• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Resists

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Perhaps it’s time (more likely, way overdue) for a thread on resists.

I’m not an expert in any way shape or form. But with so many possibilities, it might be handy to have a single spot for this.

Most of the time I’ve used either 80,80,45,80,80 or 80,75,70,70,70 where I could, but having recently seen another that in many ways might be a better all around setup will be one that I will try out. Time for me to grab a fresh pet for some fun! Btw, I’m thinking this 80,80,60,60,80 might be a good one!

Personally, I hope the person in question will post here and that way they can help better the community as a whole

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I go for a more even spread across them all.

My most recent CU was: 76,76,71,70,72

My most recent nightmare was: 75,80,70,70,70

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I’m thinking this 80,80,60,60,80 might be a good one!
Remember we get another 5 points.

The main question is: What is the damage of the Mob you are fighting.

Some pets have an overcap or a high cold or poison. so you have to adjust for that.

Lore your intended targets and build to fit.

Most mobs that take >5min have Physical, Fire, Energy damage or a combo of.

Most casters have fire.

When I build my new collection of Hiryus they will keep whatever poison and cold they have and get 80 in the others. They are short on points.

If you have these: You have poison or cold damagers covered.
upload_2018-6-23_17-53-0.png

Now for the rest of the 90% of the content:

I go with this: Because very few things do cold damage.

upload_2018-6-23_17-54-58.png

I have many Cus. I wish there were more cold damagers.

I also like the 80 80 60 65 80 build.

The main thing is: Lore your intended target

Last edited:

Gardo

Journeyman
Perhaps it’s time (more likely, way overdue) for a thread on resists.

I’m not an expert in any way shape or form. But with so many possibilities, it might be handy to have a single spot for this.

Most of the time I’ve used either 80,80,45,80,80 or 80,75,70,70,70 where I could, but having recently seen another that in many ways might be a better all around setup will be one that I will try out. Time for me to grab a fresh pet for some fun! Btw, I’m thinking this 80,80,60,60,80 might be a good one!

Personally, I hope the person in question will post here and that way they can help better the community as a whole
Too late to save that awesome thread Khaelor provided on PP mares. Sadly, I was typing away on that thread as it disappeared. I was going to say that resists break down to personal preference. I’m not a min/max’er, but I definitely appreciate the people that are able to (and do) this for the community. I have various configurations on various pets and all have their advantages and drawbacks. That’s the fun part of this game. There’s no ‘one and only’ pet that does every bit of content in the game.

Anyway, I’m going to miss that PP mare thread....

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup, I hope they took it down to remove non NM specific stuff. and it returns. I have never seen a whole thread go poof that didn't break the rules.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I didn’t notice the mare thread went *poof*

Pawain, you do make a very valid point, about building a pet for the fight you want. But I also feel there is room for some all around, otherwise known as general purpose pets.

I certainly not an expert, but do love to build and train pets. Sadly, my weak spot has been resists, which is why I go the “lazy” route and use one of the two I listed. But I would like to see what others have used and found success with. Personally, I’d like to see what others use as their go to setup.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Too late to save that awesome thread Khaelor provided on PP mares. Sadly, I was typing away on that thread as it disappeared. I was going to say that resists break down to personal preference. I’m not a min/max’er, but I definitely appreciate the people that are able to (and do) this for the community. I have various configurations on various pets and all have their advantages and drawbacks. That’s the fun part of this game. There’s no ‘one and only’ pet that does every bit of content in the game.

It can be recreated. I checked and it wasn't available on archive.org.

You could say, like people did in that thread, that it's personal preference, but I think that people can post some methods and talk about the differences.

The "Pawain" Method, you Max 4 and use remaining points (45 or less) in the last one (Cold or Poison). I say 45 or less, because as he pointed out Cu can overcap on Cold. Someone can probably mention other pets that have overcapped resists.

Pro: Max Resist in 4 Categories. Least damage taken in those choices. Fully utilizes the available resist training limit.
Con: Has low resist in the remaining category. (35 points below Max Resist)
Solutions: Use another pet when hunting something that does significant damage in that resist.
TBD: With a realistic sample of typical things tamers hunt, what happens when it is faced with its foe that damages in its low resist?

The "DJAd" Method, even out the resists with 75/80/70/70/70.

Pro: Never more than 10 points off max resist. Fully utilizes the available resist training limit.
Con: Only Max resist in one category.
TBD: Does being down 10 points ever cause the pet to die vs a pet with max resist in that category?

