all are friendly and very helpful

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Hello all!

Feather

Hey Atlantic is overrated and too crowded. Try Cattskills out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nyre

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I agree Atlantic is over crowded and you cant even spawn without being raided by 15 people looking to steal your fun. Catskills has everything to offer someone PVP, PVM and RP Shopping can be done cross shard with many players on Catskills willing to transfer the items for you. Don't let the ignorance of those trolling you take you away from your home shard. I play both Atl and Catskills as well and I have more fun on Catskills.

Feather

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm glad Catskills isn't a wasteland! I've been logging on a refreshing my crafting and tamer memory (lots of cobwebs, folks). Was hilarious getting my butt handed to me by a ice snake until I realised my char didn't have any armor on.. *face/desk* I'm a second shifter, so I'm on during week days from 10 am central to around 2 pm central.

I've never been much into RP, but I'll definitely stop in to say hi. Thanks for the welcome!