• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player - what state is pvp in today?

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I played UO for 5 years, leaving around 5-6 years ago - and have decided to give it another whirl, though maybe not *quite* as obsessively as last time..;p. Having left just as power scrolls etc were entering the game, I see a lot has changed. There are a number of areas where I would dearly like some advice or current information:

1. How does the current balance between dexers, mages and stealthers lie? How long do fights last assuming no ganking? Is there time for healing skills - potions, Chiv, Bushido, magery etc - to have a decisive effect on the outcome of a 1 v 1 or is damage output so high that their effect is minimal?

2. I started with the assumption that I would make a stealther as this is the playstyle I am most comfortable with. The template decisions now are very tight... The biggest decision seems to be whether or not to retain Poisoning for Infectious Strike - in whuch case Fencing is required - or to use a mule to poison Shuriken and rely in Ninj to poison (albeit not with any chance of top level poison).

So - how hard is it now to cure lvl 5 poison by the various means available? It used to be significantly harder and unless successful, the fight was over. Is that still the case? I assume that ppl will run with close to max poison resists - does that mean that there is a 70% chance of outright resisting any attempt to poison a target? Do the higher level poisons overwrite lower ones?

If Lvl 5 poison is still deadly, then the investment in Poisoning might be worthwhile. If, on the other hand, it is reliably curable, then lvl 4 might suffice and the points be used elsewhere to either boost offence or provide healing/recovery.

3. Equipment. There are so many new items available over and above crafted ones. In fact, most of the artifacts look to be easier to obtain that a valorite hammer..;p

Are there any items, weapons or armour considered to be *must haves*? I see that mage armour doesn't inhibit stealth and that there are reasonably good plate artifacts with the mage quality. Would it be feasible to try and design a template based on these rather that the traditional leather/studded? I'm not impressed by the "assassin armour" at all from what I have seen. So - suggestions for items and armour?

Weapons. As a Fencer, I setteled on Enchanted Titan Legbone as the mainstay weapon. Fast, 40% Lightning, 40% lower defence, 10% Hit chance, 20% Damage (bit low considering player made can get 40%). Main disadvantage is that it is 2 handed - but they are widely available for less than 5k on Europa. Backups are DP'd crafted daggers or Night's Kiss/Flesh Ripper. However, for PvP I was considering a switch to Darkened Sky as main: 60% Lightning, 25% swing speed, 50% damage (I know the pvp cap) - very fast with the speed increase and greater agility but still 2 handed. The specials aren't that good for pvp unless in a large melee.

So - I'm sure there are better weapons - any suggestions? Of course, if one drops Poisoning then both Swords and Mace look better options...

That's enough for now. ...;p I have more questions but I'd better keep this post readable.

Thanks in advance for any help with the above.

G

Sorry I just sorta skimmed over the post and you seem well informed. Try a ninja, with the stealth and fencing, all i remmber to comment about sorry heh, think youll have fun there, yeah try a ninja. Oh wow considering duration of a long fight, well ive seen some dexxors go at it a good 20 minutes before calling it a draw, and ive seen some mages go at it for better then 30 minutes straight nonstop casting standing in one spot seriously, but the majority of fights, well for me anyway good or bad last about 3 secounds heh. Im usually on the recieveing end of the grey screen though! so dont listen to me.

sorry quick edit, there arent too many folks out there that use the arties when pvping, crafted and enhanced is where its for sure

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the input...I actually posted this on the Ninja board as well and got a number of useful replies. If anyone else is debating these issues, that thread is worth a visit too.

Crafted items for pvp...mm...it always used to make sense - now I'm not so sure. The prices being asked for some of those Balanced crafted bows for instance...insane 2-3 million. Melee weapons are cheaper but still multiple 100k's for the good ones. So it's pay up or make your own - which means hours and hours crafting and BOD'ing...pfft.

Artifacts are, in many cases, cheaper and some are even blessed. An example would be the Royal Leggings of Ember: Total 70 resists, Blessed, Mage and Repair 10 (5 is all that is needed to never degrade I understand). Ok - no Cold but there are numerous complimentary items with high Cold - Hunter headress for instance. The point is, with total of 350-370 resists needed (20 extra in Fire vs Corpse Skin), 2-3 Artifact items would seem to form a solid base for building a suit. Flesh out the rest of the suit in crafted for the HCI, DCI, FC and FCR - use ring/bracer for skills....but I expect this is all old news to most ppl...for me it's still new..;p

Even at 600 a pop, insurance on key stuff makes obvious sense. You have to be prepared to lose pots, regs, bandies and the like if you die. Ninja belt I have already Blessed, considering doing another one..

Last thing I'll do before reentering pvp properly is get Sacrifice virtue up to the point of self-res...was always a nice move when ppl didnt have time to loot you before moving on. Also have to reconcile the Karma tug-of-war between poisoning and using Chiv to heal etc..heh...probably Lich hunting fun days...

Anyway - thanks again for chipping in. Do people have a strong prefernce for a particular melee type or archery? That's another big question...

Cheers all.