The hybrid method, Max 3, even out 2 (80/80/60/60/80)

Pro: Max Resist in categories that commonly give melee damage and spell damage. Saves 5 points of resist for tight builds.
Con: 20 points below max in 2 categories. Does not fully utilize the available resist training limit.
TBD: What is the additional damage taken in 2 below max categories and when will it be a barrier to success?

From what you said, "There’s no ‘one and only’ pet that does every bit of content in the game." Maybe there should be a list of trials of what a pet can kill and under what conditions (Tamer discords, vets, casts heal, or has L3 mastery running).
My list nominees to start with would be: Swoop, Navery
Maybe have a lesser pets challenge list also for 2 and 3 slot trained pets.
This might help people move it from discussion to game.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Use the hunters guide or uo guide and look at the things you want to fight. The average player will find few difficult cold or poison damage mobs they want to fight.

That' where I am coming from.

You can make a pet for a specific mob.
First thing I made was a Melasande killer.
But I do not think the average of all the damage types is even. So even resists is not the best overall pet.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I hope they took it down to remove non NM specific stuff. and it returns. I have never seen a whole thread go poof that didn't break the rules.
Agree. Although, you had made a good point about using another pet under certain limited circumstances. I thought that was informative and should have been included. Personally, I wouldn't be happy with my pre patch build if I didn't find out, "Hey when you go hunt X, just use a Cu, it works better." until after I used the points. To me it is important information because the pre patch pets aren't replaceable and you can't redo the points after. I want my pre patch build to be head to head the best choice, but know what it will struggle with compared to other pets.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UOLAPlayer, I do find the hybrid method as you call it, very interesting. But with 5 points left on the table, why not make one of the 60’s a 65?

Also, to anyone, how would you handle resists on a pet with high cold and poison?
I seem to recall there is a pet with 100 poison, if my old noodle is right, how does one handle that?

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UOLAPlayer, I do find the hybrid method as you call it, very interesting. But with 5 points left on the table, why not make one of the 60’s a 65?

Also, to anyone, how would you handle resists on a pet with high cold and poison?
I seem to recall there is a pet with 100 poison, if my old noodle is right, how does one handle that?
It's not a strong reason. I just didn't think the difference between 60 and 65 would be significant in cold or poison. I have a thread about Anniversary Horses around, and those are very tight on points(still a work in progress, so not the final word on it), so 5 resist is 15 points in your build. It's just a way to shave points from your build.

If you were to add 5 resist, which one would you add it to? My off the cuff thought would be poison, since I get poison damaged more than I get cold damaged. That kind of starts the circle turning again though. Why not shave 5 points somewhere and get 70 poison resist, for the cost of maybe dropping energy to 75? 80/80/60/70/75? Seems like the middle ground between the DJAd method and the hybrid method. Double Middle Ground method? o_O

I think the 3 methods of allocation(Pawain, DJAd, and hybrid) are good allocation methods, but it will come down to in game testing.

What are your thoughts on the community here developing a hunt list, to vet out theories with in game reports? What monsters would want on the list?

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Use the hunters guide or uo guide and look at the things you want to fight. The average player will find few difficult cold or poison damage mobs they want to fight.

That' where I am coming from.

You can make a pet for a specific mob.
First thing I made was a Melasande killer.
But I do not think the average of all the damage types is even. So even resists is not the best overall pet.
Psst. Please post your Melasande killer pet build, and char template, if you solo it. Can't have too much hair dye or crimson cinture. It might be a good way for people that don't want to do Champs to trade for scrolls.

Gardo

Journeyman
It can be recreated. I checked and it wasn't available on archive.org.

You could say, like people did in that thread, that it's personal preference, but I think that people can post some methods and talk about the differences.

The "Pawain" Method, you Max 4 and use remaining points (45 or less) in the last one (Cold or Poison). I say 45 or less, because as he pointed out Cu can overcap on Cold. Someone can probably mention other pets that have overcapped resists.

Pro: Max Resist in 4 Categories. Least damage taken in those choices. Fully utilizes the available resist training limit.
Con: Has low resist in the remaining category. (35 points below Max Resist)
Solutions: Use another pet when hunting something that does significant damage in that resist.
TBD: With a realistic sample of typical things tamers hunt, what happens when it is faced with its foe that damages in its low resist?

The "DJAd" Method, even out the resists with 75/80/70/70/70.

