• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Resource cost to train a crafter....

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I have not had to train these skills in over a decade so any experience I have is likely outdated.
How much resources and time does it take to work up:

Blacksmithing
Tailoring
TInkering
Carpentry
Fletching

Malee

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not sure myself - I always tend to train crafting the slow way - gather the resources as I go way. But I would train tinkering first, since you make all the tools for the other skills with it. There is a new haven quest for tinkering to help it to 50. Carpentry not that bad either, could train lumberjacking for the wood since it also raises strength by alot. Blacksmithing will be the worse time wise and resource wise. There are probably good guides in the crafter forums here or on uo.com 's wikis.

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
I have not had to train these skills in over a decade so any experience I have is likely outdated.

Blacksmithing
Tailoring
TInkering
Carpentry
Fletching
go train mining first, that way when you train blacksmithing you get back more when you smelt.
you can train using new items and you get hit 120 blacksmithing with under 60k in iron, circlets and boomerangs on the high end.
Tailoring is the same as it always has been, again you can mix in new items and you can use cloth all the way to 120 and youll need aprox 4000 bolts. oil cloth (bandaids) to 109 then garg kilts and arms to 120.
Tinkering is the same as it always has been, lockpicks to 90 is cheap and easy, 7k iron or so.
its the last 10 points that will kill ya on iron.
use the satyr trick and it will save you time and iron.
Carpentry and fletching are the same, no changes there.
super fast and your gonna need 60k wood per skill to be safe.

all the skills, if you have the time and the will power and the resources available, you can blast them out in 6-8 hours each.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
A few extra notes:
Get a salvage bag for tailor and smith items. it doesn't give bonus ingots back anymore, but it's a lot quicker.
Some of those crafting items for Tinkering and carpentry that can't be recycled, you can either use for quests in Heartwood or Britain Library donations. Look around and check.
For tailor, if you do ninja hoods before going to the gargoyle stuff, you can donate those to the library.
Fletching - you can go ALL the way from the beginning to GM doing Heartwood quests, and you can get runics from the quests.
For smith I didn't do boomerangs, and went from circlets to royal circlets. IT boils down to getting 3/5 back recycling Boomerangs, or getting 4/6 back recycling royal circlets if 101.2 or better mining (using +3 or +5 mining gloves) (at a slightly less gain chance) that's 60% vs 66.67% ingot return. The MUCH lower weight of the circlets also means you can make 100+ per crafting pass, instead of having to recycle 2-3x as often with boomerangs. In the end, the ingot costs will probably balance out.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A novel way of getting ingots, if you get bored with mining, is killing golems in Blackthorn's dungeon. My tamer's last trip there netted me 7 compassion sage, because the golems spawn with controllers, 952 ingots, an amount of gold, power crystals and dawns music box gears (which I put in for cleanup points), a minax artifact and significant skill gains on the pet I was training. I probably could have gotten more, but I get bored if I stay more than an hour in one place :D

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Sot. Remember to hit New Haven to train every skill to 40.
Some skills only train to 33.3 still, even in New Haven. And, of course, SP doesn't have Tram (before anyone pipes in about it) or buying skills up.

On the other hand, once you get all the skills trained via gold, Mining, Blacksmith, and Tinkering have quests for fast-gaining to 50, and quests that provide more tools. Remember, that you cannot buy skills up (even unrelated ones) if you have even one fast skill gain quest active.

Mining's got two quests - 1 where a small amount of ore gets you more tools for digging, and the other for the fast skill gain. The first saves you time wasted running back to town for more tools, and below 50 skill you were probably going to fail smelting that ore anyway. The skill gain quest reward is a character-linked pickaxe that gives a +10 Mining bonus when equipped, but only 20 charges (however, when on the character that claimed it, it regains charges - and doesn't uses charges when used for smelting).

Blacksmith likewise has two quests (one for tools, one for fast gain), and the smith gain reward is a +10 smith hammer similarly tied to that specific character (doesn't use charges during enhancing or smelting, only crafting)

Tinker's skill gain reward is just a non-recharging 500-use Tinker's tool.

