• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Mining] Returning Miner with a few Questions (that i didnt see answered in the FAQ)

• Thread starter JRedbeard
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

JRedbeard

Howdy,

Just came back to the game and have been swingin steel and breaking rocks like the old days. Had a few questions:

1) Does mining for gems/granite reduce the amount of ore you receive or is that just a bonus resource you get?

2) I am training my miner up with some warrior skills and am interested in trying the prospectors / gargoyles pickaxes... where do you guys usually get a supply of these? I go through a LOT of shovels.

More Market-y Questions
3) So for those of you (if there are any left) who mine to sell their resources... which do you mine? Granite or gems? I tend to mine about 5 shovels per trip and i have been switching back and forth between granite / gems because I am not sure which one is more valuable (and its fun to grab both =)). I realize this is one of those "it depends on your server" questions, (im on pacific) but im just curious for you specifically.

4) Again, this is a server based question but... what do these special resources run for ? With as many gems pop out as they do i cant imagine they're worth a super large amount of money. Same with granite.. i have a stack of 1000 iron granite, cant be that valuable..

I appreciate your time.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah one of the odd things about this game is that smithing rewards are for mining items. I get my gargoyles pickaxes and sturdy shovels and prospectors tools from doing BODs. I guess most smiths are also miners.
I am not sure of the correct answers for all your other questions.

J

JRedbeard

Yeah for some reason Ive never b een much into crafting... I just like gathering the stuff.

Thanks anyways.

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can get gargoyles pickaxes off gargoyles but you have to kill a lot of them as most don't have them. Tinkers can make shovels and pickaxes and they can be found as loot on various random monsters like shovels on orc and maybe headless or pickaxes with various weapon modifications on other things. Probably you can find a smith who will sell you them since they are a common reward. I'll attempt to answer some of your other questions..... I am on Pacific as well and maybe can sell you a bunch of stuff once in a while but likely can't keep up with what you need however if you want tinkered stuff then I can.
1) It doesn't seem to decrease the amount of ore but it's hard to say for sure.

3)I don't sell mining stuff but to me the most valuable are the ML gems and then ingots.

5% Luck

Stone mining does not decrease the amount of ore "per dig" but it does slightly lower your overall pack capacity and sells much cheaper then ingots.

Gem mining does decrease the amount of ore "per dig" as when you mine a gem you get no ore. Mining gems is very nice to suport an imbuing character but not so much for anything else save high end tinkering (magic rings ect) and selling to the NPC for gold.

That said Having a supply of stone "on hand" is a basic necessity of any resource gatherer but, its best to hold on to "an amount" until it is requested by a friend or customer.

Now prospectors tools are a different thing all together. You will benifit from them. I cant really stress that enough. Those tools are your lifeblood as a miner. You wont be able to obtain them in any significant amount without a) Smithy bods or b)trading with another player. I sugest a) since once you have managed a supply they will last far longer then their needed to fill more bods to get more tools.

As for trading i know on my shard (atlantic)there is a nice vendor that does a great job supplying them in the red and purple mini mall. If your on that shard check it out and maybe strike up a convo when ya see them.

The next thing is the "rare gems". These are not the type that you can set your shovel too. These are a bonus for the GM(+) miner. Youll know them in they are much larger and have different names. These are around 1k a pop on my shard.