• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning Player (maybe) - Needs help!

G

I played for a while when it first came out, but when I joined the military I had to stop and never picked it up again. I want to check it out again but have a few questions that maybe someone could answer.

1. I know there have been a bunch of expansions, if I want to play with all the content and access to all types of characters is that going to cost me a fortune?

2. How large is the player base these days, or are there certain shards with better populations than others?

3. I can get the trial with UOGold or KR it seems, which should I download?

Thanks!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I played for a while when it first came out, but when I joined the military I had to stop and never picked it up again. I want to check it out again but have a few questions that maybe someone could answer.

1. I know there have been a bunch of expansions, if I want to play with all the content and access to all types of characters is that going to cost me a fortune?

2. How large is the player base these days, or are there certain shards with better populations than others?

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets see if I can offer some answers here.

1. If you're starting a new account, you can try to find a copy of UO:9th Anniversary Edition. This contains all new content, including the crystal and shadow housing tiles that came with this Edition. If you are only concerned with skills and hunting, however, you can buy an ML code for upgrade or a new account at the UOGamecode store. This will give you access to all skills and all hunting locations. You can get to this through the UO.com and they'll cost you $30.00. I believe they email the codes to you, however, so you can get up and running without having to wait for a shipment or go out shopping.

2. The shard populations definitely vary. I believe Atlantic is the most populated of the shards.

3. As for the UOKR vs UO2D, that's just a personal choice. I've played the 2d client for 10+ years, so I'm very comfortable with it and prefer it to KR. My computers are on the older side, however, without the fancy video cards and what not. If you have a newer system with all the bells and whistles, the KR client might look much better. For my system though, I prefer the 2d art. You could always download both and try em both out. The clients are free, the trial is just for your account and you can log onto any of your accounts with each client.

G

Sablestorm has it nailed. I would offer that if you choose to go KR, be prepared for very large download and patch times ... even with broadband.

If I recall the KR client was/is about a 3.2GB download and some of the patches since have topped 500MB easily.

There are too many KR glitches in things I wish to do to make it usable for me and like Sablestorm, I'm very comfy with 2D.

And I can tell you ... UO has evolved quite a lot since when I started in late 1998. You've much to learn!
Welcome back!

P

Prudentis

I am a returning player myself (last played in late 2000) so I will answer your question from this perspective.
I downloaded the 14-day trial of KR and after patching (takes a few hours on a 16k DSL line) logged in to see, if I liked the new looks. I would not have played with the old 2D client, because I think it is grossly outdated.
This way I had the chance too get the "feeling" again and after only two days I was set on returning. After that I cancelled the test account and reactivated my old one, so you too, don't have to start anew. Just contact support if you don't remember your old data.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely not. My 9th anniversary code cost 12 Euros.
As explained above, to enjoy all of the new content, you will need either the 9th anniversary edition or Mondain's Legacy. The code is enough, you don't have to buy a boxed version.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
No idea, really. It is much more deserted than it used to but I still meet players online in the typical places.
On the bright side, spawn points aren't as crowded and you can find a nice house placing spot nowadays.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
I would really suggest trying out the KR client. It still has a few issues, but I like it very much and I think it is the step in the right direction.
I would like to see even better clients for UO in the future. Only this way, can we expect new players to come to Sosaria.
UO is such a beautifully rich online world and has in my eyes the best MMOG engine. But the outdated looks keep new players from enjoying it. I don't want to see WoW numbers in UO I just wish this game does not die.
<blockquote><hr>

Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome!

G

Thanks everyone, I'll download the clients and see how it goes. Unfortunately I can't remember my account name, or the character names I used, or the email, or what credit card I used (I was young and borrowed my parents). I'll see if I can piece enough info to give to support so they can retrieve it but I doubt it. I hardly had a great char but would be fun to see what I had 10 years ago.

Are there any shards that people would recommend or advise against?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Take a shard where you have a good connection with.

All shards got there good and bad sides. But you find good communities everywhere.

If you purely want to play PvP and don't mind just one character and slower skill gaines and all kinda different rules then Siege is your shard.

G

I have a few questions about the 14 day trial. After the trial period is up and if I don't cancel my account, what is charged to me? I am not finding the 9th anniversary box anywhere near me, so that is not an option. I would prefer the boxed copy though. If I don't own the game, what is the cost to get all expansions?

Thanks all.

G

$12.99/month USD
$??.?? USD for 3 month period
$59.99 USD for 6 month period

TAXABLE

United States ...
Arizona - 8.10%
Connecticut - 1.00%
District of Columbia - 5.75%
Hawaii - 4.00%
Indiana - 6.00%
Illinois - 6.25%
Kansas - 7.00%
Kentucky - 6.00%
Louisiana - 8.75%
Massachusetts - 5.00%
Michigan - 6.00%
Minnesota - 6.50%
Nebraska - 6.50%
New York - 8.25%
New Jersey - 7.00%
Pennsylvania - 7.00%
South Carolina - 8.00%
Tennessee - 7.00%
Texas - 8.25%
Utah - 6.60%
Washington - 8.10%
Wisconsin - 5.50%

Canada ....
Alberta - 6%
British Columbia - 6%
Manitoba - 6%
New Brunswick - 14%
Newfoundland and Labrador - 14%
Northwest Territories - 6%
Nova Scotia - 14%
Nunavut - 6%
Ontario - 14%
Price Edward Island - 6%
Quebec- 6%
Saskatchewan- 6%
Yukon- 6%

G

I am sorry, I should have been more clear. If I do no purchase the game, what is charged to me after the 14 days are up. I know what the monthly charge is. Do they automatically charge me for the game or can I keep playing with a monthly fee and not purchase the game?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions on where I might find the 9th anniversary box at, not online?

Thanks

G

I believe one of 2 things will happen ...

1. they will assess a charge based upon any options selected upon account creation
2. Suspend the account until payment is received

P

Prudentis

If you don't cancel the 14 day trial _I am pretty sure_ you will be just charged the monthly costs. I am not 100% sure however. I bought the 9th anni version because of some added options coming with it but I don't really know what they are
(other then owning ML and thus being able to play an elf and some added housing options)
The cost of ML in the online shop ist 29,99 USD, so it'S quite expensive.
Online Shop

You really should try to buy 9th or ML somewhere cheaper, if you can.
If you live in the UK you could try this:
Amazon.co.uk