• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returned player seeking training advice for low end pets

Aclementa

Visitor
Hello

I recently returned to UO, havnt played since... 20 years ago or so... which made alot of changes :)

I started a tamer after getting the hang of things again on a explorer char, i have no rush towards getting gm/120 taming and therefore seek advice for pets to use for farming a bit gold on my journey...

I got an advice ingame to get a couple of boura's for fighting earth elementals and other low end stuff.

I wondered if there are other low taming pets i can use with the same fighting capabilities as bouras or better?

I thought about adding a giant beetle to my collection and train it to 5 slots as its ridable, but im not sure how it would be... as the whole intensity and stats system is a bit confusing even tho ive seen a guide... hard to say for a newcomer which pets could be trained for my... slow journeying :)

im sitting on around 60 taming

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You need to get to 90 taming. Once there you can use jewels if you use a disposable pet. A Cu, Lesser Hiryu, or that Beetle with 105 or higher scrolls will kill anything you come across while exploring.

The only low taming pet I can think of would be a Vollum. You would take it to TC and see what you can add to keep it below your skills.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Pinks are Scrolls of Transcendence.

They are loot in Treasure Map chests, drops at champion spawns (on all facets, but Fel's are higher than the others in both cases), and as rewards for doing trade orders and a few other quests & puzzles (mostly in the Underworld).

Most facets, they range from 0.1 to 0.5 skill, while in Fel they are 0.6 to 1.0. The Trade orders can range from 0.1 to 1.0 in Trammel.

Essentially, they are free gains for the skill they state.

Smaller ones can also be combined to 2.0 or 5.0 using scroll binders, so finding a scroll-binder for a skill is only useful if you can complete it to turn it into a "pink".

There are also blue "Scrolls of Alacrity". These last 15 minutes each, and allow skill gain sizes at any level comparable to what you get at low-level (0.2 to 0.5 per gain, but doesn't make gain chances any easier). You can't use pinks or other blues while a blue is in effect, nor can you train a skill at an NPC. In effect, the function is similar to the New Haven quests for training skills to 50, but for only 15 minutes and only one skill at a time.

You'll also want to acquire Taming and Animal Lore power scrolls (the white scrolls), if you haven't yet, as they raise your skill caps for individual skills, and you need 108 Taming and lore for controlling most fully-trained pets.

Aclementa

Visitor
ohhh i see, that uhm sounds like expensive stuff :) @Jelinidas better keep em regardless of being on europa or not :) im not in a hurry

Im a bit sad to hear its... a whole lot of nothing to do petwise until im like 108 in taming :O

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is some activity on Europa - just not that obvious perhaps.

First of all, there's a daily "meet and greet" at the WBB - from 19:00-20:00 CET . Or you can try 'yell' for help in the HELP channel and you might find more there. And you can always try train up some blue beetles in between - but of course you need get up to 108 taming (at least) to be able to control fully trained 5-slot "pets" - there's no way around that.

Jelinidas

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im sorry, I do not play Europa. Ask around, many folks love to help. Once ya get to 90, its a breeze. Good luck to you and Welcome Back!!

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Hellooooo fellow European! We do have a 120 Taming and 110 Lore for you if you like? (Apparently we rarely get Lore Power Scrolls, as we have only 1 120, and we have too many tamers in training to part with that. So also no pinkies to spare.)
We would say with 2 Bouras there's a lot you can do, and it will train your ability to heal your pets as well. They have over 600hp so don't die THAT fast unless you jump in the middle of thick spawn or poisoners. Another option is using jewelry to use higher level pets. Or at 60, you can also get 5 wolf spiders, they are like a glass canon, massive damage with a full pack but not too durable. So make sure to bond your pets before you do crazy stuff.
What other skills does your tamer have?

Aclementa

Visitor
There is some activity on Europa - just not that obvious perhaps.

