• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning from long Hiatus (rambling!)

M

MalDK

So it's been a while since I've been on UO. Tradespot is no longer used I guess? Bags of sending are apparently useless? Lots of other stuff I've missed out on over the years. However, this game popped my MMO cherry, and I just can't give it up :(

Anyway, I think this was the 5th or 6th time I returned to UO after completely uninstalling. I've been playing WoW the past couple years, but since the new expansion it's gotten pretty boring and too casual for my liking. Ironic that in my off-time of WoW, I'd rather play UO casually I think.

So, some history for anyone who cares. I started playing in 98. Was in several guilds back during that era (-S-, AoD, J-D, CW, etc) but wasn't really a "big name" because I sucked at dueling (yeah, I'll admit it). Never have enjoyed the whole 1v1 scene except when I played my thief. I'm sure there are a few people that remember the era of disarm thieves. I played mine at brit moongate, stealing people's force/power/vanq weaps when they walked up to the moongate, and then hopped to trammel safety! I know I know! Cheesy, Gimp, Newb, blah blah whatever you wanna call it. I had fun. Even better was when I went back perma, got them to attack me, and killed them because I had mage med and eval!

Ahh the memories...so going into the early days of AoS, I was in CiB (frey's guild) and after that D*K with Sebastian. I know these weren't considered "the best" guilds of the time, but we had fun playing the game with each other whether it was champ spawns, group pvp, peerless spawns, or just getting on tamers and obliterating balrons.

The sad thing, however, was that some people's loyalty was to themselves and not to each other. So they were more concerned with "winning" and their own "popularity" in a video game on the internet. Sadly, UO died the same Shadowbane did because of this type of mentality. What's worse is that I understand now why some people are this way. Take that as you will.

Anyway, with guilds leaving the shard and many people quitting the game, I felt that UO was finished for me (again). This was the most recent (5th?) time I quit (OSI) UO. I played around on various free shards, but it just didn't have the same feel. This is why I've decided to return, and hopefully find some mature people to hang out and waste time with. (Possible! Not probable though :()

As I mentioned earlier, I've been playing (on and off) for about 10 years. I don't mind PvP, but PvPers today are regrettably less mature than pvpers 8 years ago. Interesting to say the least. After 10 years, you think people would become more mature, not less. rolleyes: While I am quite terrible at dueling, I always was annoying to kill (I thought so at least!) and was better in group situations (such as PK raids or town fights).

Also, I read over the publishes to the game from the past 2ish years and noticed a lot has changed. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me the cliff notes please? I'd appreciate it!

One last thing! If any of you D*K people read this (Val, Orion, Quietus, etc) you better reply or get in touch with me somehow damnit!

Thanks for reading!
-Mal

p.s. normally I'm a grammar nazi, but it's 440am and I'm too tired to reread that or format it to make it less annoying

T

Tancred RedStar

Welcome back!

I'm hardly a pvp expert, or expert on anything for that matter, lol. However, I'm willing to answer what questions I can. I recently came back after a hiatus and found many friends gone, but also quite a few still around. Youre more than welcome to come by the Red Wolf Cafe whenever we have events. It may help you to get to know some people again, ask questions, gets some advice and updates, etc.

Also, be sure to check out UOGuide.com as it's updated pretty frequently being a dedicated UO wiki.

If youre looking to make some gold, the scrolls of transcendence and new artifact replica items that can be obtained as drops from champ spawns(Ilsh, Fel and Tokuno) can make you some good coin.

Rikimaru_Vegeta

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The sad thing, however, was that some people's loyalty was to themselves and not to each other. So they were more concerned with "winning" and their own "popularity" in a video game on the internet. Sadly, UO died the same Shadowbane did because of this type of mentality. What's worse is that I understand now why some people are this way. Take that as you will.

As I mentioned earlier, I've been playing (on and off) for about 10 years. I don't mind PvP, but PvPers today are regrettably less mature than pvpers 8 years ago. Interesting to say the least. After 10 years, you think people would become more mature, not less. rolleyes: While I am quite terrible at dueling, I always was annoying to kill (I thought so at least!) and was better in group situations (such as PK raids or town fights).

Also, I read over the publishes to the game from the past 2ish years and noticed a lot has changed. I'm wondering if anyone would be able to give me the cliff notes please? I'd appreciate it!
Seems were in the same boat! :) UO Vets returning.. I am curious as to how these young guns play.. PvP was my thing.. as well as owning at Champ spawns.. I wonder if it is still possible to solo champ spawns? This was done quite alot (if not solo then with another person) when I was with Champs...