• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Resisting Spells

G

Can anyone give me some hints on how to raise Resisting Spells?

I haven't played in probably 4 years. I was always a pretty casual player, but I remember I got to the point that killing Daemons and Liches was fairly easy. Last week I got the itch to start up again. I expected I might be a bit rusty, but I've been getting my tail spanked by about anything that casts spells. Liches and Daemons seem far out of my league. They cast 3-4 spells and I'm toast before I even know what happened, so I'm guessing Resisting Spells is pretty much a required skill?

Below is my current skill set. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fishing 100
Archery 90.6
Anatomy 88.3
Tactics 92.1
Resist 38.3
Healing 43.2
Magery 75.9
Eval Int 50.9
Meditation 80.5

-Yraapt

G

Resisting spells isn't quite the same as it used to be, simply to reduce the effects of said spells. Well, it still does that, but not to the same extent as it did before. These days it won't be the only reason that a LL or dragon is toasting you if you don't have it

The other thing to look at is the resists of your suit. If these are moderate-low, so 40's or lower, then you will be toast. In order to be half decent at PvM, you'll need at least mid 50's in the key resists (physical, fire, cold and energy - poison isn't quite so necessary, but still a good idea to have). Look to improve your suit's overall resists.

In order to gain resisting spells quickly and effectively, you'll need to find creatures that love to use debuff spells (curse, feeblemind, weaken, etc.). These perform checks against your resisting spells skill level, and as such every time you have a chance to gain, unlike with pure offensive spells, which just have a lessened effect depending on skill. Spectral spellbinders in New/Old Haven are great for this - nine of those casting on you at once will GM you in less than a few hours, as they only use buff/debuff spells. Sea serpents are alright at lower skill too, but aren't as good as the spellbinders. Just make sure you equip a bow, and leave the arrows at home - then you can't kill them, and that you have a decent form of healing.

Hope this helps a little

J

joblackjon

You might also want to consider focusing your template...right now it's a mage, archer, healer, fisherman. That's going to get very crowded. Use Soulstones to transfer skills to another char.

There's a very thorough Resist gain guide at the top of the Mage forum.

G

Thanks for the advice guys!

I managed to find the spectral spellbinders last night and get a couple gains, but had to log before I could make much progress. The Haven quest sounds good and I'll look into soulstones. (never heard of those, but sounds like a way to store a skill, so you don't have to go through gaining it all over again?)

G

Just read the FAQ on Soulstones. I definitely need to work on finding one of those things!! lol

G

First the Resist gains in Haven will not be accelerated unless you accept the quest. And once at 50 or better, go back to the trainer for a reward from them. Some are quite useful ... see the Haven Guide up above.

Second - soulstones and fragments. Frags are gonna be your best bet at present. At 1-year anniversary of your account you will be able to get a full soulstone (red). Also, remember that TOKENS only are the way to obtain one ... it locks to the account once used. Anything else is pure deco.

I don't think you mentioned what shard you're on ... but check your shard Forum and the shard trade forum. You may be able to get what you need that way as well.

C

Cat Crimson

Vraapt, what shard are you on ? I might have some unused fragment tokens on characters on a couple of shards that you can have ( as in just have not buy ! ). Don't get too excited though in case I don't, LOL.

G

Actually I just upgraded my account to include Mondain's Legacy (and all previous expansion) and I got a Red Soulstone as a 1 year reward.

Thanks for the help guys

J

joblackjon

Just to reiterate...

All Soul Stones are bound to a single account. 2 accounts cannot use the same Stone. The account that 2-clicks the token, owns it!

Soul Stones have unlimited uses, 1 per day, but can only be transferred as a token...never buy the Stone itself, you won't be able to use it! Buy only the token.

Soul Stone Fragments are limited to only 5 uses then poof. Buy only as a token.

On Baja full Soul Stones sell for 6-7 mil and Fragments for about 300-350k...big difference!

G

Welcome back! And I love the maps on your site ... best damn things since the original cloth one in U1 20+ years ago!

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your a mage you can just stand there and cast Weaken on yourself repeatedly and gain all the way to Legendary in Magic Resist. Kinda boring, but safe and convenient when the other popular gain locations are taken - or griefers in New Haven are running around killing the spellbinders so people can't use them.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resist training all the way too 120 if needed on Old Havens Spellbinders. Just take 5-6 at ones at you without fighting back. Just keep walking infront of the group while they keep casting at you. Just keep healing yourself and you will hit the skill cap in no time.

I

imported_Spiritless

There's a very easy way to get up to legendary resist if you so desire. Just continually cast "weaken" on yourself until cap is reached. Having high MR, 100% LRC and 40% LMC is an advantage. Don't bother attempting to get to that level while fighting things. It'd take you, literally, years.

C

Cat Crimson

Glad you got yourself sorted out there, vraapt ! I checked all the accounts and I don't have much on LS anyway
just a couple of odd starting characters I never did anything with.

Another one here who loves Hawkeye's stories