Pro: Never more than 10 points off max resist. Fully utilizes the available resist training limit.
Con: Only Max resist in one category.
TBD: Does being down 10 points ever cause the pet to die vs a pet with max resist in that category?

The hybrid method, Max 3, even out 2 (80/80/60/60/80)

Pro: Max Resist in categories that commonly give melee damage and spell damage. Saves 5 points of resist for tight builds.
Con: 20 points below max in 2 categories. Does not fully utilize the available resist training limit.
TBD: What is the additional damage taken in 2 below max categories and when will it be a barrier to success?

From what you said, "There’s no ‘one and only’ pet that does every bit of content in the game." Maybe there should be a list of trials of what a pet can kill and under what conditions (Tamer discords, vets, casts heal, or has L3 mastery running).
My list nominees to start with would be: Swoop, Navery
Maybe have a lesser pets challenge list also for 2 and 3 slot trained pets.
This might help people move it from discussion to game.
I love the discussions we have on these forums, including here with resists. Seeing what other people do helps me greater understand the game mechanics and become a better player. As I said, I’m no min/max’er and greatly appreciate the break-down and information I’m able to read about regarding different utilizations. So I’m all for posting about different methods and discussing the differences, I was just looking for that discussion in a separate, dedicated thread like this one. I really like your analysis of the different methods and the trial idea. As I said, I love being fed information....helps me visualize how it impacts my game play.

Anyone run 73/73/73/73/73 or as close as you can get on a CuSidhe? I have a couple low resist pups I want to start working on.... anyone have thoughts on this configuration?

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I go for 80/80/65/60/80. Physical/Fire/Energy are the three most common elements used in the game. I go for slightly higher Cold than Poison, because there are more higher end mobs that deal Cold damage, not to mention necro mobs that cast Wither, which requires me to stand back and G-Heal rather than vet. The Poison status can be quickly cured before it deals damage, and if i'm fighting something that deals Poison Damage and hits really hard, like the Putrifier when i'm farming Spleens for Paroxy runs, i simply use a Najasaurus to tank. Najasaurus has 100% Poison Resist.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Post #3 A Cu can have high cold a Naj has 100% poison. You either lower everything or put points in things you actually use.

Psst. Please post your Melasande killer pet build, and char template, if you solo it. Can't have too much hair dye or crimson cinture. It might be a good way for people that don't want to do Champs to trade for scrolls.
Ill go over what I did and do for specific targets. I looked up the stats on her:

upload_2018-6-23_22-36-4.png

First her resists are not too high on any particular thing. But, she has lowest in Fire and then Physical.

There happens to be an Equine that does 40% fire and 40% Phy 20% Energy. and Another that does 20% Phy, 80% Fire Those would work great.

I went with the lowest resist, Fire. I built a Platinum/Crimson Drake that does 100% fire. This was the first two weeks of the revamp. I did not know you should put Chivalry on everything yet.

Can you solo her? Yes, people did that before with Greater Dragons. Those are the players that announce she is about to drop spawn, because they know the time. Any 5 slot is better than a GD so Yes you can solo her, it just takes longer than with a group. Solo you just need to know when the spawn will come so you can prepare.

She does Phy and Energy damage. The Pawain method of resists will cover that damage with 80%.

So knowing what we know now we go back to our pets damage. Besides the Equines damage type, there are 2 pets that do 100% Fire damage. Theoretically those would be the best.

You can do the quest with any pet you want. A pet that is not mountable is not a burden when you have the ingredients to get in. You are right there by the tree.

The 100% Fire drake. I would now build one that has AI and chivalry. You can also add another special. Mine without Chiv just does not do as much damage.

The Fire Beetle also has 100% fire. AI/RC Poison. She does get poisoned.

Those two would theoretically be the best choices.

Then you have the two horses. A guy on LS solos her with an AI chiv Fire Steed.

So you have 4 pets that Match her resists quite well. 3 mountable.

Research your target, choose the most efficient set up and go KILL KILL KILL it!

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Now why I choose the resist spread I do for general purpose pets. Again, this is my opinion and everyone else is welcome to their own.

It is true most common damage types are physical, fire and energy. That doesnt mean that other types arent out there or you will not encounter them. To me general purpose pets are pets you do day to day stuff in, farming etc and can do things like peerless or even champ spawns without much issue.

