• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning after 20 years

SBP1983

Visitor
My son wanted to play the game I talked about so much. He is old enough now. We are going to start him a few Characters and I have a few questions. What shard would be good for him? Is there Advanced Character tokens still available to purchase? If so where? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Most shards have a good community. There are some who will say some shards are *Dead* but they are just less populated. First answer anyone will give you is ATLANTIC!!

While Atlantic has a large population, it can be overwhelming.

It also depends on where you live, pick a shard that you don't lag on!

Atlantic is the UO Mall, there are hundreds of Vendors and prices vary but can still be a bit expensive for certain things.

Yes you can still purchase mythic tokens in the store for 2,500 Sovereign. You can access the store in game.

1685196405832.png

SBP1983

Visitor
Most shards have a good community. There are some who will say some shards are *Dead* but they are just less populated. First answer anyone will give you is ATLANTIC!!

While Atlantic has a large population, it can be overwhelming.

It also depends on where you live, pick a shard that you don't lag on!

Atlantic is the UO Mall, there are hundreds of Vendors and prices vary but can still be a bit expensive for certain things.

Yes you can still purchase mythic tokens in the store for 2,500 Sovereign. You can access the store in game.

View attachment 143938
Thank you

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Find a more mature shard for him to start out on. I played Cats on the east coast for a little while and there were a lot of helpful players. West coast Baja has a lot of helpful players as does Origin and all the others. Make a Char on all shards that you ping best to and check them out first. If he has a good experience starting out he will likely stay for the long run.

Depending on his age I would stay clear of Atl. esp Gen Chat and the overcrowding.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
My son wanted to play the game I talked about so much. He is old enough now. We are going to start him a few Characters and I have a few questions. What shard would be good for him? Is there Advanced Character tokens still available to purchase? If so where? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
The best shard a new player should start on is Atlantic. Its the most active shard and has the most guilds and groups to join up with. Especially for someone just getting back into the game and learning the ropes again. Most any smaller shards are for people who already have established friendships in the community or have a pre-set guild or group to join with. You'll get alot of opinions on this topic, but people vote with their feet and Atlantic is most popular for a reason. Feel free to reach out if you and your son would like to get connected to some friendly guilds. Best of luck!

Last edited:

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Well welcome back thru your son's eyes. Atlantic will be a eye opening for you and him. I have to say the guild UWF is by far one of the best there. I am in that guild but I do not call Atlantic home. My home shard is Sonoma, small guild that been around for 20+yrs called PAS. Feel free to say hello at both guilds forum pages. You will be asked to confirm your email, check your spam file. As they said above Atlantic is the Wally world of shopping, it is also the most trash talking in General chat so be sure to trust your ability to mute them in the game. Housing there is a all time high with outrageous prices for completed home, plots etc.. I would suggest moving to a "dead" shard and just look around, try the free to play at first, limit to what it can do, but still will give you an idea of what to look for. If on Sonoma look me up I will assist with armor, spell book, weapons etc..

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I started on Napa Valley but when I returned I moved to Atlantic. I would only suggest this if you are a veteran. It might be better to start out on another shard and then go to Atlantic, just to learn the ropes. There are still vibrant communities on other shards, just pop in the general chat and ask around.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
At least you can buy that stuff on Atlantic. Most of shards have really poor choice on vendors.
Also on Atl your stuff on vendor will be sold very fast comparing to less populated ones. And at "a bit expensive price for certain things"

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
My vendors have had stuff on them for months without selling...I price my stuff lower then the lowest price on VS so that's not necessarily true.

Not trying to make this a bash against ATL but it would not be my first choice...it wasn't when I started playing the game...I started on Napa. Also depends on what you like to do....RP? Not on ATL, Artisan Festival? Not on ATL

Just have to play around and figure out what's best for you!

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I personally wouldn't play on any of the EA shards. There are much better versions of UO out there that are free to play, with good sized populations of decent players. Really you can find anything you are looking for be it a classic ruleset, PvM only, strict RP, or just something very similar to OSI but with decent developers and quality of life improvements. Unfortunately, and for good reason, I can't go into detail here. DM me if you'd like to know more. Or go check out UOEmu shard advertisements right here on Stratics:

SBP1983

Visitor
After two nights of just running around learning the controls and map of the game. His first comment was that is nothing like new games. He is liking the pace of the game so far. He seems to enjoying it. I will see in a week of summer holiday if he sticks with it. One friend of his is very interested and will be joining him on their learning curve.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yep Napa is where I started.

Still have the guild I was in too

1685308420371.png

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Have to totally agree with @Stinky Pete here 100. It's all good you want to bring the kid back to the good ole UO days, problem is they are gone for the most part as a new acc. Please think twice before taking him to this old dusty relic. I personally send anyone who's coming back to the free shards. They have 100x more content then the ole dust off that event we did 2 yrs ago EA...

SBP1983

Visitor
Thank you all. An update. he started his Char in Atlantic. He picked to be a mage/tamer mainly due to that was my favorite char. He has been taming some things, the advanced char token seems to be a bit cheating in my opinion but it is working for him. He cleared the Britain Graveyard casting spells and found it to be a very good learning experience. Paid for three months so that will give him some time to have fun.

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Thank you all. An update. he started his Char in Atlantic. He picked to be a mage/tamer mainly due to that was my favorite char. He has been taming some things, the advanced char token seems to be a bit cheating in my opinion but it is working for him. He cleared the Britain Graveyard casting spells and found it to be a very good learning experience. Paid for three months so that will give him some time to have fun.
If you (not your son) are playing on Atlantic and are looking for a guild, please let me know.

mihali

Sage
Congrats and welcome back. ATL is a very good choice, lots of nice folks also, and lots of people around. At least this is my experience. Very active tamer communities, and also if interested, PvP is alive and well there. Something for everyone.:)

Danneskjold

Journeyman
Governor
There is still time to jump over to the best shard..Chesapeake. If you come over, shout out in general chat for anyone in the PaxLair alliance and you should get a warm welcome and help getting back into the game.