• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Retiring Event Item graphics?

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Was chatting with Nails last night and he brought up an interesting topic that I have not heard discussed here, i.e. retire some of the EM item graphics. And I hope Mesanna reads this. Some graphics have been used and re-used so many times that not only dilutes the original but just seemed plain boring now. For example that steal-able statue graphic from Catskills event last night. That must be the 3-4th time it's been used. It's not a good looking graphic to begin with and it doesn't capture the essence of the event IMO. But anyhow, this is a topic for discussion so which graphic would you like to see Mesanna retire from event drops.....

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On one hand i completely agree with this rhetoric. On the other i know a lot of people collect sets. Not necessarily sets from the same arch/series/shard but the same graphic type. I think those people would be disappointed.

Nails Warstein

Royal Explorer & Grand Archaeologian Of Sosaria
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I was referring to things such as sashes, robes, lanterns, scrolls, bods, power crystals, crystal balls, so on and so forth. Manticore's point was probably less than 10% of all the graphics represented in the game have been used for event items. Meanwhile 90% of all other graphics haven't been chosen. We both realize Mesanna probably has some quality assurance process to prevent certain graphics and colors from being used, and granted not many graphics would make a good event item. Yet that can't explain away the many other graphics left unchosen. At some point we both just thought certain graphics should be retired, maybe after 5 uses max? It is probably just wishful thinking.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was referring to things such as sashes, robes, lanterns, scrolls, bods, power crystals, crystal balls, so on and so forth. Manticore's point was probably less than 10% of all the graphics represented in the game have been used for event items. Meanwhile 90% of all other graphics haven't been chosen. We both realize Mesanna probably has some quality assurance process to prevent certain graphics and colors from being used, and granted not many graphics would make a good event item. Yet that can't explain away the many other graphics left unchosen. At some point we both just thought certain graphics should be retired, maybe after 5 uses max? It is probably just wishful thinking.
Yeah i can see that side of the story for sure. ive always been an advocate of using unique items only for em events to make them even more special... this would be a happy compromise.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Using your suggestion of 5 uses per item, with our current team how many EM Event items are there before they are all used up. Using all the old graphics is getting a little, I dont even know what word to use but a lot of old items are getting devalued and a lot of history is being thrown out the window. Would be nice if they could make new graphics.

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Just think about all the different expansion clothing, weapons, armor, and furniture still unused. Yeah maybe its not all the best looking stuff, but if you name the item appropriately with an appealing color and function, its better then much of what we are getting now. Not asking for them to use server birth graphics. There really is plenty to choose from, I am sure Brian can back this up statistically if he wanted to.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Just so we're dealing with real info, I figured I'd mine the wiki. Note that this includes rubble and such - any "rare" items in the wiki.

There's roughly 39,000 "item" graphics in the game, though some of pieces of ships, etc, and wouldn't make good standalone items.

Of those, 2,345 item graphics have so far actually been used.

Used 1 time: 1,219 graphics
Used 2 times: 438 graphics
Used 3 times: 180 graphics
Used 4 times: 95 graphics
Used 5 times: 64 graphics
Used 6 times: 75 graphics
Used 7 times: 61 graphics
Used 8 times: 32 graphics
Used 9 times: 22 graphics
Used 10 times: 15 graphics

Outliers:

The 13 most used graphics kind of make sense:

13. Graphic 4161‏‎ - used 70 times. - pie
12. Graphic 4234‏‎ - used 73 times. - ring (mostly from wedding rings)
11. Graphic 5042‏‎ - used 73 times. - bow (mostly from Juka bows)
10. Graphic 5360‏‎ - used 77 times. - deed
9. Graphic 5359‏‎ - used 81 times. - deed
8. Graphic 8478‏‎ - used 86 times. - bear (valentines bears, mostly)
7. Graphic 11233‏‎ - used 112 times. - gingerbread cookie
6. Graphic 7939‏‎ - used 132 times. - robe
5. Graphic 3191‏‎ - used 151 times. - carrot
4. Graphic 2537‏‎ - used 247 times. - cake
3. Graphic 5441‏‎ - used 421 times. - sash
2. Graphic 5928‏‎ - used 520 times. - egg/lemon
1. Graphic 3628‏‎ - used 1003 times. - bottle (because there were 1000 different hues for quest bottles)

Outside of those 12, there's 131 graphics that have been used more than 10 times. Note that the plants here mostly come from pre-patch plants, rather than EM items:

So... which would you retire?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Some items items are classic, boots, lanterns, robes etc. its all about if the graphic "fits". some items that have been used many times really are the best for the item. what i hate to see is a really bad, or meaningless item just used because its a popular graphic. like another meaningless lantern or that terrible Origin pegasus with the date in it. people just wanted it because of the graphic, not because it was a good item.

i think in season 14 we did see a good amount of "new" graphics for event items, and hope this continues. there is no good reason that if a graphic exists in the game it shouldnt be an option to be used as an event item.

anyone pls feel free to necro this thread with suggestions for graphics in S15.
[Discussion] - What new graphics would you like to see for EM items?

