• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reptalon Loot

• Thread starter Connor_Graham
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
C

Connor_Graham

Why is it that one of the toughest creatures around, one that very few can take on solo, has mongbat type loot? They have 1500-1800gp on them, yet the actual loot itself is some of the worst I've seen, and has mods that are similar to what you'd expect to find on Mongbats. One of the ones I just killed had a diamond mace with this:

Spell Channeling
FC -1
Orc Slayer
Damage Increase 1% (not a typo)

What's wrong with this picture? This is very typical of loot found on them.

The other tough creatures all got a loot boost to match their difficulty, so how about giving the Reptalons some love in the loot department too huh?

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

Why is it that one of the toughest creatures around, one that very few can take on solo, has mongbat type loot? They have 1500-1800gp on them, yet the actual loot itself is some of the worst I've seen, and has mods that are similar to what you'd expect to find on Mongbats.

The other tough creatures all got a loot boost to match their difficulty, so how about giving the Reptalons some love in the loot department too huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, reptalons are not the toughest creatures around... unless you are trying to solo the thing with a dexer. They are easy with a tamer (and the greater dragon isn't the best tame to use), easy with a bard and discord, and not too hard with my spellweaver. But my macer or fencer gets chewed into many tiny little pieces.

That said, the loot is pretty pathetic. For some reason, the gold amount is just fine but the non-gold loot is awful and not worth killing the reptalon for all the trouble. The miasma gives better loot comparatively.

I think there should be a loot revamp for ALL creatures in UO, not just the reptalon.

C

Connor_Graham

"First of all, reptalons are not the toughest creatures around... unless you are trying to solo the thing with a dexer."

Cygnas meet Connor Graham....Dexxer.....

"For some reason, the gold amount is just fine but the non-gold loot is awful and not worth killing the reptalon for all the trouble."

Exactly my point. Even when you skin them you only get 10 plain leather. That's another thing that probably needs a look at. A Lesser Hiryu gives 60 or so leather, and they're easy compared to a Reptalon.

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

"First of all, reptalons are not the toughest creatures around... unless you are trying to solo the thing with a dexer."

Cygnas meet Connor Graham....Dexxer.....

"For some reason, the gold amount is just fine but the non-gold loot is awful and not worth killing the reptalon for all the trouble."

Exactly my point. Even when you skin them you only get 10 plain leather. That's another thing that probably needs a look at. A Lesser Hiryu gives 60 or so leather, and they're easy compared to a Reptalon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya... I've read most of your dexer posts for advice on my necro/dexer. Thank you for that, by the way. Just saying, there ARE other ways to kill a rept without getting handed your man-parts. LOL

I never understood why a lesser gave so much leather, when others gave so little... but don't change lessers to 10!!

C

Connor_Graham

Connor is going through another change in his template so you might want to pop over to the Samurai forum again. That's what I was doing with the Reptalons this morning, trying to build some skill points up. They're not too hard unless they happen to come from the other side of the bridge. When they come around they normally fall off the bridge, causing damage to themselves so you can't honor them.

That's when life gets interesting.

C

Cygnas

Go hide for about two minutes and they usually regain their hit points. Then you can honor them... but by the time you find that out, it's usually too late to hide! LOL

B

BadManiac

So even WILD Reptalons are bugged? This is awesome

This is not just a problem with Reptalons tho, is i really? Why would a peerless boxx have a ring with nothing but +3 dex as loot for example? Why would you get a &lt;10 resist piece of armor from a paragon ancient wyrm?

Loot quantity needs to be lowered substantially across the board, and quality insted increased. And since they destroyed Bags of Sending, hunting for gold is also pointless, so gold loot is no longer an issue. wether something has 8 gold or 8000 gold doesn't matter since noone's going to be looting gold. (except in Doom, for buying ammo) None of my chars can even carry enough gold to cover insurance costs of one death so what the heck is the point of gold loot?

C

Connor_Graham

"wether something has 8 gold or 8000 gold doesn't matter since noone's going to be looting gold"

I loot the gold from everything I kill. You don't need a BoS.

I

imported_Farsight

As do I. I don't have the years of gold hoarding behind me to allow a few thousand gold to go away.

And I agree with the original post completely, except that reptalons aren't the only things that need their loot looked at. It really sucks when fighting high end creatures to have to sort through many items to find it's all junk.

I think the named creatures, high end non-named mobs and peerless should all carry fewer things with a higher chance of mid to high end drops.

Though, on the other hand of the same coin, I've been buying a lot of player crafted things lately with the gold I've looted from Miasmas, reptalons, Irk, Silk and master mages.

B

BadManiac

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Ok, a high end monster has 1500 gold on it, a character can at maximum carry 15000, plus all the required equipment. So you kill 10 monsters, then run to the bank? Does this not get tedious?

