• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning tamer questions

JustMe

Adventurer
Returning player from 2000, I have a nightmare and a white wrym that are untrained.the nightmare is only 2 slots but says it can be trained to five slots. but why would you want to do that? If I train my pets I can only have one of them with me but if I leave them untrained I can have both with me. what is the advantage of training a pet? Are there different pets I should be using now? Are dragons any good still? Do people still use pet combos like nightmare White wrym or do they just train a pet and use one now?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
First... I would check out the WW to see what type of WW it is. There are a few different Generations of them and some can be really valuable. A little info on the types here:

Chiv+AI is basically the way to go with White Wyrms. First though, i'd establish what generation of WW it belongs to.

There are currently 4 Generations of WWs.
Gen 1: "Ancients". These refuse to eat gold, roar when commanded (https://uo.stratics.com/hunters/sounds/dragon1.mpg), and have an extremely aggressive AI. Only two "Ancients" are confirmed to still exist in game so far.
Gen 2: "Legacies". These refuse to eat gold, yet grunt when commanded.
Gen 3: "Pre-Patch". These eat gold, grunt when commanded, and could spawn with up to 760 STR at 3 slots (like the previous generations).
Gen 4: "Revamp". These eat gold, grunt when commanded, but spawn with half the minimum STR (360, which is a 3 slot), and are 4 slots when spawning with higher STR.
When it comes to the other stuff.. There are all kinds of pets available now than what was available in 2000. You are in all honesty about to play an all new game on that front. Most folks train their pets to level 5. You seldom see people rolling around with two pets because the level 5 pets are superior by a good bit. When it comes to all things Taming related a returning/new player would not find a better resource than Home | uo-cah.com imho. All kinds of info there.

mihali

Sage
Returning player from 2000, I have a nightmare and a white wrym that are untrained.the nightmare is only 2 slots but says it can be trained to five slots. but why would you want to do that? If I train my pets I can only have one of them with me but if I leave them untrained I can have both with me. what is the advantage of training a pet? Are there different pets I should be using now? Are dragons any good still? Do people still use pet combos like nightmare White wrym or do they just train a pet and use one now?
What @Kylie Kinslayer said and a few other things:
1) Don't start trainin these pets unless you train other pets available now, like Cu Sidhes etc, that are much more expendable, and you can get more if you ruin them.
2) These PP pets you have could be worth 1-1.5 Billion gold as they are now, and completely worthless if you train them wrong, 0 value.
Ancient WWs are super rare, and really really expensive. See if you got one and get more info here.
3) 5 slot pets are very much more powerful than 22 years ago, and can do all sort of content depending on tamers spec, and trained skills on the pet.
4) Plain Dragons and Great Dragons are not as powerful as a 5 slot trained Chicken or Goat.
5) Don't touch you PP pets now, at all, and don't sell in game, as chances are high you may get scammed. If you ever wish to sell, make pictures with windows snipit tool and post all their pages of stats in the forum on the "traders hall" here in stratics and get bids for them.
6) Most tamers do not use combos anymore, as single 5-slot pets are pretty powerful.
There is a little to learn, but use the tamers forum and all the nice work put in by the players here last 2 years and there are specific guides in here on Cus and other pet training. It is worth the time.
Lastly : If it is on, the Test Center (TC1) is a priceless resource to pet training learning and if you ruin the pet there you just delete and recopy the tamer there.
Lastly: One more time ruining your PP pets is something you will very much regret forever. So don't train at this time.
At any time if you have questions ASK here, and chances you will get answers same day some times within a few minutes. Most pple here are super nice.

Have fun and enjoy the game and welcome back to the game.:)

JustMe

Adventurer
Awesome! having problems with screen shot atm but will post pics later. are legacy better hunting pets? are they stronger? what are they worth? WW has 731 str. 110 Dex 388 int Mare has 521 str, 96 dex, 125 int . the mare is a 2 slot and WW 3 slot.

mihali

Sage
Also this subforum has lots of current pet and all sorts of item pricing. Check it out.
That PP WW is good stats means high str and low cold resist, so it is very desirable. He is selling for 1.25 P. May not ever sell, but if hes patient and wait a few days/weeks it may actually sell upwards from 1 P (Platinum=1Billion uo gold).
MAX STR 80 COLD PP WW ON ATLANTIC
He is a trader there and doing pretty well I gather hes selling one like yours there now.

mihali

Sage
Awesome! having problems with screen shot atm but will post pics later. are legacy better hunting pets? are they stronger? what are they worth? WW has 731 str. 110 Dex 388 int Mare has 521 str, 96 dex, 125 int . the mare is a 2 slot and WW 3 slot.
Its ok, when the screen shot of the stats is ready, post it there and get ideas/bids for both pets. PP WW is more valuable than mare, but dont train them for at least 1-2 months till you ruined 2-3 other pets or trained 2 pets etc, then you can try training them in TC1 test ctr, and see what they can do. If you try to train them they loose massive amouts of value even if trained correctly, reason being you may train them for PVM and the buyer wants a pet for PVP, etc.

Starr

Visitor
I, too am a returning player from long ago! Found this thread interesting and just checked the dragons on my main character. Is it only the roar that determines if it is Ancient? My White Wyrm is one of the original model/hue kind and I'll assume just a Legacy pet. But maybe not? Hmmm...... I also remembered them being larger than they seem now but it was a long time ago! :D

Both of my red dragons have over 800 Str and make the roar sound as indicated in the above sound bite. I am glad I did not take them out yet so all are untrained until I learn more.... What do you, who have more knowledge
think of these dragons? Prepatch and Legacy?

