• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player!

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi All!

I'm returning to UO after about 6 years (I played a little but in 2009), but before that I played from 98-2001. I've got a few characters built up pretty decently. It seems like my main was a mage; is Ronin's and Shame still a good place to farm gold? I've only got about 80k in the bank and I'd like to work up to a house and a boat eventually. Any general tips for money making?

Seems like there is a decent little community still going around here, looking forward to jumping back in!

Edit: Also, is there any space left for housing to be found, or am I going to need to purchase an already placed house?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You're going to need about 50 Mil for a Tram or Malas 18x18. Anything smaller is pretty easy to get. I gave away a 14x15 for free before moving into my 18x18. It was Tram. Before that I gave away a 9x14 Fel. (I'm still in my first 30 day pay period.)

To make gold easily do stuff that sells to players for millions. Like you could farm merchant boats with High Seas to get the resources to sell. You can get a stack of Valorite quickly and sell for a million. You could farm titans near Honor for artifact level drops if you have the right gear and maybe some reponds.

It's less about killing stuff for gold now.. It's all about selling. Do events as well and hope for an EM drop. Those are always good gold. For our server it's 8 PM EST at Blackthorn Castle's courtyard. EM Bennu tries to keep the events to an hour. He's a great EM.

The key to gold now is to farm up stuff to sell. Blackthorn's castle has a dungeon under it that has a RNG proc as you kill stuff for Minax Artifacts that sell like hotcakes for a few hundred thou a pop.

I think trade agreement runs can get you some nice rewards that sell well.

Just don't try to keep up with the Joneses after a big break. It's not possible and you'll just get frustrated. My advice is to do what you liked doing when you left and do current content... Blackthorn's Castle Dungeon is current, High Seas is Current, Imbuing is Current, Fishing is current. Then as you get bored work your way back through some of the old stuff.

EDIT: Very happy to have you back btw. I'm in a guild called House of Shadows on all my characters. Hit me up if you want to do anything. We have a lot of returning players that regularly farm in Blackthorn's and the titans I was talking about as a group so as to down paragons quickly.

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the reply!

I'd be more than happy with a tiny little house, an 18x18 sounds like a bit much for just jumping back in, guess I'll just keep my eyes open.

A lot of the stuff you talk about is completely foreign to me coming back, do they do the events every night or is that a once in a while thing? Trade agreements, reponds, castle blackthorne, all new!

I'd love to take you up on the offer to join in on same farming in Blackthorn's or titan's sometime. I honestly don't even know what skillset or equipment I need for that kind of stuff at this point.

Much appreciated!

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Which skills are you interested in? We'll help you get a template going for some stuff. Just let us know what you want to try first.

Blackthorns Castle Dungeon has Earth (EDIT: Gold) Elementals that are only slightly harder than the Earth Eles you probably remember. They are a popular farming spot. Everything is pretty separate and on it's own spawn for easy farming.

There are brigands with a single executioner that keeps to himself unless you try to get to him. The executioner is tough but doable in the 80 skill range.
There are greater dragons/dragons that are tough for melee beginners, but if you look up "Sampire" they have easier times with everything. They get skill in Necro for a spell that gives enormous life steal so they take a lot of damage, but get it back as they hit stuff. It's a popular template, but not really new player friendly. The greater dragon and a single Balron are the toughest thing in the dungeon outside of the weird rooms in the back I haven't fiddled with.
There is a library of liches.
There is a room of giant spiders that are easy for melee. Just bring some orange potions to cure poison if you get in trouble.
There is a room of ice stuff like snow elementals.

I think that's it. All relatively easy after training up on New Haven Island a bit.

Titans are just something to farm. If farming in Ilsh they have a chance at a paragon version that is tough to run from and about 3x as hard as a normal version. The normal versions drop good gold and loot. The paragons drop even better loot and a chance at a paragon chest with more stuff in it. I'd rank titans up there with Liches. Maybe a bit harder. Reponds are a slayer weapon for humanoids and giants like titans/Cyclops/Ettins.

Trade agreements I haven't tried much, but they give good gold when you get the rewards. You go to a city and a trade person will give you a crate to put goods into. You take that crate to the town they tell you too. On the way things will spawn to attack you. If you run from them it lowers the loot at the end. I also think Moongates are not useable or lower the reward to the point that it doesn't make it worth it. Obviously the trouble with these is going to islands without recalling or gating. You'll need a ship. And I've always had more trouble with water born monsters.

High Seas is an expansion that lets you get a more controllable boat with cannons and attack merchant/pirate ships. It also increases the fishing stuff. Merchant ships are by far the easiest way to get high quality resources like Barbed Leather, and Valorite, and the rare board type whatever it is that escapes me. Yea... wood has types now.

I personally like the plant system and fighting paragons. I'm trying for a chest from every paragon because they have a tag on them that says Paragon chest from Titan for example.

EDIT: Oh hey, Mysticism is the easy taming thing. Just grinding Mysticism up to 100 and start dropping their summonable Raging Colosus and it's just as good as a greater dragon tamers have. It's a lot easier to train up too.

Last edited:

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ok, so sounds like farming Blackthorn is the way to go, or fishing. I have a 7x GM mage that sounds like could hold up ok in Blackthorn, now I just need to seek out some runebooks for it!

I really appreciate the info and would love to dungeon farm in game with you.

Thanks again!

oh and if you hear about some cheap houses around let me know, I need a place!

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Will do. :) You can't rune to the Blackthorn dungeon, but you can rune to the outside and run in. It will dismount and stable pets automatically in the castle because a lot of player events happen there. The Castle is in Britain. There is a hitching post inside the dungeon to pull out mounts once you get inside.

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Ok bonus question, is there a good way to know what items I should farm for? I'm able to tear through golden elementals pretty easy, do they drop something I should look for? Or should I be seeking harder stuff?

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Drop the gold ore on the ground in a pile and ad for a miner to come smelt it for you. That'll sell good. Ummmm... No I find it hard to tell what items will sell good. The labels lesser/minor/Greater/Artifact items at the bottom just kind of identify the "weight" of all the bonuses. From what I've been told you're looking for max intensity items that can be insured (Not cursed.) and with bonuses that combine well. Also, items that have bonuses that aren't normally imbuable on that slot. Like Swing Speed Increase on a ring. Because you can't imbue Swing Speed Increase on a ring. So a max intensity swing speed increase ring with very little else on it sells great.

Splintering weapons that have SSI and Mana Drain are good.. 100% poison weapons sell well... Defense Chance increase and High 80% + Life Drain weapons. Look up Sampire suits. Stuff with that kind of thing but with high intensity. Should say at least lesser artifact unless it's a clean item with an unimbuable bonus.

That's just what I've gathered so far. Hopefully someone can put it better than I can. For armor keep yourself at all 70 resists in your stats menu always.

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Thanks again for all the info! I feel like a total noob getting back into it, but I'm having a blast so far.

TheMadCelt

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back! I just returned myself so if you're looking for somebody to noob it up with, I'm your guy! :D

Goblin, thanks for the information you shared, very helpful!

Dinurth

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back! I just returned myself so if you're looking for somebody to noob it up with, I'm your guy! :D

Goblin, thanks for the information you shared, very helpful!
Welcome back! My time is pretty limited but we can certainly do some farming sometime. If I'm on it's usually between 7-11pm CST. Feel free to hit me up!

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
You might see us hanging out at Haven Mint. H^S is the guild tag and it's House of Shadows. Welcome to ask if anythings going on and play with us.