When I'm hunting I like to actually, you know, hunt. Since I enjoy the actual hunt itself, for the challenge, I basically stopped looting altogether since the BoS change, since there's never any good items, and gold weighs too much to BoS.

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]Ok, a high end monster has 1500 gold on it, a character can at maximum carry 15000, plus all the required equipment. So you kill 10 monsters, then run to the bank? Does this not get tedious?

When I'm hunting I like to actually, you know, hunt. Since I enjoy the actual hunt itself, for the challenge, I basically stopped looting altogether since the BoS change, since there's never any good items, and gold weighs too much to BoS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lot all the gold and do quite well. The bag of sending change really has had very little affect to my play. Sure, there are some places you can't recall into and out of, but that mostly affects collecting barbed leather in my case, not the gold drop. It takes me less than one minute to recall to the bank, deposit, and maybe another minute or two to get back to wherever I was before... so I admit it's not as convenient as with the old BOS, but it really isn't THAT inconvenient that it affected my play style at all.

By the way, I love other people who think like you do, but are courteous enough to drop the gold on the ground for other people! Thanks!

C

Connor_Graham

"So you kill 10 monsters, then run to the bank?"

Depends on where I am, but usually no I don't. The method on how/what to do is in the sticky at the top of the page.

B

BadManiac

<blockquote><hr>

The method on how/what to do is in the sticky at the top of the page.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes indeed it is, basically cheat/exploit to replace BoS. Great! Know what I think I'll stick to hunting without looting. At least I get to have fun and play the game my way then. Without "commercial breaks" every few minutes.
However as pointed out, I'm going to start dropping the gold next to the corpses if others are around.

But hey, I hijacked this quite enough, back on topic. In my sig there's a link to my writeup of what's wrong in UO, it has a solution to this loot problem. But it's a complex problem to solve, they can't just increase the loot on tougher creatures, it'll affect other game systems like crafting, and increasing gold ammounts is the exact opposite of what they tried to achieve with the recent BoS changes.

The solution is to take UO back to the drawingboard, unify all systems to one single line of thinking, and rebalance everything from the ground up. rebalance skillgain, loot, crafting, everything. It's a big task. Until then we'll have to live with Reptalons and Paragon AW's having nothing but junk.

C

Cygnas

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

The method on how/what to do is in the sticky at the top of the page.

[/ QUOTE ]Yes indeed it is, basically cheat/exploit to replace BoS. Great! Know what I think I'll stick to hunting without looting. At least I get to have fun and play the game my way then. Without "commercial breaks" every few minutes.
However as pointed out, I'm going to start dropping the gold next to the corpses if others are around.

But hey, I hijacked this quite enough, back on topic. In my sig there's a link to my writeup of what's wrong in UO, it has a solution to this loot problem. But it's a complex problem to solve, they can't just increase the loot on tougher creatures, it'll affect other game systems like crafting, and increasing gold ammounts is the exact opposite of what they tried to achieve with the recent BoS changes.

The solution is to take UO back to the drawingboard, unify all systems to one single line of thinking, and rebalance everything from the ground up. rebalance skillgain, loot, crafting, everything. It's a big task. Until then we'll have to live with Reptalons and Paragon AW's having nothing but junk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If all you are after is gold, try riding a bonded blue beetle and putting the gold on that. It's pretty easy to run 30K or more gold in and out of almost anywhere... I can carry 18K on my dexxer alone, not to mention 500 stones of gold on the beetle before she gets fatigued.

NOW... back to the original topic....

I think the gold amount drops are pretty consistent now and finally. But the quantity and quality of other loot needs to be reworked. However, what I really really hate about the loot drops is that the type of armor is random. What I mean by that:
1) Undead ONLY should drop bone armor. Armor and weapon types should be specific to specific classes of monsters. Bows should be found only on monsters that use bows... e.g. Juka Lords and ratmen archers. But then, we need to fix the differences between armor types first.

2) Certain magic casting creatures ONLY should drop rings, bracelets and wands... like pixies and red mages. Right now, reagents get a boost for certain mage type monsters. I hunt liches and liche lords for necro reagents.

3) Trolls should drop HP regen items, mages drop mana regen, and repond type drop stamina regen.

There are many ideas like this, but the point is to give a reason to hunt specific monsters for specific loot, rather than farming lich lords and hoping for a good drop of anything.

What suggestions do you have?

C

Connor_Graham

1) Undead ONLY should drop bone armor. Armor and weapon types should be specific to specific classes of monsters. Bows should be found only on monsters that use bows... e.g. Juka Lords and ratmen archers. But then, we need to fix the differences between armor types first.

2) Certain magic casting creatures ONLY should drop rings, bracelets and wands... like pixies and red mages. Right now, reagents get a boost for certain mage type monsters. I hunt liches and liche lords for necro reagents.

