• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Imbuing] Returning player trying to understand imbue to build sampire suit

E

elspeth

Hi all,

I have been away for several years and recently came back. I never played my warrior much before (PreSA) and thought I'd try change her to a sampire and see if I like her better. So I started looking over her armor and weapons and trying to pull together a suit. Kept my house up so I have a whole bunch of old loot (used to kill swoops with full luck suit and the like) so I looked through all that stuff and found a weapon that looks pretty darn good for sampire but as I try to understand this whole imbuing system I'm starting to think that most of the loot I have is worthless because crafting and imbuing can create better. Here's the weapon I found:

I figured out how to calculate item weight (unfortunately before I found Zolaf's awesome calculator) and it has a total of 352 and its max must be 450 since it was loot. So, is it true that if I started out with a fresh exceptionally crafted weapon I could get all this stuff and better since it would have a cap of 500? So, loot is only good if it exceeds the 500 cap?

Of course, I do realize that I could add a little bit more to this, perhaps some HCI and it would be ALMOST as good as a crafted then imbued item and would cost a LOT less to make because I wouldn't need all those fancy ingredients? In this manner, any loot that has properties close to or exceeding 90% of max in useful combos might still be worth some money? According to Zolof's calculator, if I crafted this weapon and put on the same properties (except for not mage weapon as that is useless to me) and using the default prices it would cost me about a quarter of a million. If I had the money it would definitely be better to craft it so that I could not have the mage weapon property and put on better stats like hci and ssi or perhaps some resists? So again, using Zolof's calc, I could make this weapon with 50 HML, HSL, DI 10 HCI and 15 poison resist but it would astronomically increase the price to about 2 million. Am I thinking on the right track here? Any suggestions?

If this is right then it sounds like imbuing must really be breathing some life back into the uo crafting community which had died out with repair deeds. Sounds amazing.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Welcome back!

While the mods on that weapon kind of fit a sampire, the weapon itself does not.

In general, a sampire uses weapons to maximize damage out put and defensive abilities. That being said, what is almost (if not more) important to a sampire is the special abilities on the weapons. Armor Ignore, Double Strike, Feint, Whirlwind are the ones that I have seen used most.

The most popular weapons that all into that are:
Leafblades, Longswords, Broadswords, Daisho, War Axe, Kama, Blackstaff, Radiant Scimitar, Double Axe. I am sure I forgot one or two.

Also Ornate Axes and Diamond Maces, while they lack the special moves, they have awesome damage output.

If you are on Atlantic, hit me up and I'll help you out or just message here and I'll do what I can. :)

E

elspeth

Thanks Nu'Sair I'll start looking for a better weapon.

But I still am very curious about this whole imbuing vs. loot deal. Anybody got an opinion on this? I was reading further and found that jewelry is 500 no matter what so my hci 15/dci 14 would probably be a great one to start with. So jewelry with just 1 or two max and well matched properties should still be good.

I'm also checking to see if I should do a house cleaning and smelt and/or throw away 1/2 to 3/4s of my old saved loot.

O

Old Man of UO

But I still am very curious about this whole imbuing vs. loot deal. Anybody got an opinion on this? I was reading further and found that jewelry is 500 no matter what so my hci 15/dci 14 would probably be a great one to start with. So jewelry with just 1 or two max and well matched properties should still be good...
I keep jewelry with certain max properties, only if any other properties compliment the main property. This can save a lot of relics and essences, and you never know when you are going to want to change your suit, needing a new ring or bracelet.

Everyone has a preference, but I look for max properties in:
LRC
FC/FCR if 1/3
LMC (handy for almost any character)
Enhance Potions
Damage Increase

Anything else doesn't cost too much to imbue and just takes up storage space.

Weapons - I still look for a few 100% elemental damage weapons to imbue, even though they have 450 max imbuing weight.