Nails Warstein

Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
@BrianFreud What you data mined is such a great resource for EMs and Mesanna to consider before they elect to reuse a graphic. If they choose a color, function, and a name that just fits perfectly for a reused graphic once in a while, I wouldn't mind that. It's just all too often like @Smoot mentioned, they choose horrible names. In my opinion, if Mesanna put as much care into what names are put on these event items as she does color and graphic, there wouldn't be so much junk. What is the point of putting symbols, dates, and shard name on an item? Trophies in the EM Hall fine, but an item you wish to display should have at least some role playing purpose. This here is just ridiculous.
Forest Maintenance D[^o^]

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Personally, I think that "D[^o^]" nonsense in all the recent items from that shard needs to go, regardless of what graphic or hue is used.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like the items to have meaning and whatever graphic the EM wants to use to create a meaningful reward, let them. How many times the graphic has been used doesnt matter IMO.

This is only an issue because so many rewards are like this:
"Some holiday on my shard 2016"
or
"Piece of driftwood that floated by on the river which was kinda closeby when we killed the villain"

Clops

Sage
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread Lord
I like the items to have meaning and whatever graphic the EM wants to use to create a meaningful reward, let them. How many times the graphic has been used doesnt matter IMO.
I agree with Prom on this. Players are completionists: many collect wearables, pigs, boots, trees. Retiring a graphic could disappoint a number of collectors. Also as @Promathia pointed out, if the item fits the story, it should be able to be used, regardless of the graphic.

What we need isn't to retire graphics but request that Mesanna and the EMs look through all graphics available to them and be creative in their choices. Also, I'm a purist and love the original art, so I'd hate to see anything old retired.

This has become a digression. So, to answer the original question from @Manticore, I'd retire the BOD graphic... because I hate that graphic. Oh, and that large round glowing crystal thing... what even is that? It's just awful. Oh... and any spider statues because my roof is at its limit.

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
What turns me off of event items is useless function. The fish tank crystal, the recent anvil, any container with a secondary function i.e. sparkling, instead of functioning properly as a container. Yet 2 soulforges work properly??? The ebony furniture was fantastic because 1 it wasn't another wearable, and 2 it functioned properly. I just wish they would have continued it...

Spell channeling lanterns are obviously what's in...

What's also crazy to me is how many awesome colors are available yet our color palette for rares recently seems hyper limited.

Really all I'm trying to say... someone make a ladder graphic that works to get me to the second floor and cool looking and has a good name!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like it when an EM thinks outside the box and creates an entire new event item that defies modern day items or items we have seen in the past.

New graphics with new color that symbolizes a meaning.
Old graphics used in unique ways.

The Shattered Crown Of The Queen Of The Seven Seas Of Rhye Azure Wisp Chamber (Atlantic)
The Infinity Bone, Relic Of The Dog God Stolen By Dom The Cat On A Transdimensional Quest (Baja)
Drinks To Celebrate The Opening Of The Museum Of Mystery (Lake Superior)

Blood Spawn Antiquity From The Second Cataclysm (Great Lakes)
Pet Rock (Napa Valey)
Worshiper Of Vereor - Pledging Mind, Body and Soul To His Greatness (Napa Valley)
Heart Of The Ocean (If It Worked) (Napa Valley)
A Blood Soaked Deadwood Tree Immortalized By The Horrid Murders Of Bane: Ashmedai (Pacific) (My favorite)

Part Of An Oar From A Pirate Ship During The Fight To Avenge Bloodstone (Sonoma)

My criticism for this season is that some EM's break the 4th wall in regards to role playing. Real life dates and the EM's name with the "EM" in the front should NEVER be used. It breaks the purpose of said event item. You should never acknowledge that the RPC is just the EM and you should never acknowledge real world activity such as months, days, and years. Origin was the worst at this. My other criticism would be Lake Austin when Augustus was still there. None of the items made sense to the story line and when it did make sense, the items name was jumbled with clutter in order to make the name longer. Long names are great when they can tell a story but adding an extra adjective where one should not be is a way to ruin an item.

