• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Repairing and Maintaining Jewelry

Jazzer

Adventurer
When is the best time to repair jewelry? I have a legendary bracelet and ring the seems to, for some reason, take more damage than the rest of my armor. I let one go down below 10 before I fixed it and it many tries before I repaired it and when I did it reduced the durability from 255 down to 247.

When is the best time to repair jewelry so that I don't reduce the overall durability of the item? Is there something I can do to the item so that it does not deplete the durability of the item so quickly? Is this normal?

Thanks for your help!

Xoos

Journeyman
Ya... It's the Antique property on jewelry. It wears down faster anytime you are in combat mode I think. I learned recently you can repair as per normal but you can only fortify it up again 3 times to lesser max durability each time before it'll just wear out and poof.

I would say the timing and way you repaired is the right way to get the most out of it.

Clean or Prized will last with repairs and PoF forever. I think cursed might too but you have to be careful there obviously.

Jazzer

Adventurer
Ya... It's the Antique property on jewelry. It wears down faster anytime you are in combat mode I think. I learned recently you can repair as per normal but you can only fortify it up again 3 times to lesser max durability each time before it'll just wear out and poof.

I would say the timing and way you repaired is the right way to get the most out of it.

Clean or Prized will last with repairs and PoF forever. I think cursed might too but you have to be careful there obviously.
Interesting Xoos, You started off talking about Antique and at first I thought that my jewelry weren't antique. But sure enough, all the ones I bought for a lot of money are Legendary and Antique. Wow, that sucks! They go down so quickly!

Something else you said I didn't know about that I want to verify. You said fortify up to 3 times, I assume you mean using the powder of fortification? So, does that mean I can keep repairing each piece until the overall durability goes from 255 down to, say, 25 and then I can use the powder of fortification and get it back up to, not to 255 but say, 240 and then start the process all over again? This can be done at least 3 times after the original 255, is this correct?

gwen

Slightly Crazed
@Jazzer , I don't v know how good are those jewels you bought , but I never wearing down any antique below 200 or so. Usually at that time or earlier I change something in template or find something better.
Another way is to use clean jewelry for low level spawn for example and switch to good antique ones when you really need them. Jewelry with Mana regen goes down faster than without it. Can go to 0/255 durability just staying in Luna spamming Provo buff or area peace.

Always carry replacement jewelry with you in case antique will wear out in the middle of something.

Xoos

Journeyman
This is what it says on UO Guide:
  • It can have Powder of Fortifying applied 3 times. Each powder will set the max durability to 250 then 200 and finally 150 after each use.
To be honest, I've not yet worn down a piece of antique jewelry enough to be ready to powder it so I don't know exactly how it works. I usually use custom imbued pieces on my main fighters.

Jaida

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Please see the third bullet note from uoguide.com. This supersedes the antique property. I just tested it out again just to make sure before posting, and I get the message, "You cannot use the powder on that item." This means that Brittle jewelry is just as good as clean jewelry, since neither can be powdered. I actually prefer Brittle jewelry over Prized since it costs less to insure.

1677109132114.png

Jazzer

Adventurer
@Jazzer , I don't v know how good are those jewels you bought , but I never wearing down any antique below 200 or so. Usually at that time or earlier I change something in template or find something better.
Another way is to use clean jewelry for low level spawn for example and switch to good antique ones when you really need them. Jewelry with Mana regen goes down faster than without it. Can go to 0/255 durability just staying in Luna spamming Provo buff or area peace.

Always carry replacement jewelry with you in case antique will wear out in the middle of something.
Thanks Gwen. Here is the specs on my straight warrior's bracelet (don't ask the cost) - Tactics +15; Swordsmanship +15; Antique; Night Sight; Luck = 100; Enhance Potions (EP) +25%; HCI + 15%; DCI + 15%; Dam. + 25%. The ring - Anatomy + 15; Antique; Luck = 100: EP +25%; HCI + 20%; SS + 10; DCI + 15%; Dam. + 25%: Poison Resist +15%. They work out perfect to allow for 1140 Luck Suit before I add anything to increase it. No regenerations, I get that with other items for my masteries and special attacks.

I worked so hard getting this character to where it is and but now I am paranoid to play him because of this. Unfortunately, these two pieces are the core of the character. I can get rid of the EP and even the luck but that is about it. Like you said, I would have to change something in the template but damn, I just got him to this level!