3) Trolls should drop HP regen items, mages drop mana regen, and repond type drop stamina regen.

I agree. This would have people out at every corner of the world killing for what they need, instead of picking one thing and never moving except to take gold to the bank or repair.

G

Speaking of terrible loot, how about that Bone Demon?!? I've never seen a decent item on him, EVER!

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Speaking of terrible loot, how about that Bone Demon?!? I've never seen a decent item on him, EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually gotten several very nice pieces from the Bone Daemons.

G

It's my opinion that reptalons in general and in every way are just bugged... they are not as strong as they could/should be... as a pet.... they are strong to fight yet weak as a pet.... their loot is no way near in line with their difficulty.... making them somewhat of a lowly creature... not worthy of taming or hunting. In my opinion.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

They are easy with a tamer

[/ QUOTE ]

Pffft. Name something that isn't easier on a tamer.

NERF TAMERS!

Nah, just kidding. I don't want to see my own tamers nerfed, but I would like to see some love for dexxers. As it stands, I can do as well on my dexxers as I do on my tamers, but with much more concentration. I can be half asleep and kill stuff on my tamers, but do that on a dexxer and you'll be taking a dirt nap.

Don't get me started on how much harder it is to build a suit for a dexxer too. Oy.

Derail. My bad.

If you ask me, loot everywhere is crap. Every now and again you'll find something decent from a strongbox, a peerless, or a doom boss, but that's it. The only reason to hunt everything else in game is for gold and the adventure of it.

I have yet to see this "loot bump" they gave higher end creatures. It's still very much all crap. Unless your talking about said peerless and the like.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Loot quantity needs to be lowered substantially across the board, and quality insted increased.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

I'm sick of digging through crap, to find more crap. Lessen the amount of crap. Even if its ONE item, give it a chance to be something usefull.

<blockquote><hr>

doesn't matter since noone's going to be looting gold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not word.

You can loot a lot of gold if you know what your doing.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

There are many ideas like this, but the point is to give a reason to hunt specific monsters for specific loot, rather than farming lich lords and hoping for a good drop of anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really really like your idea here.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have also had the idea for a few years now, that would take an entire thread of it's own, and would hurt my fingers to type it all out in a well thought out way; So I'll make it quick and brief here because I would think the dev's are smart enough to get the gist of it:

All high end loot should be craftable. Arties, good armor, weapons, etc. This would/could also be the only way to get high end loot.

Creatures would drop ingredients. Different creatures would drop different ingredients. Not just peerless like we have now. A crafter could make weaps, jewels, armor with a CUSTOMIZABLE crafting interface, to be able to put the mods you want on it. NO MORE RANDOM # GENERATOR.

Different ingredients would give different properties. More properties would use more ingredients, and have a higher chance to fail, thus using up more ingredients.

All creatures, even mongbats would drop these different types of ingredients.

Artifacts, including the ones from Doom, would be craftable. Take away artifacts completely, as one could craft the same piece anyway, or something even better than a Doom arty. (Even an orny...tinkers 4tw). Doom creatures could then drop specific types of ingredients that would be a requirement for certain properties/items.

ALL of said customized crafted equipment would decay. Yes, I said decay.

This way, you would have a continual renewal/decay system in place somewhat like we had pre AoS. This would make a lot of people (esp. crafters) happy.

Even IF everyone has a crafter, and can make their own suits, so be it. At least your crafter would have a purpose other than being a mule and a BOD crossword puzzle completer. They would be a crafter.

All items could start at 255 durability (or even have it as a property with some type of ingredient as the key) and it would last for quite awhile. The more use it gets, the more it wears out, and the quicker it needs replacing.

Creatures could then be hunted with a purpose. You would need to hunt specific creatures for specific ingredients, for specific properties.

NERF PoT and then smoke it all.

Renewal and decay for the win. Crafting with a purpose. Hunting with a purpose other than gold farming.

Ok, it wasn't as quick and brief as I originally planned :p

/edit

You could also use Cygnas' idea for certain creatures dropping different ingredients for specific properties. Keep in mind ingredients don't have to be ingredient's at all. Could be parts like a sword hilt, sharpening stones, mongbat juice, etc.

If it 'taint a hilt and it 'taint mongbat juice, it must be Taint!

sorry couldnt resist.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just noticed I called it PoT, and not PoF. It's PoF now right? Wonder what's on my mind....yeaaaaaa.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

NERF PoT and then smoke it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

They added PoT to the game? When did that happen? Damn! I wasn't paying attention.

Is it for medicinal use only or can anyone partake?