Legacy pets cannot be reobtained. Many of mine have lasted through 18-19 years of content. They lasted through felucca, no bonding, server reverts and other various bugs and issues. I want them to be able to do as much content that they can. My nightmare was always my righthand man (even though she is female), and I love my wyrms and dragons.

So why 80/75/70/70/70? Because it doesn't have a real weakness. Any new content they put into the game for the next 20 years she could be prepared for. If they released a whole high cold resist/high cold damage dungeon, she's fine. And yet her other resists are high enough that dying is rarely an issue. When out with alliancemates, if things go wrong, it's their pets who usually die, not mine. You arent going to get a new mare for new content.

I tried a 80/80/55/75/75 spec over the fall on one of my legacies. The halloween skeletons (based off the Sir Patrick/etc bedlam spawns, 40% Physical/60% Cold) kicked her butt. I was actually surprised how much it was a determent to her. Too much effort. I ended up using Fire steed with 80/75/70/70/70 and it wasn't an issue at all, I could take on the 10 of them without a problem. Alot of undead has cold and poison damage.

"You could just use a CU/Naja"

If something is cold damage, they usually have high cold resists also. Potentially nerfing half a CU's damage. I'm about efficiency, the more I can afk after a fight waiting for timers or move on to the next thing, the happier I am. I like taking pets that bring damage, so the pets generally speaking, are CHIV pets of some spec or whatnot. The faster whatever is brought down the less damage your pet or possibly you will take. Why bring an poisoning armor ignore naja when you can bring a chiv/ai pet and have it killed in 3-3.5 minutes instead of 5.

There have been no encounters I bring my general spec'd pets to that they cannot do, and I do bring them for a majority of content. Examples of content I have taken general resist pets to that I have either soloed or duoed with another tamer: All peerless minus Paroxysmus (and man did i try~), all champion spawns, Doom (have duoed 2 simultaneously spawned dark fathers), Roof (including original Fiendish Calling AI on TC1), Zippy, Navrey, Sorc Dungeon (including paragon Nightmare fairy and room spawn), random dungeon content.

Group encounters: Corgul, Scalis, EM content (but most EM encounters I would bring a specialized pet to)

So again, I feel general pets resists are a personal choice, my pets my 80/75/70/70/70 have never died because they didnt have that 5% fire resist or they were lacking that 10% energy, but my other nonbalanced resist template pets they have died or were effectively stabled and useless because they didnt have the needed cold or poison resist.

Again I'm discussing general resist template pets, if I am building a pet for a specific purpose or encounter I think about how the encounter is designed and spec accordingly.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have cleaned this thread up. I understand that everyone is passionate about taming and wanting to help others which is awesome. The arguing back and forth and borderline attacks on each other is unacceptable and only hurts the community. I unfortunately had to remove another thread due to the same thing and the fact that a good portion of the main posts were edited out. Continuing this will result in warnings and thread bans from any thread where this is taking place. Lets get along and help the community. We have a lot of returning players that would really benefit from everyone's knowledge and experience. Differing opinions are not necessarily wrong, just differing.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the discussions we have on these forums, including here with resists. Seeing what other people do helps me greater understand the game mechanics and become a better player. As I said, I’m no min/max’er and greatly appreciate the break-down and information I’m able to read about regarding different utilizations. So I’m all for posting about different methods and discussing the differences, I was just looking for that discussion in a separate, dedicated thread like this one. I really like your analysis of the different methods and the trial idea. As I said, I love being fed information....helps me visualize how it impacts my game play.

Anyone run 73/73/73/73/73 or as close as you can get on a CuSidhe? I have a couple low resist pups I want to start working on.... anyone have thoughts on this configuration?
You could do that. 80x4 = 320 + 45 = 365 / 5 = 73. As long as the Cu wasn't over 73 in anything when you tamed it you'd get the perfect even spread.

I don't think it's a game reason, not to. I just think in increments of 5, in terms of the resists, so that would give you more or less about 75 across the board. I would try that.

The "Perfect Even Spread" method?
Pros: Not weak in any resist. Only 7 points off Max.
Cons: Not Max in any resist.
Solutions: Cast an extra heal, if ever needed.
TBD: In hunting situations, do you accumulate significant extra damage (rate and amount)?

So far, I think, my choice would be to use this or 80/80/60/65/80(hybrid method) on a pre-patch, and this or Pawain method on everyday stable pets. Although probably still the hybrid method since it's been working for me.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Next pet I’m going to try 75/75/70/70/75.

