• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player--Wanna make a THunter

Merto

Visitor
Hello All

Can you please tell me which race to choose
What should str dex mana be
And skills to make a good thunter

Thank You

Jepeth

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hello All

Can you please tell me which race to choose
What should str dex mana be
And skills to make a good thunter

Thank You
This is a tough question because the modern game is a very complicated interaction between skills, items, and game play style.

I can tell you that the basic treasure hunter will have GM Cartography to decode maps and find the boxes (mining is no longer required.) They will have GM Lockpicking because the last two levels of maps (it goes stash, supply, cache, hoard, trove now) can only be opened with lockpicking and not the magic spell. They likely will also have GM or slightly less remove trap because the new system requires you to use this skill to disarm and open boxes instead of simply casting telekinisis like we did in the past.

After that how you choose to play a treasure hunter is up to you. A taming/treasure hunter build is very popular (120 taming/120 animal lore, GM or so magery, plus the other skills) and can pretty much solo all levels of chests. Myself I play a spellcasting treasure hunter with 120 magery, 100 eval, 100 med, 100 cartography, 100 lockpick, 100 remove trap, and 100 mysticism. As a human male I sometimes use the jack of all trades perk if I need another skill (like hiding in Felucca) to work quickly and also depend on the extra STR to carry more things back. With the right slayer spellbook I can pretty much handle everything, even the mean ancient wyrms and greater frost dragons.

As for what your race and your stats should be, that entirely depends (again) on what items you have and your playstyle. If, for example, you want to play a female elf then you can use unicorns as a great all-around ridable pet. Female elves also have the greatest selection in what magical items they can equip. If you play a gargoyle then you can use a 5 slot pet that isn't mountable because you can fly, but are now more limited in the magical items available to you.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Human and elf can change through quests so there’s not a huge consequence there.

garg is set unless you pay money for a race change token.

I think human is nice because you can hold more item weight, but elf gets a bit more mana and some energy resist.

if you don’t want to be garg, just pick whatever you like for now because it isn’t hard to switch from elf to human or vice verse

Tamer t hunter is my preferred build. A lesser Hiryu is great for maps. Giant beetles are awesome because they can hold 1600 stones and kill ancient wyrms.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Race really doesn't matter much as was said above. Gargs can fly so if going as a tamer/thunter they could fly (riding speed) while having a 5 slot pet out. However it really doesnt matter that much.

I prefer a taming t-hunter but mystic/spellweaver is also popular. Some have talked about bard/mage using summons but I find they are dispelled fairly easy and it takes longer to kill with them.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My position:

For the extra Carrying Capacity, and using taming to kill the spawn: Go Human (after all, you'll be using a fully trained giant beetle for combat and loot, for the most part).
If you're going to be killing things with spellcasting only (direct damage and summons): Go Elf for the additional mana.