First of all, there's a daily "meet and greet" at the WBB - from 19:00-20:00 CET . Or you can try 'yell' for help in the HELP channel and you might find more there. And you can always try train up some blue beetles in between - but of course you need get up to 108 taming (at least) to be able to control fully trained 5-slot "pets" - there's no way around that.
oh nice to know about a meet and greet :) and i guess i can just stop upgrading my pet slot until i reach the different stages of taming :)

Im sorry, I do not play Europa. Ask around, many folks love to help. Once ya get to 90, its a breeze. Good luck to you and Welcome Back!!
Thanks alot :)

Hellooooo fellow European! We do have a 120 Taming and 110 Lore for you if you like? (Apparently we rarely get Lore Power Scrolls, as we have only 1 120, and we have too many tamers in training to part with that. So also no pinkies to spare.)
We would say with 2 Bouras there's a lot you can do, and it will train your ability to heal your pets as well. They have over 600hp so don't die THAT fast unless you jump in the middle of thick spawn or poisoners. Another option is using jewelry to use higher level pets. Or at 60, you can also get 5 wolf spiders, they are like a glass canon, massive damage with a full pack but not too durable. So make sure to bond your pets before you do crazy stuff.
What other skills does your tamer have?
thanks for the generous offer but aparently im just 53 taming and 65 lore atm, must have looked at lore and thought that was my taming when i logged out :p it will be ages before i can use the scrolls. Unless they are just laying around taking up space i think you should keep em since they... dont really contribute to my training, but ill start taming some wolves this evening! :)

I currently got 2 boura's and a couple of giant beetles to start training some stuff, just waiting for them to bond :)

im planning on:
Taming
Lore
Vet
Magery
Music
Peace or Disco

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
You can use those Power Scrolls rightaway, you don't have to wait before you can use them. We have the impression it even is better to have a higher skill cap as to make gains trigger (slightly) more, but we are totally not sure about that. The main reason we believe so is that chars in the 90s skill range seemed to gain a bit easier after "eating" a Power Scroll. But we don't habitually powergain at that level anymore, we often use the patient approach of (two-)daily gains. So it easily could all be imagination, our test cases are too few, anyone in here knows perhaps? Is it, the closer to the cap, the slower the gains, or just the higher the skill, the slower the gains?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The power scrolls are relatively common. Unlike in the past, many shards have people that will GIVE you the scrolls if 105, 110 or 115 (and some will even give you 120s!). It's really only Atlantic and Siege where there's any profit to be made from selling sub-120 PS for skills not used by (as opposed to ON) pets. PS that pets can use as part of training are expensive (Wrestling, in particular, went from near-worthless scrolls at any level, to 120 PS being worth tens of millions, from the taming changes).

Alacrity scrolls vary in cost by shard and skill - I know on Lake Austin, I don't sell any of them for more than 30-40k, and most for 5k to 20k. They are absurdly easy to get (in general) since the changes to T-maps a year or two ago, though the skills are semi-random (usually assigned by the chest type - maps are now based on 4-5 skill templates).

Pinks are where the expensive items are, usually 50-100k per 0.1 of skill; but many people will give or trade pinks to new or returning players for many skills. And, the ease of gaining from mastery use once you can use one at 90 (and the fact you can get 90 in 5 skills on a new character using a token from EA), has devalued taming pinks a little. I routinely give crafting skill pinks to other players (as the moderator on Stratics specializing in the crafting skill forum, I want as many crafters as possible).

pevil

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Welcome back! Keep an eye out for me, I'm also a returning player (but returned a few months ago) who is slowly heading up the taming treadmill. Got 110 taming and lore and saving desperately for the 120 scrolls myself. You can still do plenty, just try not to train stuff *too* high so you can't control it. Take the offer of scrolls! It's about 6 mil for a 120 taming, dunno what 120 lore is, don't think I've ever seen one on vendor search.

I haven't really met people in game but feel free to drop me a message on here ahead of a time you'll be on (only check once a day really) and if I'm free I'd be happy to jump online and we can go be returning tamers together :) Warning: I die a lot.

Gnoopey

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... just met the OP in the healers grove - fed / provided some stuff ... like some power scrolls, a mastery book, a taming primer, a crystal ball of knowledge and some 'words' - again welcome back on Europa Aclementa (!)

P.S.: the Tabby Kapak twins are mighty fine tamers & pet trainers - just in case !