• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Return to Order - Virtue/Vice

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well there is a reason Chaos has its own tenets that are the vice to Order's Virtue.

Even in apparent Chaos, Order is ever present and even if there is a delay in bringing back the balance to the struggle, Order presents itself to the fore once more.

It is a misconception that Chaos represents Freedom to choose what and how you represent yourself as being and that is most apparent in the way that the Virtues were turned into Draconian Laws by KB.

You can choose to represent Chaos by deception in the way that followers of Chaos do by utilising the principles of Virtue in a manner that is "out of Order" so to speak.

Taking things that do not belong to you and then wreathing yourself in false justification that it was only in order to protect the Virtues or that this protection without inclination toward Virtue itself is somehow acceptable if "everyone" is doing it.

That is Chaos for you people and look what it has wrought in its destructive tendencies.... only with Order and Virtue can the Shards be restored and their strength consolidated to save Sosaria.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
To put it simply... Chaos is Order's Virtues corrupted and subverted for ill gotten gains so let this propaganda for Chaos be burnt away for all to see clearly.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Actually, Chaos and Virtue are a bit different: originally, the Virtues are a way to unite all the Gem's shards back to restore the status quo - if every single person on every shard follows them - that is, to create some kind of "resonance" of minds between them. That's what LB assumed. Lord Blackthorn opposed this theory, stating that this would leave no room for differences in individuals - thus creating the ideology of Chaos. The opposition of Order and Chaos is hence ideological. LB was still good friends with Blackthorn (my friend Twilight Sparkle the Alicorn Pony Princess would often say "friendship is magic") and would not press on the ideology of Chaos.

The Order's Virtues corrupted is another thing tied to Chaos, but it, despite being made by Blackthorn in LB's absence, has little common with the ideology of Chaos - these are just some kind of draconic laws Blackthorn replaced Virtues with - perhaps simply to discreditate the ideology of Virtues - he really feared that the shards would unite if everyone accepts Virtue.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yes you see therein lies the deceit he has employed to subvert Virtue... This resonance or unity of intention/inclination is simply a medium of communication in a diverse universe of Virtue cultivating citizenry.

Secondly Blackthorn's opposition to this and support for the shattering of Sosaria, in his pride and greed for power allows only his narrow minded interpretation of what a united and Virtuous Sosaria would look like and so he displaces this perspective on all around him.

He commits sacrilege by defiling the Virtues into Laws when they are to be cultivated as traits in a person's character through their own choice, not forced upon them in shame that they aren't as virtuous as they should be.

What is most wrong about all this is that it is simply out despising what is the Virtuous thing to do in any given situation and that is the mark of the most dastardly.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
He did not believe his Laws; they were made to make people turn away from Virtues, so to make sure shards will not unite. He thought that would erase every individual self all of them have on different shards - think of old school Schwartzenegger movie about cloning.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well I understand that completely, however it is like looking at split personality syndrome. Is it healthier to maintain a fractured self identity or is it healthier to work toward a unified mind, working in focused and efficient harmony ?

Reading about the Guardians of Virtue it seems that this all stems from greed toward power. Blackthorn could not stand to be so close to the Lord British and have such influence without himself ruling the land. He simply stated the opposing view for personal gain and not necessarily because he truly believed his own propaganda.

However much he believed it is irrelevant because in so doing he set himself on his own path towards Chaos and carved his own tenants as self justification for the usurping of rule.

That the hypocrisy at the centre of it all remains such a prominent feature of that rule today is the true tenant that powers the engine and drives forward all others.

The three Principles Love, Truth and Courage and the antithesis of each being Hate, Deception and Cowardice are what people must look at and consider.

Love... to deal fairly with all and by doing so act as a shining example of how to treat one another with compassion.

Truth... Let it be tempered with Love and with pure inclination, what is at the heart of the reason you act the way you do ?

Courage... To stand up for what one believes in against doubters and opponents to Truth and Love being expressed openly and with freedom and without fear, doing so against all odds.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I don't care about all this, I'm true neutral. The point is, you are wrong about corrupted Virtues being Chaos, and I am right. Admit it, and I can forget about this thread.

Jonathen

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Order is a framework in which both Virtue and Vice can flourish.

So is Chaos.

To equate Order with Virtue (and Chaos with Vice) is like equating Day with Sweet and Night with Salt - the two axes are not parallel, they merely exist in the same space.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well what really is order... It is a sequence that brings about balance.

That is more important than people think.

The steps in the sequence might virtuous but when virtue falls to be replaced vice then it simply to redress the balance to make way for virtue to resurface and correct what has gone wrong.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Loriel will never admit he is wrong so you might as well give up now Marisa :p

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well it's not about right and wrong in this case, it is about greater knowledge for the greater good.

I'll send you my degree certificate in Philosophy if you really want to test my credentials.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also if she takes her time, Marisa will be able to see that I have said nothing contrary to what she did, simply added on top.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You said that Chaos is perverted Virtues. I said it isn't, then you agreed with me, but said again that perverted Virtues are Chaos. Were you disputing with yourself or something? Can't you simply admit yourself being wrong instead of trying to cut it into some complex wording?

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Look if you really want to know what Virtues are about then read up on Aristotle.

Don't waste your time arguing where there is no argument.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hang on will quickly summarise. Virtue is the balance of two extreme positions. Example, Bravery is virtuous because it is between Recklessness and Cowardice.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stop getting off the track, philosopher. We aren't discussing the Virtues, we're talking about Blackthorn's laws not being Chaos, to which you actually agreed and right after that you disagreed with yourself pointing out they are Chaos. I suggest you surrender now and admit youself being wrong, and me right.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can a mod please move all the bottom posts from my Word of Chaos thread to this thread.

Loriel

Sage
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also can a mod change the title of the thread to Order vs Chaos... I'm not out to advertise Chaos like Esca and now it seems someone wants to make it look like I am.

Marisa Kirisame

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I want you personally to admit that you were wrong and I was right because you agreed on my point (that the Blackthorn's laws have little to do with Chaos ideology and were made to discredit the Virtue ideology) first, then immediately disagreed with yourself about that. That's something considered a defeat, when you say something and say the opposite thing in the next moment.

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hehe i don't mind my properganda being questioned :) I've debated chaos my whole time in RP as Vesper was a firm follower of it too. Its just the Word of Chaos is a newspaper thread for reports informing people of events and the happenings of the Hand of Chaos. I didnt want it to get clogged up with this debate and throw it off topic :) Thats why i made a new thread so you can continue it here. Not telling you to stop or anything.

And hey the more you debate Chaos the more you advertise it :) Win win! :D