As mentioned earlier, for Bowcraft/Fletching

1. Buy up the skill as high as you can get (I think it might be one of the 33.3 skills in New Haven)
  2. Get as many pack animals as you can, loaded with boards and fletching tools (and your pack as full as you can and still move)
  3. Go to Heartwood (entrance in the middle of Yew)
  4. find the two NPC for the skill.
  5. Pull up one of their bars.
  6. Click on their bar, looking for the quest for "a simple bow" (re-double-click on the bar if the wrong quest comes up, until you get the one you want). Accept the quest.
  7. Open your fletching tool gump, make sure that "mark as quest item" is set, and craft until you make 10 of the items requested.
  8. Redeem the quest, and repeat steps 6-8 (grabbing more boards and crafting tools off your pack animals as needed, and moving reward packs to pack animals when you pack fills up*) - until you reach 60 skill.
  9. At 60 skill, switch to "Ingenious Archery I" quest, and make Crossbows. Continue the process as outlined in 6-8 only for this quest instead of the bow quest.
  10. At 80 skill, switch to "Ingenious Archery II" quest, and Heavy Crossbows.
  11. At 90 skill, switch to "Ingenious Archery III" quest, and Repeating Crossbows. This will take you all the way to GM.
The end result will be that you don't have to throw away the items crafted during Bowcraft training. Instead, you'll get other stuff....
  • a number of items (weapons and armor; most will be junk - some might be recyclable for material for smith/tailor, the rest trash for cleanup points),
  • a number of crafting skill talismans that add to success chance, not to skill (and a few might allow you to summon boards, ingots or bandages every few minutes when worn - use them up during training and there is a time consuming way to recharge them - bandage ones are useful to insure and keep on a tamer, to res one's pet if both you and it die, before trying to get back to your corpse)
  • Bowcraft recipes (once you have all of them for your character, you can throw away the extras for 10 cleanup points each)
  • Rarely, one of the 4 Bowcraft/Fletching runics.
A few runics could effectively pay for all the wood you invested in the training.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what shard are you on? There are people that will help you with cave rune book and tools to get started. Buy mining/blacksmith and tink, while you are mining you can make your own shovels. A fire Beatle and 2 packies will let you mine for a long time in caves. Also you could add a ship to mine at sea with your animals and get saltpeter to sell as a bonus.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
There is a LOT of good information here, thank you everyone for commenting.

what shard are you on? There are people that will help you with cave rune book and tools to get started. Buy mining/blacksmith and tink, while you are mining you can make your own shovels. A fire Beatle and 2 packies will let you mine for a long time in caves. Also you could add a ship to mine at sea with your animals and get saltpeter to sell as a bonus.
I am about to build crafters on about 20 shards.
120 Tailoring
120 Smith
100 Tinker
100 Fletching
100 Carpentry
100 Magery

Jump off point is Atlantic. I am going to wam-bam through my list as fast as possible so I do not plan on mining.
Currently have about 1.7 mil iron ingots, 1 mil leather, and maybe 1mil boards ready to ship out.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Buy a mythic token then buy two 5.0 SOTs to GM or Six 5.0s to Legendary and skip the resources and time sinks all together.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
People need repairs everywhere(myself included) It can be really hard to find repair deeds on a lot of shards

And because I can.
Most people have a crafter or know someone that will sell them repair deeds. The days of sitting at the smith shop and doing repairs for people are long gone. Nobody hands over gear to be repaired, they buy PoF and repair deeds from vendors.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most people have a crafter or know someone that will sell them repair deeds. The days of sitting at the smith shop and doing repairs for people are long gone. Nobody hands over gear to be repaired, they buy PoF and repair deeds from vendors.
Repair deeds should die. Just pay the smith 50 gold per item and have it repaired as if 120 skill.

Seriously - no one is making a living selling repair deeds. Trust me.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Repair deeds should die. Just pay the smith 50 gold per item and have it repaired as if 120 skill.

I think his point is, are you going to hand over a 1p piece of gear to some random crafter to repair?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think his point is, are you going to hand over a 1p piece of gear to some random crafter to repair?
Back in the day, UBB (United Blacksmiths of Britannia - or something like that) would hold repair/craft fairs at various forges in the towns on a certain day. They were highly regarded and worked for tips only. Also this was the time when GM meant something ... and there was a chance that even at GM, the piece could be broken. People still flocked to their events ... including me.