Cons: None are maxed.
Pros: 3 most common are only 5 away from max and the 2 less common are only 10 off max.

Similar to going all 73 with a little extra preference to the 3 most common.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’m planning to make 2 fire beetles as similar as possible, but resists.
One will have (my personal favorite) 80,75,70,70,70 and another with 80,80,60,65,80.
But now Southpaw comes in with 75,75,70,70,75, which looks decent as well. I have time to decide, as I’m waiting for the 2nd fire beetle to bond. So we’ll see which one I try.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All my pets have either 73/73/73/73/73 or 80/75/70/70/70 or 77/72/72/72/72 or 75/75/70/70/75

Save one lesser hiryru that is 80/80/45/80/80. And one cu sidhe also does not
have 70's or above in all resists.

Have fun with those pets and they do great, but would only take them out if I did the research before hand that
my target and any side spawn had zero damage on the resists they lacked in. That often does not match up
with the damage type/magics/specials/abilities/area effects it has.

More often than not, I just take out a pet that is all 70's minimum depending on the damage the pet does
to the target.

I die sometimes, the pet, very rarely does. Don't have the gold for scrolls to make a single pet for a specific encounter based
on its resists and its damage/skill type. Nor the time to train them all.

In summation, if you are a casual to avid, but not full time gamer, I recommend getting even(ish) resist spreads and then
make differing pets depending on the damage type/magics/specials/abilities/area effects you want it to do.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In summation, if you are a casual to avid, but not full time gamer, I recommend getting even(ish) resist spreads and then
That's sounds good except the casual player may never see things that do 1 or 2 of the damage types. A player who only has time for limited mobs is the player who should leave the resists they will never use, low, and raise the others to 80.

Somebody who plays all day and goes from mob to mob, hunt to hunt without changing pets is the one that would benefit from balanced resists.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then they log in to help their friend on their cu with 45 poison resist and chiv/ai surrounded by high poison
damage creatures of differing types.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then they log in to help their friend on their cu with 45 poison resist and chiv/ai surrounded by high poison
damage creatures of differing types.
Where is that?

Najs are 100 % poison resist and kill things just fine.

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe this is where people can start talking about a hunt list, for in game testing. I think we all agree that discord and rune corruption work by reducing resists and speed significant fights. (Not wanting to divert on what else discord does or if it's player or pet. The point being, reducing resists is detrimental).

I'm sure most of you have been around long enough to remember before imbuing and artifact loot, back when you had to put together an "All 70's" suit from what would be "junk" today. So you probably remember when you were working on it and had a suit that was mostly all 70's but had a low resist. If your experience was like mine, it didn't cause you to die horribly constantly, but you wanted to finish getting all 70's because it was better.

Anyway, my point is let's agree on some solo hunts that will test the different resist strategies. I know I'm in the hybrid camp, but still haven't been strongly sold on where the 60 and 65 should go. Is the even split method valid, sure. Is the Pawain method valid, sure. So rather than create some strawman arguments or false cases that don't exist or use the fear of an unlikely future to make a low credibility case, could we all throw in suggestions for a solo hunt list for both lesser (2 and 3 slot) and greater (4 and 5 slot) pets?

This would help also serve as a check list for when testing out new builds, so the entire community, without regard to their resist method preference would benefit.

My nominees are:

Lesser Pet Solo Hunt Checklist: Swoop, Paragon Nightmare

Greater Pet Solo Hunt Checklist: Navery

For consideration, but I haven't succeeded with a solo kill yet, Fennick the Ogre Cook. Also, I would consider a solo of the entire Barracoon Champ spawn from start to finish of getting scrolls, but I think this would be more of a test of build strategies (for purpose of use) than resists.

I'm trying to pick stuff you can easily get to and don't have any involved setup so anyone can test to vet their method and verify other's reports.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Named Balrons in chaos are good for Fame Karma and when you get a paragon, you can test how well your pet damages. The last % of their life when they start invising and healing they will show you the difference between a 100 scroll and a 120.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While skilling my pet on slugs I found this interesting web page:

Hunting: Damage Types of Popular Monsters | uo-cah.com

Looks like my Cu method and Pawain™ resist* method are extremely general purpose for things that that more than 4 minutes to kill.

Cu:
upload_2018-7-16_18-53-1.png

Things that have all <50 start resists:

upload_2018-7-16_18-57-17.png

Ignore the all 20% mobs because any full resist setup will have the same result.

