• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Requiem

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I have been playing on Requiem for over a month now and I just wanted to post here to make more players aware of this awesome shard. The full details of the shard can be found here:

Requiem

I also wanted to share some of my thoughts on it.

A few people I have invited to play here get immediately discouraged by the fact that in order to play you must apply for a character. I find this requirement to be fair in that they want people to understand their character. Being an RP shard, the character is very important to the overall story, so it is important that the player has a good idea of who their character is and what they would do in any given situation. I am also willing to bet that the application process weeds out a lot of potential griefers. Honestly though, the approval process of applications isn't incredibly strict and anyone willing to put forth some effort and thought will be able to get a character.

Another thing that tends to immediately turn people off is the open PvP and permadeath systems. The open PvP is unique in that everyone is always grey, so you are freely attackable anywhere you are. In all honesty though, I haven't witnessed a whole lot of PvP at all. There are a few times I have read about a player being attacked by another player but pretty much every time there is a RP reason behind it. I imagine that as the shard progresses, factions will fight with each other and more conflict will arise and PvP will be much more prevalent. As far as permadeath goes, it's much more rare. I myself lost a character in my first week or two of playing but for those who know me, you shouldn't be surprised. I deserved it. I was ok with it. I was not disappointed. If you are afraid of being killed permanently, my suggestion is to not do anything to get you killed permanently. If you are friendly and don't get involved with the wrong people, your chances of being permanently killed are almost nothing.

My favorite thing about Requiem is that actions have consequences. I like Siege Perilous for the same reason. People know people, and people talk. You can be anyone who you want to be, but who you are comes with a price. No matter who you are or what you do, you have the chance to affect the entire shard in a big way. I personally like to do a bit of lumberjacking which you wouldn't think to be a job that comes with a ton of prestige, yet people seek me out daily to try to buy logs from me. People tell their friends that I often have logs for sale and their friends will stop me to make orders as well. It really does a great job of making you feel like your character is important in the world, no matter who you are. It also brings back some of that nostalgia from my early days of UO when I mined for hours every day to sell ingots to the blacksmiths who sat at the forge and fulfilled player's orders on request.

I don't really want to write a book about it, so I'll wrap it up now. If you enjoy UO and you enjoy role-playing, I strongly recommend that you give Requiem a chance. If you want a group to hang out with, let me know and I would be happy to attempt to include you. The shard has been so much fun for me and a few people I know. The staff is awesome. The mechanics are sound (aside from the occasional bug, which are usually fixed promptly). The players are quite friendly and mature. The shard is still in beta but I don't expect it to be for long, there will not be a wipe after beta so if you are at all interested, now is a great time to get your foot in the door.