So yeah, I would hand over a piece of gear to someone I don't personally know for repair - or even imbuing - if their reputation is decent enough. And I tip damned well, I might add. <chuckle>

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Back in the day, UBB (United Blacksmiths of Britannia - or something like that) would hold repair/craft fairs at various forges in the towns on a certain day. They were highly regarded and worked for tips only. Also this was the time when GM meant something ... and there was a chance that even at GM, the piece could be broken. People still flocked to their events ... including me.
I remember those days, I also remember I could replace an entire suit for 2k gold or less, if something broke unless it was a Silver Vanq it usually wan't a huge deal.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

So yeah, I would hand over a piece of gear to someone I don't personally know for repair - or even imbuing - if their reputation is decent enough. And I tip damned well, I might add. <chuckle>
I would have preferred if they had made a box and placed it at many of the most popular places where a player could drop their item in, select what they needed done to it and then target a crafter to do the work... who would review what needed done... haggle over price.... price set and agreed (much like a trade window) item remains in the box... the crafter does the work, money is exchanged when the crafter finishes the work ordered and then the item is returned to owner... both are happy... but instead we got silly contracts which killed that lovely interaction.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
There is a LOT of good information here, thank you everyone for commenting.

I am about to build crafters on about 20 shards.
120 Tailoring
120 Smith
100 Tinker
100 Fletching
100 Carpentry
100 Magery

Jump off point is Atlantic. I am going to wam-bam through my list as fast as possible so I do not plan on mining.
Currently have about 1.7 mil iron ingots, 1 mil leather, and maybe 1mil boards ready to ship out.
couple years ago i went and did just that on every shard in the game (except Mugen) and is was a lofty goal but now its sooooooooo nice to have mules everywhere!
i went about mine a little different than you though, i run 3 accounts so i had lots of open characters to choose from so i split it (the skills) into 2 and made 2 mules.
1st fella was my metal mule and 2nd fella is my wood mule.
metal mule
120 smithing
120 tailoring
120 imbuing
100 arms lore
100 tinkering
100 magic
60 focus
(when i started the guy i would work med and focus up to 100 while training magic, then id go out and train mining, once i had the mining GMed id go train blacksmithing. once done that id stone off the mining and and work up tailoring then imbuing)
on a couple of them i left mining on and just took the magic to 60 and used ring/braclet/spellbook to top up.

wood mule
100 carpentry
100 bowcraft
100 arms lore
100 tinkering
100 lumberjack
100 med or focus (or mining)
75 chiv
45 music
the music allows me to make music instruments with is important to me as i run a pure bard and disco tamer on every shard so i need ammo!

splitting the workload into 2 guys worked very well for me but does have one big drawback.
i am unable to make the high end house add on's which has come back to haunt me when guild mates slap a house down on a random shard and needed stuff like soulforges and what have you.
but all in all it works for me.

and its hella nice being able to craft and imbue on any shard i want or need!
plus if someone needs a hand fixing or getting something made i can help out if im not busy.

but ya, its a lofty goal, so good luck, but well worth the time investment in the end.

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
just be mindful, once people find out you have a 120 imbuer on every shard you get a lot of request to make newbie suits and weapons for people.
which isnt bad or expensive but when you start making bunches of suits it sure eats the old jewels up fast!!!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Blacksmithing
Tailoring
TInkering
Carpentry
Fletching
Somebody did work up crafters from 0 to max and kept track of the resources and posted it here a long time ago.

Was it you @Poo ?

Poo

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
ya, i have it all in my big UO binder but im too lazy to dig it all out.
as a ruff number a person can assume 60k per skill per resource to get done using the least resource spending items.
so boomerangs and circlets for blacksmithing and bandaids and cloth garg kilts/arms for tailoring.
same for carp and bowcrafting.

that was what i would do when i hit a new shard, work mining till i had 60k iron.
work LJ till i had 60k wood.
that way i knew id have enough to finish even if the RNG was being nasty to me.

Sara D

Adventurer
Cooking was mentioned for making wood pulp for scrolls. (1 wood pulp + 5 blank scrolls.) Raise cooking by making dough from start to gm. This way when and if you do cooking bods you will have the dough to make things with.