Notice how many of those follow what we have said for over a year.

1 Physical
2 Fire
3 Energy
4 Poison
5 Cold

There are 2 Mobs there that do cold damage. Corgul the Soul Binder and Scalis.

Scalis is something shards do as community hunts. So you should make a pet for that. Oh wait.... all my Cus fit it!!

How many players do Corgul often? It is something you should do at least once. You get to ride in a boat and find a mysterious island that sinks when the leader leaves. You can make a specific Corgul killer out of any pet because his resists are high in everything. Just make a pet with 80 cold and 80 poison and the rest equal.

For the 3 Mobs that do poison damage:

My Non Cu setup works just fine. 80% in the damage.

Dragon turtle. Take Anything except a Cu with the Pawain method.. (on LS there will be 3/4 Cus there...We do it a lot) Also dont take a Naj to DT.

Mephitis. Go to another spawn yuk Also Semidar unles females are the spawners. But if you choose to do those any other pet with the Pawain method works. Not a Naj again.

Dread Horn. I now take my Naj since only Merbee has to go past the slow sand and the changelings. But any pet with the Pawain method works.

In case this page mysteriously disappears, I made a copy.

This leads to an important point.

I have a bunch of Hiryus that could use extra points. This could also apply to other low point pets. Rams, Tsuki Wolf, Skree, Dread Spiders if their resists can do this:

upload_2018-7-16_19-39-28.png

I can make my Hiryus like this and save those points and put them into HP and/or HP regen.
I just should not take them to the 20% damagers or the 5 things above. But they are fine with everything else.

*Pawain Method™ is a Registered Trademark of Pawain Pet Interprises LLC.

upload_2018-7-16_19-50-53.png Trust the Method!

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The page won't disappear, it's there for informational purposes. It was one of our first pages, so it may change in the future, but we are very transparent about our testing, we don't hide facts to skew results in our favor. That information is available elsewhere as well, we just aggregated it into a single view. The list also isn't inclusive of every mob in the game. As we've said many times before, just about every undead in the game does Cold or Poison damage (or both).

I actually agree that a CU is a perfect pet for Scalis, resist-wise. I personally choose to bring an RC/Disco beetle instead, for the support value.

You shouldn't bring a Naja to Dread Horn. You are now attacking it's highest resist type with half your damage. It's not hard to keep a pet alive at Dread Horn.

If you want to actually invite meaningful discussions on a topic, you have to leave your bias at the door and look at the topic from all sides. You, as well as some others, are extremely biased in resist spreads and are unwilling to even consider any other resist template. Honestly though, that's your choice and it's fine if that's what you do, but it doesn't bring much to a discussion if you aren't willing to look at other sides. If you want to make your new pets completely ignoring cold/poison resist, go for it, but seems like a mistake to me.

It's kind of funny that some of you are so threatened by the mere mention of 80/75/70/70/70. I challenge you to make a pet with this resist spread and try encounters with it. If you cannot do an encounter, I'd love to know which ones, and then I would love to tag along to watch the encounter, or have you upload a video of it to see what's going wrong.

The next calculator we will be releasing on our website is an effective damage calculator, that shows how much damage your pet will be taking based on resists and a creatures damage spread. We've already done spreadsheet math on it, and I think many will find it eye opening how little difference 75 vs 80 fire makes, or even 70 vs 80 energy.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's kind of funny that some of you are so threatened by the mere mention of 80/75/70/70/70.
Nope I feel sorry for those poor pets.

You know I Like your info and calculators a lot. My Archer tamer is working great! Thanks

I think many will find it eye opening how little difference 75 vs 80 fire makes, or even 70 vs 80 energy.
Kinda like the diff with my Naj on Dread :)

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Just finished training my Tsuki Wolf. Set resists to 75/75/70/70/75 for the first time. So far he's doing great. No complaints.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You, as well as some others, are extremely biased in resist spreads and are unwilling to even consider any other resist template.
I was around for the announcement of the pet revamp and the installment on Test Center.

I researched what mobs have what resists and what damages. Sorry I came up with a resist template that fits 95% of the game. Then my Cus fit 4% more. My pets aren't afraid of ghosts.

I have all pet types. I also like to take odd pets to encounters. They are all prepared because of a good resist setting. Other than mine, I think the second best is 80 80 60 65 80.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I was around for the announcement of the pet revamp and the installment on Test Center.