The purpose of event items are to remember the story it came from. If an item achieves that in some fashion and it can be appreciated, even by a single person, then it is a fine item. The real tragedy is when the item means nothing and it hold no bearing for display and it gets boxed in storage. So much potential fiction wasted.

Graphics are okay to be reused as long as it isn't the same boring concept as the rest. Add a flare to it. Make it unique to that story line, that shard, and that EM.

Just me .02 if any EM still has their stratics account and see's this or if Mesanna does.

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What turns me off of event items is useless function. The fish tank crystal, the recent anvil, any container with a secondary function i.e. sparkling, instead of functioning properly as a container. Yet 2 soulforges work properly??? The ebony furniture was fantastic because 1 it wasn't another wearable, and 2 it functioned properly. I just wish they would have continued it...
if you are referring to the LS anvil, it does work. i have it locked down at my zento home and it works just fine.

On one hand i completely agree with this rhetoric. On the other i know a lot of people collect sets. Not necessarily sets from the same arch/series/shard but the same graphic type. I think those people would be disappointed.
There are a few graphics I have all the EM items of, the tall ruined banners, the ter-mur mirrors and the crystal braziers. I am happy with them stopping with them now. i tend to fit them into my display in my LA house but when another one comes up I have to buy it and find a way to jam it in there without pissing off my OCD. I'd be happy to retire those graphics (and a lil tangent which really annoyed me, the last damn ter-mur mirror drop has the exact same red color as one of the other ter-mur mirror drops, and there are 6 of that graphic, 6 and they reused a color. wtf game...)

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the business side stand point, every account counts so please consider these constructive criticisms. For a while I almost left but friends and Events brought me back. Twenty years and only less than 10% of the graphics have been used so would you consider 5% more for the next 10 years? Another twenty years of this game and it will be after I retire from work LOL. I understand creating 30+ items per month on average gets crazy after a while and both Mesanna and all the EMs can't remember everything, but you have a few people here with steel-trap minds when it comes to rare items that can really help. I wish some sort of a vetting process can be formed to at least say to the next item that "Ah yes, you've created that 7 times now in the past 2 years etc.." You can still do whatever you like of course but at least we've done our due diligence.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
My criticism for this season is that some EM's break the 4th wall in regards to role playing. Real life dates and the EM's name with the "EM" in the front should NEVER be used. It breaks the purpose of said event item. You should never acknowledge that the RPC is just the EM and you should never acknowledge real world activity such as months, days, and years. Origin was the worst at this. My other criticism would be Lake Austin when Augustus was still there. None of the items made sense to the story line and when it did make sense, the items name was jumbled with clutter in order to make the name longer. Long names are great when they can tell a story but adding an extra adjective where one should not be is a way to ruin an item.
While I mostly agree, there are a couple exceptions I think make sense. If the thing to commemorate is specific to the EM - the EM Takako commemoratives for example - then it makes sense. I'll even be ok with "Burnt Beef From EM Willows 2nd Year Anniversary Party".

For shard and/or date, If it's creating a defined set, like the mutant elf items or the girl's/boy's day items, then shard and year makes sense.

Item names that I wasn't a fan of this year, though, because of unneeded dates and symbols:
  • A Perfect Pumpkin From Harvey's Collection [Drachenfels 2016]
  • Assassins Of Evil Defeated - June 2016
  • Bacon & Beer Brawl 2016
  • Cider Spider Sac ^ Tunnel Of Terror ^ October 2016
  • Drop On The Deck & Flop Like A Fuddy Wuddy Fish - August 2016
  • Easter Finally Comes To Chesapeake 2016
  • Fuddy Wuddys Beach Ball Volleyball – July 2016
  • Happy Easter From Sakura 2016
  • Happy Easter From Yamato 2016
  • Ornament For The Star Festival 2016
  • Spring Fever 2016
  • D[^o^] Life Jacket
  • Forest Maintenance D[^o^]
  • Greetings From EM Mercury \[^o^]/
  • King Blackthorn * 4th Anniversary Coronation
  • Pikky[Plush Doll]
I really don't care that EM Mercury thinks that [^o^] looks like an insignia. It doesn't, and those item names are just horrible.

I'm also not a fan of the super long names that have been given more and more often, but to each their own.