I live near Destard so I find myself there a lot and can solo Greater Dragons fairly easy with an imbued Longsword. Problem though is that I can run these to items down in a weekend of hard fighting.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Thanks Gwen. Here is the specs on my straight warrior's bracelet (don't ask the cost) - Tactics +15; Swordsmanship +15; Antique; Night Sight; Luck = 100; Enhance Potions (EP) +25%; HCI + 15%; DCI + 15%; Dam. + 25%. The ring - Anatomy + 15; Antique; Luck = 100: EP +25%; HCI + 20%; SS + 10; DCI + 15%; Dam. + 25%: Poison Resist +15%. They work out perfect to allow for 1140 Luck Suit before I add anything to increase it. No regenerations, I get that with other items for my masteries and special attacks.

I worked so hard getting this character to where it is and but now I am paranoid to play him because of this. Unfortunately, these two pieces are the core of the character. I can get rid of the EP and even the luck but that is about it. Like you said, I would have to change something in the template but damn, I just got him to this level!

I live near Destard so I find myself there a lot and can solo Greater Dragons fairly easy with an imbued Longsword. Problem though is that I can run these to items down in a weekend of hard fighting.
1 . if you fight in Destard champ spawn , for first 2 levels Bracelet Sword 15 , HCI 15 DCI 15 DI 25 rest in tactics is good.
Ring with SSI is harder : need to be looted. You can have something else instead of swords skill : no need 120 skill for low critters.
But look for prized jewels on VS , can lack EP or something but anatomy on bracelet is not much important for critters you one shot anyway.

If you don't have Bushido - use Grugor shield or looted with 10SSI. Shields are cheap.
2. Think for yourself when you need /use which skills /stats and when they are excessive. Once I had chivalry on my warrior using it only for sacred journey. You can lower your party or even anatomy to increase sword and have better onslaught outcome .
3. If you need luck - clean up warrior set has no durability at all and provides 450 luck +60 DI ,+10SSI and some HCI .
4. monitor VS for non-antique jewelry and you will find some without DCI or else for fair reasonable price.
5. have different weapon for low spawn and bosses: (example) while hit area is very good against group it is useless if fighting one mob. Have it replaced with HLA or HLD can greatly increase damage dealt/received =>better leech and survivability.
6. loot mobs , participate in white net tosses , loot paragons in limited events and once in a while you will find clean legendary jewelry .

Jazzer

Adventurer
This is what it says on UO Guide:
  • It can have Powder of Fortifying applied 3 times. Each powder will set the max durability to 250 then 200 and finally 150 after each use.
To be honest, I've not yet worn down a piece of antique jewelry enough to be ready to powder it so I don't know exactly how it works. I usually use custom imbued pieces on my main fighters.
Thanks Xoos, Thats is good to know even for my o
1 . if you fight in Destard champ spawn , for first 2 levels Bracelet Sword 15 , HCI 15 DCI 15 DI 25 rest in tactics is good.
Ring with SSI is harder : need to be looted. You can have something else instead of swords skill : no need 120 skill for low critters.
But look for prized jewels on VS , can lack EP or something but anatomy on bracelet is not much important for critters you one shot anyway.

If you don't have Bushido - use Grugor shield or looted with 10SSI. Shields are cheap.
2. Think for yourself when you need /use which skills /stats and when they are excessive. Once I had chivalry on my warrior using it only for sacred journey. You can lower your party or even anatomy to increase sword and have better onslaught outcome .
3. If you need luck - clean up warrior set has no durability at all and provides 450 luck +60 DI ,+10SSI and some HCI .
4. monitor VS for non-antique jewelry and you will find some without DCI or else for fair reasonable price.
5. have different weapon for low spawn and bosses: (example) while hit area is very good against group it is useless if fighting one mob. Have it replaced with HLA or HLD can greatly increase damage dealt/received =>better leech and survivability.
6. loot mobs , participate in white net tosses , loot paragons in limited events and once in a while you will find clean legendary jewelry .
Thanks for your time and help! I will start to look at changing it up to utilize crafted rings. I dont know much about recrafting (if that is the right term) looted jewelry. I guess you have to look for "clean" items with only 1,2 or 3 stats only that you want and imbue the others if weight allows.

Jazzer

Adventurer
Please see the third bullet note from uoguide.com. This supersedes the antique property. I just tested it out again just to make sure before posting, and I get the message, "You cannot use the powder on that item." This means that Brittle jewelry is just as good as clean jewelry, since neither can be powdered. I actually prefer Brittle jewelry over Prized since it costs less to insure.

View attachment 140763
Thanks for pointing that out Jaida, if that is the case, then it sucks even more!