• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player, Sampire/Mastery Questions

Mahler

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So, like I'm sure is the case with many others, I've rejoined UO (Catskills). I've seen the mastery system has been expanded, and was curious it's utility, particularly in relation to Tamers and Sampires. It appears most are running the swords skill, are those mastery skills particularly useful? What about the Taming ones?

Also, what's the current trend with Sampires? Is there a particular set of stats/buffs I should look for in a weapon/suit?

Thanks for any answers you may provide.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The Onslaught ability is incredibly useful against enemies with low to medium resists, it'll drop the resist corresponding to your weapon damage type by 20% at 120 swords + tactics for 6ish seconds, if I remember correctly. You can do upwards of 400 damage a swing with double strike pretty easily

Mahler

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
The Onslaught ability is incredibly useful against enemies with low to medium resists, it'll drop the resist corresponding to your weapon damage type by 20% at 120 swords + tactics for 6ish seconds, if I remember correctly. You can do upwards of 400 damage a swing with double strike pretty easily
Nice, thanks for the response and info!

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Check out the warrior forums for info on the lastest sampire builds. I think a good starting point is Ford Taunus's "Modern Sampire" thread.

Modern Sampire

-OBSIDIAN-

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Tamer mastery is a must for Tamers.

1. If you have 90 real skill, you can use the mastery abilities to gain much faster to 120.
  2. Having it active increases your stable slots by two.
  3. Whispering increases gains for 10 minutes, with a cool-down that ranges from about an hour down to 20 minutes after expiration, based on mastery level.
  4. The level III Mastery ability "Consume Damage" is great for keeping a pet alive at a distance. It's possible to get mana regeneration and LMC to where it can be maintained indefinitely. The Level II Mastery "Berserk" adds damage. The level I pair are really only good for training.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When Masteries were first expanded to skills other than Barding, i tested the hell out of it and posted the results. Some things have changed since then though. I really ought to compile a a new thread on it, with up to date info.
Skill Mastery Testing
Skill Mastery Testing Part 2
Just call me the "Master of Masteries", lol.

Taming Mastery is definitely powerful with real 120 Taming/120 Lore.
Lvl 1 gives "Empowerment", which converts Physical Damage taken into a DI/SDI buff for your pet, which makes them tankier and deal more damage.
Lvl 2 gives "Berserk", which allows your pet to store incoming damage for 6 seconds to raise it's Berserk level, the higher it's Berserk level the less damage it'll take and the more damage it'll dish out, but it'll also be resistant to healing (same effect as the Bestial Set gives). Once those 6 seconds are up, it has a 60 second cooldown before it can be used again. All in all, Berserk sucks, far too little uptime.
Lvl 3 gives "Consume Damage", which converts Physical Damage taken into a HCI/HPR buff for your pet (the HPR buff caps out at +30 now), and absorbs more Physical Damage than Empowerment does. This ability makes your pet extremely tanky against Physical Damage, while landing hits more often.
Damage other than Physical, such as Fire/Cold/Poison/Energy, will bypass the damage absorb effects of Empowerment and Consume Damage.

All levels give "Whispering" and "As One".
"Whispering" will give your pet a chance to gain between 0.2-0.5 in a skill whenever it gains skill (up to 95% chance at 120 Taming/120 Lore) for 10 mins, and the cooldown is based on your Primer Lvl, with a 30 minute cooldown at Lvl 3, so 1/3 uptime.
"As One" can only be used when you have multiple pets out, and it evenly splits any damage taken between all of the pets. It's basically meant for hunting with a pack of creatures. There's two problems with this though. You can only heal 1-2 pets at a time (bandy one while casting G-Heal on another), and the ability hogs down Mana like there's no tomorrow. Definitely not sustainable.

Last edited: