• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reputation question

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been plagued by a lot of small orders, even though I complete hundreds of quests. I finally have a theory, and ask your opinion.

I never turn in an order to a fish monger if I have another outgoing order pending. However I do carry many orders at a time. My theory is this: When turning in two complete orders at once to a fish monger, you get two quest complete musical chimes, and get an offer for another quest. I think it is possible that the first crate turned in generates the offer of the quest. However, that quest, though unaccepted may interfere as an incomplete quest when the second crate is credited. I know that not having clicked on "accept" means that a quest was not pending when the second crate was credited, but my suspicions are that it reduces your reputation when you have not accepted the offered quest yet when the second delivery is made.

So my question is this.... If you have two crates in your hold for Trinsic and you go to deliver them, is it possible to deliver one at a time? Should I leave one crate just short of fish, complete the first transaction, turn down the quest offer, put the remaining fish in the second crate, complete the second transaction and accept the new quest offer?

BluDjinn

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ahh...Grasshopper ( Doubleplay )

Why are the mountains so tall and the seas so deep?
Why are some men good and others evil?
Why do the fishmongers act as they do?

you must first find the answers to these questions, and only then,
can you know the true meaning of life!

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Forgive me, Master. Truth eludes me since eating the zombie fish steaks. Life is slower too.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I THINK that the issue with the small quests when you shouldn't be getting any might be that the calculation is improperly counting the rare fish types in with the dungeon types - thereby keeping the chances of not getting 1 & 2 line quests (which should be near zero) running closer to 50%.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for your opinion, Basara. I am at 120 fishing now, so the issue is almost moot for me, but for the last month or so I ran on almost all 2 fish orders and was curious.

J

Jonah-Fla

The question still did not get answered that I know of.

Example:

I have a 1 part given at britain and a 4 part given at vespar both going to the floating dock.

When I turn in the 1 part and the floating dock asks to give me a new quest and I refuse, does it hurt my rep.

I was given a 6 part quest at Pap and when I went back to to deliver a 1 part given at another spot, pap gave me a 2 part quest.

What advantage is it to do all 8 .

It seems the original quest giver should keep track of their order being delivered and offer another big part

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's been answered repeatedly - turning down a quest doesn't hurt - only ABORTING one that you already have in your hold does.

The rest of your material is simply answered with 3 words: Random Number Generator.

(i.e. the RNG sucks, and often gives you a worse quest than before, though recent changes might be fixing that slowly).

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The question was, whether it was possible that an offered quest, not yet accepted (the first chime during a two crate order) was acting like an undelivered quest when the second crate was credited and no quest was offered because the unaccepted quest was on display and not accepted from the first crate. Apologies if this is too confusing.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unless I am missing something here, you are working on a misapprehension. You can get one quest from each of the eight fisherman. If you don't currently have a quest from the fisherman you are handing quest(s) into, you will be offered one. But you don't get offered a quest by him just because you are handing in a quest from another fisherman.

Basara is also saying that the reason you get one/two/three line orders is entirely down to the RNG. Having a high reputation with the fisherman means that you CAN, and often do, get five/six line orders. But you can still get the smaller ones as well.

Doubleplay

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK, trying one last time (perhaps I am dense and apologize if so):

On my travels, I obtain a couple of orders for delivery to lets say Trinsic. I fill both crates with fish. I have no outstanding delivery orders originating in Trinsic. I click on the fishmonger in Trinsic with my two filled crates in the hold. I am assuming that the program recognizes the crates one at a time, albeit very fast. Now when the first crate is recognized, I get an award and an offer for a delivery originating in Trinsic. This gump is displayed on the screen. But before I even see the gump, the delivery of the second crate is acknowledged and an award given. My question remains, if you have the gump up offering a delivery order, and have not yet accepted it, is there a chance that you are losing reputation unknowingly when the second crate is processed? I just got to wondering if I was in fact losing rep. by the size of subsequent orders. Since I started delivering only one order at a time, the rng has been the only thing affecting the size of the orders, and that has been a much better experience than when I was occasionally delivering more than one crate at a time.

Hoffs

Gilfane Keeper of the Hall
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why WOULD you lose reputation? You do not lose any for declining an offered quest anyway. And it is very dangerous to jump to statistical conclusions, as people do all the time in Ultima from very little raw data. You would have to do many tens of tests and properly record them to be sure that things were indeed better when you hand in only one quest at a time.