• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Returning and need some advice/ideas

R

Rocklin

I have decided to come back to Ultima Online after a break and I really could use some input.

In the past I have fragmented my playtime. I created a Tamer, a Treasure Hunter, an Archer and a Warrior. I also made a crafter. While I am aware that many people have multiple characters and enjoy their game that way, I feel it was too difficult to work on so many things.

I have chosen to make a Legendary Blacksmith and/or armorer. I have about 115 or so Blacksmithy with a power scroll already read to get to 120.

I have so many base questions, I am not sure where to begin.

What I need to know is how YOU would proceed to gather ingots and resources, and set up a Smith character in general. It's a broad question, but if I concentrate on one character, I want it to be a premiere character on my server.

If your Smith was all you had, how would you build it?

Any help, ideas or suggestions would be amazing. Thanks for your time.

F

Fingers of Cats

I always create my BS by mining to GM first. Then I have a LOAD of ingots to burn through with the only cost being the cost of shovels/picks, even those I can tinker at a pretty low level. Tailoring is a bit more of a challenge but I just hunt with my tamer and collect leather as I get my taming gains off Great Harts. I try to buy as little as possible!

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Note: if you can acquire +3 or +5 mining gloves, train up mining to GM (with gloves taking it to 103 or 105), buy a salvage bag, and get a 120 SMith PS from somewhere, you can train Smith into the 58s or so - WITHOUT LOSING A SINGLE INGOT. Just make daggers for that time.

Padre Dante

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I also find GMing mining first, to be better.

Beyond that, Arms Lore is the new MUST have skill with any weapon/ armor skill. It adds a bonus to both resists (armor) and damage increase (weapons). If you plan on using blacksmithing, tailoring, bowcraft/fletching, and/or carpentry, arms lore is required. Also, it has to be one of the absolute easiest skills to GM, so no worries there.

H

Halpo

Note: if you can acquire +3 or +5 mining gloves, train up mining to GM (with gloves taking it to 103 or 105), buy a salvage bag, and get a 120 SMith PS from somewhere, you can train Smith into the 58s or so - WITHOUT LOSING A SINGLE INGOT. Just make daggers for that time.
I too have come out of semi retirement, to play here and there.

While I never closed my account my playtime in UO has been nonexistent, my question will be very newbish. Where do you buy salvage bags?

I am not a big trade skill player but have decided to finally work my tinker/miner/smith. Right now I am at 100 Swordsmanship, Tactics, and Tinkering, 99 mining, 62 blacksmithing, 61 Carpentry, 50 tailoring, 55 magery.

My plan is to remove the swordsmanship and tactics via a soul stone any suggestions as to where to go after that?