As for handing things over to a stranger, people come to me to paint their ethys. I paint them and hand them back.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Well as for handing things over to a stranger... I often move things even EM Event drops for people from shard to shard... soo... yeah.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What I did for crafters:

Main account
Inscription: On my mystic/mage/weaver, where I can get full use of its bonuses for magery stuff.
Fletching: On my archer, for repairs on the fly, I stone Arms Lore onto him when crafting weapons for use/reforging.
Cooking: On its own character (the one I use from my main account that does my cross-shard trips, as everyone else plays vital roles in their guilds). Character has started adding Alchemy to enhance wine-making, and holds onto the account's GM lumberjacking. More likely to LJ than the Mule below, though.
Mining: Have a dedicated miner (with 120 blacksmith, but rarely craft with him anymore). Character uses his other 500 points to be a legendary macer with Chiv, with almost 100 additional points to the combat aspect of the template from gear.

Secondary accounts:
Primary Crafter: 120 Smith/120 Tailor/100 Lore/100 mining (technically, I've got 4 of these - 2 of which have GM Tinker as well - the other 3 are BOD runners that got trained up filling BODs in their spare time). This is the one that gets first choice of the recipes, though, and is capable of farming leather with its combat skills (chiv, swords, tactics, and uses a reptile slayer skinning knife he looted from a dragon in 2004). Rarely ever mines, though could as needed.

Mule: 100 Alchemy/100 Tinker/100 Carpentry/120 Imbuing/100 LJ/70 Smith/70 tailor/60 magery. Uses equipment to get to over GM Magery, and has equipment to swap out to get to 45 music for instruments. uses an ASH to get over 80 smith for crafting the last of the add-ons. Has the character above craft the items to imbue/reforge.

for repairs, I either make my own deeds, or bag stuff up and have the two characters above do the repairs (such as I did for my Tamer 2 nights ago)

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED

No they should not die..If you live in certain areas like doom gauntlet and stay there for weeks, repair deeds is what may save your equipment. you have many of them in the blue beetle that you brought there, plus other supplies etc. it costs $$ and time to go back and forth there..They are useful items to fighters and should stay as they are..Not for making profit, but for the usefulness..

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What are you talking about? Didn't I just say that.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No they should not die..If you live in certain areas like doom gauntlet and stay there for weeks, repair deeds is what may save your equipment. you have many of them in the blue beetle that you brought there, plus other supplies etc. it costs $$ and time to go back and forth there..They are useful items to fighters and should stay as they are..Not for making profit, but for the usefulness..
Why not just take a crafter down there and park them at that rate...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No chance in the world I would hand over my max luck suit, that is all 70s 100lrc 70MI and 13MR some casting focus and fire eater to boot with every piece having a bless deed burned on it. Throw in the the forged metal tool used to enhance the 150 luck legendaries up to 190. Noooo I will use repair deeds or pass the gear over to a crafter if I have one on shard to make the repairs. Took way too long to farm the pieces I wanted or close to what I wanted and too much expense enhancing and blessing those pieces. I wouldn't let my own mother hold them and repair them on the off chance she would jack them.

But why make it a either/or add NPC repairs and leave repair deeds as they are. Personally I would stick with repair deeds when possible just because it does not involve carting the character around to the various NPCs. But on shards where it is next to impossible to find repair deeds the NPCs being able to make the repairs would be handy.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Actually I think logging out in the doom gauntlet is an exploit and you should get kicked out like you do at a champ spawn. They wouldn't have made it an effort to cross with gold skulls if you were supposed to get in and out easily. Maybe the devs can fix this in the next release too. Log out in doom - teleported to Umbra. Just like if you log out in a champ spawn area.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually I think logging out in the doom gauntlet is an exploit and you should get kicked out like you do at a champ spawn. They wouldn't have made it an effort to cross with gold skulls if you were supposed to get in and out easily. Maybe the devs can fix this in the next release too. Log out in doom - teleported to Umbra. Just like if you log out in a champ spawn area.
I totally agree but I agree that this should be the case in ALL dungeon area's not just Doom or whatever... But that's me.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Oops! I think I opened a can of worms..yiaiks..
But logging off there has been there forever..and going there is not for the weak at heart, esp now that DF has been boosted..as I hear..Are archers still good there or completely nerfed in gauntlet? Are swords much better there nowdays? I hear contradicting stories.