LOL

G

I really like some of the idea here of monsters having ingredients as loot however the thought of them having NOTHING but that ..... No.. I think a monster such as a troll.... or an ogre would perhaps have gold.... and a few items that they took off some hapless victim....... I think more than just one class of creature would carry rings, belts(somthing that should be more in game but isn't).... bags with various things.... spellcasters would have reagents in theirs of course... Others might carry bandages, gold, gems, ingredients, food, stuff like that... however a Dragon... now they are known for "hording" treasure.... shouldn't they therefore have more goods???? And someone suggested special "treasure" tiles as we all know there are piles known as "treasure" piles... these are tiles and I think it would be really, really neat if paragon super dragons had these on them as loot.... collect them all build neat piles of treasure..... I think some creatures should have items that are specific to them.... like fans on fandancers..... however seems to me that Ogres, fandancers, and a few other creatures do drop a club and a fan as part of their normal loot drop.... however the ones they drop are your Zero mod straight up item.... in other words JUNK!!!!

In my opinion some of this should be removed from the game.. though if you all remember they did remove some of these things long ago..... hence the lack of crystal balls and wands as well as a staff I think, on Liches.... Kinda wish they would put the crystal balls and wands back on the lich.... at least Lich Lords.

Be careful what you wish for.... anyway the Ninja and the ronin carry a ton of just plain garbage..... which could be taken away or at least give the junk some properties..... as it stands 95% of the drop on either of those is just garbage.....

Loot in general needs to be "tweeked"...... in my opinion..... starting with Treasure chests and working it's way down to the lowly mongbat.... And I most certainly agree some loot should be ..... more specific to certain creatures... however I don't think that it should be quite that specific.... And I don't think all stuff some folk thinks is junk should be concidered junk.... (remember the crystal ball).... there are many things like the Earth Elemental that drop say fertile dirt.... how about the reapers giving those pieces of deadwood??? Not that there is any use for that... but I think it would be nice if they actually PUT IN a use for things like Deadwood, executioners caps, and things of that nature.... they certainly have the code for Wyrm hearts, dragons blood, and the like to spawn and I don't think it would be a huge jump to make them into some sort of ingredients for somthing...

Now Rares collectors may get miffed about wyrms hearts and all returning but I think adding more ingredients and unique crafting would more than make up for that.

I

imported_Ozymandies

Yes, these are all good ideas. Put them on the list.

Last time I checked, there were 3 or 4 Software Engineer positions open at EAMythic for working on DAoC and UO, if you want to do some of this yourself.

OZ

C

Connor_Graham

Heh, I'd just be happy if the things that were tough to kill actually had something worth killing them for. Gold is good and all, but it would sure be nice NOT to see weapons with 1% damage increase on them...

C

Connor_Graham

Heh, you did see where I'm on my Dexxer right? I actually did go toe to toe with him and got him down to 50% health before he nailed me with a really bad combo.

C

Cygnas

While we are wishing....

4) All items can use POF up to maximum 255 total durability. Once the total amount of fortification has been applied, all at one time or over time, it cannot be further enhanced. For example: you craft an item with 55 durability; POF's can be used to add 200 durability total, whether it is done all at one time or several times after many repairs.

This would still give POF usefulness without creating unbreakable armor and weapons. Of course, this would make self-repair a more valuable modification.

B

BadManiac

In my aparently lost post in the idea forum, I had written a whole essay about loot rebalancing.
Overall it was something along the lines of what you are saying Connor. The current very clunky static loot system with "loot packs" should go completely. a monster doesn't get great loot just because you stick 3 bags of crap loot on it instead of only one on a low end creature.

Creatures should all get a toughness rating, depending on HP, resists, skills, casting ability, movement speed, and so on. The higher the toughness, the more gold, and BETTER (NOT more) items. That way a peerless would have the same AMMOUNT of items as a balron, or a daemon. only the peerless would have much BETTER items, and more gold than a bally, which would in turn have more gold and BETTER items than a daemon. That way a peerless doesn't need to have a mass of 50 +1DI/+1 dex items for every good one.

G

Hehe, i still got an old Lich Crystal Ball sitting in my house. I used to cast on them when doing 8x8 on a boat to gain Eval/Magery, seemed to gain fast when casting on Crystal Ball.

I

imported_infiniti

If reps are one of the toughest creatures in game then you really need to check your playstyle, maybe Rend the daddy of them, but the others na, go try an earth elemental Connar, if you have trouble with those however, I dont mind creating a new char on your server to show you where they are.

S

slasherofveils

<blockquote><hr>

If reps are one of the toughest creatures in game then you really need to check your playstyle, maybe Rend the daddy of them, but the others na, go try an earth elemental Connar, if you have trouble with those however, I dont mind creating a new char on your server to show you where they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow way to be a **** man. reptalons certainly aren't easy on a dexxer, certainly harder then miasma or balrons and other things. WTG flaunting your epeen to poke at a respected stratics board poster