Above all, there NEEDS to be some more attention paid to typos, grammar, and word choices that make sense. There's a max of 27 items every month. There's just no excuse for the sloppy errors. Just a few examples from this year:
  • A Finely Hewn Ebony Chest Of Drawers With An Intricate Design Of Infernal Markings (missing hyphen, "Finely-Hewn")
    A Finely Spun Silk "Humanity First" Banner, It In Pristine Condition (missing hyphen, "Finely-Spun")
  • Crystalized Void Energy ("Crystallized")
  • Ecdysis Of Little Spider Queen Syndra ('Ecdysis' is a verb for the shedding of the exoskeleton; the word for the shell that's left behind is 'exuviae')
  • Fuddy Wuddys Beach Ball Volleyball ("Wuddy's")
  • Heart Of Frost Wyrm ("Heart Of A Frost Wyrm", "Heart From A Frost Wyrm", something like that)
  • I Survived Osiredons Revenge ("Osiredon's")
  • Quiet Weve Of Tokuno ("Wave")
  • Spirit Of Forgotten Dream World's
  • Termurs Medical Dictionary ("Ter Mur's")
  • With The Biggest Love For All Britannian

Last edited:

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"The bloodied bandages of the fallen"

Original stacked Bandage art, dyed with that multicolored looking red color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll even be ok with "Burnt Beef From EM Willows 2nd Year Anniversary Party".
the part that annoys me about items like this is simply the EM part in it. at willow's 1st yr party she gave out "A Blood Stained Cloak Obtained At Willow's Anniversary Party" which is fine to me since it doesn't have the EM part in it, it doesn't specifically break the fourth wall by calling out their job title.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
....Above all, there NEEDS to be some more attention paid to typos, grammar, and word choices that make sense. There's a max of 27 items every month. There's just no excuse for the sloppy errors....
For me, this especially, along with the newsletters that look like someone wrote in the car on the way to work that morning. I generally love the game but when you misspell the name of one of your own shards or common everyday words (spirt, instead of spirit) it gives the impression that you aren't really all that invested in what you are putting out. It's the polish on the final product. Nobody sees the long hours and planning that goes into making a vendor search or customizable castles a reality - but they can see that no one noticed "toy" in "toy chest" was misspelled. And it's an extremely easy fix.

I would also include in this using the wrong word (chalice instead of trellis) or the wrong graphic (soul forge for a chalice. A chalice is a cup, not a bathtub and not a frame for vines.)
As for the original post: they can retire a graphic, but I would prefer they use a wider variety. I'm ok with them re-using a graphic, as long as it makes sense.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I do not think graphics should be retired. I would like to see more creativity in going in to creating the items tho. I think that certain Ems just kind of see what other Ems are doing and kind of decide to drop something similar. I apologize if I'm wrong but how else do you explain some of the recent dolphin drops, the LS Vondont style crystals, the 2 anvils (after it having never been used before), all dropping within short amounts of time of each other?Granted this could be coincidence, but highly doubtful.

Also, I know Ems are just players like us and also tend to be creatures of habit just like most of us, it is often easy to go with what you know or are used to rather than try something new. There have been great new graphic drops recently and they didn't devalue any existing (if any) unique or near unique items with the same graphic. They also didn't sell for a fortune either. (Take the graffiti or wriggling tentacle for example) I'm not sure if maybe Mesanna was kind of handicapping Ems with a limited amount of graphics thinking that new graphics might sell for too much or what, but it does seem like there has been some leeway given to different graphics being used lately. I hope this trend of new graphics continues, and please don't retire any crystals!!

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
I tried this as a contest at Chessiefest, but there were very few entries. How about if everyone started throwing out item ideas? Name, graphic, hue. If nothing else, maybe some EMs get new ideas.

For the graphic, use EC to get the item #, or just use InsideUO or the other one (I forget its name); get the item # from there. That number is in hexadecimal. Then use Hexadecimal to Decimal Converter to convert it to a decimal number. (So if the item number in InsideUO is 1234, the decimal equivalent would be 4660).

Then pick a hue; the wiki has every hue's info, examples, etc. (Note that the new 5 dyes' colors don't show properly yet.)

Using those 2 numbers, you can use servuo's graphics API to generate that image. So using item 4660 and hue 1234, the URL would be http://services.servuo.com/uoapi/item/4660/1234

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}
Troglodyte Cave Wall Art

item: 4660
hue: 1234​
{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]