I researched what mobs have what resists and what damages. Sorry I came up with a resist template that fits 95% of the game. Then my Cus fit 4% more. My pets aren't afraid of ghosts.

I have all pet types. I also like to take odd pets to encounters. They are all prepared because of a good resist setting. Other than mine, I think the second best is 80 80 60 65 80.
I think this is the first time you have actually explained the choice behind your resist spread (at least recently), and not just poo-poo'd on other spreads... I appreciate that!

Resists are highly personal as this thread (and others) have shown. Maybe we need to make new PvP factions based on resist spread and have giant battles.

You know I Like your info and calculators a lot. My Archer tamer is working great! Thanks
Thanks for the feedback, I am glad it is working out for you.

Despite how heated we may get in some threads, our end goal is just to help people.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Resists are highly personal as this thread (and others) have shown. Maybe we need to make new PvP factions based on resist spread and have giant battles.
I dont PvP so I would not do well there. I do not have quick enough reflexes to be good at that. But we used to have pet fights once a month on LS until our EM went poof. Those were a pet type chosen by the winner of the previous fight. That would be fun to do on TC some day among the posters and any others here. They usually ended very fast and depended on whether a discord went off or a pet happened to hit WoD at th right time. But they were fun.

our end goal is just to help people.
Help them and try to get them fighting things that are fun!

I've been contemplating making a thread about my archer. I think others would find it a fun second template. With input from players who know the mechanics and math that can help them with their specific suit and stats.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I researched what mobs have what resists and what damages.
The monster damage type list and most likely also your research only lists monster's melee damage. Spelldamage and specials are completely left out but should be factored in. I believe this is why Khaelor runs with evened out resists (I also do) on all purpose pets.
That list, while giving you a great overview of melee damage dealt can be misleading.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The monster damage type list and most likely also your research only lists monster's melee damage. Spelldamage and specials are completely left out but should be factored in. I believe this is why Khaelor runs with evened out resists (I also do) on all purpose pets.
That list, while giving you a great overview of melee damage dealt can be misleading.
Yeah, we were originally going to take down that list, just because the page was incomplete and doesn't give the full info, which can include: accompanying spawns, specials and magic damage. However, our guild uses the page for quick reference so we left it up. As Pawain was so kind to link the page, we have edited the information slightly since a revised page needs to be done.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, we were originally going to take down that list, just because the page was incomplete and doesn't give the full info, which can include: accompanying spawns, specials and magic damage. However, our guild uses the page for quick reference so we left it up. As Pawain was so kind to link the page, we have edited the information slightly since a revised page needs to be done.
Not criticising you at all, I have actually used that list also every now and then. Just wanted to point out to Pawain that this is only part of the damage dealt by monsters.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds good I'll be looking for that update.

Also would like to find the mob that does both cold and poison damage with spells. I have 80 in one of those with a cu or lesser at all times. I can decide which to take.

My pets have never had a problem with accessory abities. My toon does. Semidar does something that makes my archer take 70 damage with every arrow. That spider that pulls me in constantly is a pain.

I have a question for my toon. I am thinking of expanding this with refinements. Which are the more common spell damage between cold and poison? I use protection so actual poison is not the problem.

Can I knock my dci down 10 to get 80 fire resist and then back up to have 75 cold and poison?

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The significant Magic Casting Damage is going to be Fire (Flamestrike) and Energy (Explosion, Ebolt).

UOLAPlayer

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds good I'll be looking for that update.

Also would like to find the mob that does both cold and poison damage with spells. I have 80 in one of those with a cu or lesser at all times. I can decide which to take.

My pets have never had a problem with accessory abities. My toon does. Semidar does something that makes my archer take 70 damage with every arrow. That spider that pulls me in constantly is a pain.

I have a question for my toon. I am thinking of expanding this with refinements. Which are the more common spell damage between cold and poison? I use protection so actual poison is not the problem.

Can I knock my dci down 10 to get 80 fire resist and then back up to have 75 cold and poison?
You might want to verify, but I think refinements will overwrite the previous refinement, rather than be additive, by part.

So you could get a 75 Fire/80 Energy suit for an elf, at the cost of 10 off of your max possible DCI. You'd be at 35 DCI possible with 5 pieces of armor with refinements (of +1 Max Fire Resist and +1 Max Energy Resist) on them.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well darn, I thought some refinements were stronger and you could get +5 resist on a piece and -5 DCI.

Thanks I need to read more about them.