• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

returning player , taming question

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
returning from a some what long absence. i have often played as a tamer template.... my entire world just got turned upside down, and am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a thread that will explain something to me.... since when did you only need like one or two control slots assigned to a powerful pet??? i had 3 lesser hiryus tamed at the same time, NOT in a stable.... and i think i could have tamed 2 more... when did this happen? and im' going to to assume that this is not limited to just hiryus. i know there has been a "new" way of training pets that i have not looked into. .... can someone point me to a thread that will explain all this.... please? :(

AntyvasII

Seasoned Veteran
UNLEASHED
I know fire & giant beetles were changed to 1-slot 5-10 years ago. Any others probably happened at the same time. Can't look up the announcements at the moment.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
returning from a some what long absence. i have often played as a tamer template.... my entire world just got turned upside down, and am hoping that someone can point me in the direction of a thread that will explain something to me.... since when did you only need like one or two control slots assigned to a powerful pet??? i had 3 lesser hiryus tamed at the same time, NOT in a stable.... and i think i could have tamed 2 more... when did this happen? and im' going to to assume that this is not limited to just hiryus. i know there has been a "new" way of training pets that i have not looked into. .... can someone point me to a thread that will explain all this.... please? :(
The taming revamp changed the slots of a few pets. But having 5 lesser hyrus is not what you would want. They would die too fast.

We can now train pets and add abilities and stats to them. So you would start with that 1 slot lesser and train it up to 5 slots which would make it a powerful beast.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some pet types had their slot levels lowered, and other pet types now have variable slot levels, depending upon their stat intensity. These slot changes weren't retroactive. Some of the Pre-Pub 97 pets are actually stronger than their currently spawning counterparts, like "pre-patch" Nightmares, WWs, Bake Kitsunes, Rune Beetles, and Vollems.
Lesser Hiryus, Giant Beetles, and Fire Beetles went from 3 slots, to 1 slot. Cu Sidhes went from 4 slots, to 3. Reptalons went from 4 slots, to 2-3. The newer spawns of these, can be more powerful than the pre-patch versions.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow.... wow.... well, i'm probably gonna' sound like an old grump, but i don't like any of it. ............ as i remember, before pub 97 , i seem to remember liking the system just the way it was. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... grrrrr. i'm sure i'm alone in this belief, but i would like to think that there has to be at least one other person (maybe more) that is butt-hurt about it. ................ i do appriciate all the feedback from ya'll though. ........ i have more questions, hopefully everyone will keep helping to catch me up to speed. ....... so, what if you have a pet that gets "trained up" to 4 control slots, and then you get another of the SAME creature but it is at a single control slot, and in this example, they both qualify for pact instint. would both of these pets still benifit from the pact bonus?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
wow.... wow.... well, i'm probably gonna' sound like an old grump, but i don't like any of it. ............ as i remember, before pub 97 , i seem to remember liking the system just the way it was. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.... grrrrr. i'm sure i'm alone in this belief, but i would like to think that there has to be at least one other person (maybe more) that is butt-hurt about it. ................ i do appriciate all the feedback from ya'll though. ........ i have more questions, hopefully everyone will keep helping to catch me up to speed. ....... so, what if you have .a pet that gets "trained up" to 4 control slots, and then you get another of the SAME creature but it is at a single control slot, and in this example, they both qualify for pact instint. would both of these pets still benifit from the pact bonus?
Pack bonus is only good in 1 cirumstance. And only for 1 or 2 slot pets. They lose after 2 slots.

Pets start at set slots. We can train most to 5 slots after.

You will not find a 5 slot Cu in the wild. All begin as 3 slots.

It's best to use 1 5 slot pet unless you find a special circumstance.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i would say my home shard is catskills, though i usually spend just as much time on seige. recently aquired 5 lesser hiryus, and untraned was able to just lay complete waste to most any target that was not a champ spawn or ect... sadly in my opinon it makes the game insanely easier than it used to be.... i would like to find more in-depth advise than the links that you guys have provided... but i do appriciate the feedback.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i would say my home shard is catskills, though i usually spend just as much time on seige. recently aquired 5 lesser hiryus, and untraned was able to just lay complete waste to most any target that was not a champ spawn or ect... sadly in my opinon it makes the game insanely easier than it used to be.... i would like to find more in-depth advise than the links that you guys have provided... but i do appriciate the feedback.
You would find a single 5 slot pet would do the same thing. But you could do a spawn with a trained pet.

The taming revamp has opened many doors to new content for tamers or mages that replace EVs with pets. I do not see that as a problem.