WhiteWyrm.jpg RedDragon2Luna.jpg RedDragon.png

mihali

Sage
I, too am a returning player from long ago! Found this thread interesting and just checked the dragons on my main character. Is it only the roar that determines if it is Ancient? My White Wyrm is one of the original model/hue kind and I'll assume just a Legacy pet. But maybe not? Hmmm...... I also remembered them being larger than they seem now but it was a long time ago! :D

Both of my red dragons have over 800 Str and make the roar sound as indicated in the above sound bite. I am glad I did not take them out yet so all are untrained until I learn more.... What do you, who have more knowledge
think of these dragons? Prepatch and Legacy?

View attachment 130165 View attachment 130166 View attachment 130168
The prepatch WW if it roars and does NOT eat gold, is one of the 3 so far in the game, and exceedingly rare, and also super priced likely. Search for the post in Stratics that details these 3 types of PP WWs: Ancient, Legacy and just PP. You may find it very valuable.
The dragons sadly even if they are 3 slot are not very valuable, supposedly, since word has it they go to 4 slots when you try to train them. But copy tamer and stable to TC1 and test to see that they actually go to 4 slot instantly when you start training the dragons. Your WW will not do that. If it roars it could be ancient, but you need to find out if it eats gold.
If indeed it is trully ancient, it may be worth like several Billion gold to some collectors.

Starr

Visitor
Thank you. None of my dragons or WW eat gold. I have 2 other WW on another tamer as well- will not eat gold. All my WW, dragons and nightmares were tamed back between 1998-2000 but I think these are all Legacy pets, maybe Heirloom Legacy? Looking at other sites to determine as well. They do not make the roar that my red dragons make but I thought I remembered they made a different sound anyway. Too long ago that was though.

I never really sold pets, I always liked keeping them. Sentimental :D A lot to learn about training though!

Last edited:

JustMe

Adventurer
finaly able to take screen shots. turns out I have a rune beetle and a cu sidhe all are almost GM wrestling/tactics/anomaty/ resist spells. I decided I want to keep the WW and mare. and I think im going to do a chiv/ai cu sidhe.

Attachments

mihali

Sage
The old Cusidhe if 4 slots likely ok to release. Get a new one easily and train and skill using the guides. The WWs I would not mess with right now unless you wish to sell one. If it is heirloom = ancient will help fund your game needs. But as always get bids in the Traders forum in stratics, not in game, unless you are offered the correct price meaning upwards from 1 Plat or more esp if heirloom.

JustMe

Adventurer
Not Going to sell, I’m going to wait till I know the game a little bit and then train them for my use. I doubt it’s an ancient. Are rune beetles any good?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you. None of my dragons or WW eat gold. I have 2 other WW on another tamer as well- will not eat gold. All my WW, dragons and nightmares were tamed back between 1998-2000 but I think these are all Legacy pets, maybe Heirloom Legacy? Looking at other sites to determine as well. They do not make the roar that my red dragons make but I thought I remembered they made a different sound anyway. Too long ago that was though.

I never really sold pets, I always liked keeping them. Sentimental :D A lot to learn about training though!
There are currently 6 confirmed Gen 1 "Ancient" WWs still in existence in UO. The roar (https://uo.stratics.com/hunters/sounds/dragon1.mpg) is the easiest way to tell if it's a Gen 1 "Ancient" WW. If it doesn't roar, and doesn't eat gold, then it's a Gen 2 "Legacy". Some Gen 1 "Ancient" WWs also have up to 825 STR (like Dragons do). Here's an example of a Gen 1 "Ancient" WW with over 760 STR, Greysky.
GreySky.PNG GreySky 1.PNG GreySky 2.PNG

Starr

Visitor
Thank you. I think it is confirmed now that my 3 are Gen 2 Legacy WW's. They do not eat gold and do not have that particular roar. It would have been awesome to find out they were Ancients but it was fun solving this mystery :D I love them all the same! Like the other returning player, I will wait to train them until I get back into the game more, so many things to relearn. I thank everyone for the responses and information here!

JustMe

Adventurer
just checked my account from 1999, I also have another WW in that stable. the character only has 65 taming skill so it cant control it or lore it(not sure how he got it in the first place) but with that skill, can i transfer it to my other account tamer?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
just checked my account from 1999, I also have another WW in that stable. the character only has 65 taming skill so it cant control it or lore it(not sure how he got it in the first place) but with that skill, can i transfer it to my other account tamer?

Don't think you can xfer it unless you have the appropriate skill level. Heck, at one time the stable would not let you take a pet out of it unless you have the proper level, no clue if that is still the way it is. Can imbue (or have someone inbue) +15 Tame/lore ring and brace... then you should be good to go on a WW.

JustMe

Adventurer
I'm still a little hazzy on the imbuing process. what would I need to have a ring and bracelet imbued to 15 taming? I'm also shy on the animal lore part, so I think i have no choice but to train him a little.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
+15 costs 30 crystalline Black Rock per ring/brac.
+13 just normal ingredients and gems.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is also a +5 tame/lore talisman, and if your uber rich there is also headgear with +10 tame/lore.