• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Renegade Changeling - how to kill solo?

WiggyJiggyJed

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So, I dug up a Hoard Chest last night in Ilshenar. No big deal: 4x Titans + 1x Changeling on the initial spawn. RC tore thru them so fast that even with 98 Disarm, I got two disarm spawn: Gargoyle Enforcer + Exodus Minion. Again, no big deal for a RC.

Then during the loot spawn, everything was going fine. A couple more Gargoyle Enforcers, a Changeling.; no biggie. Then on the last item in the chest, a Renegade Changeling spawns right on top of me. It didn't hit hard, but it hit really fast. OooOoOo. Run to shrine and rez, come back and after about a dozen RCs, it never gets below 88% health. So, I try to draw it away from my corpse so I can get my non-insured stuff and leave.

Fortunately, it was loot spawn, so there was no loss in leaving it. But if it had been initial or disarm spawn, I would never have gotten the chest open.

What's the trick to soloing a Renegade Changeling? Just time and a whole bunch of RCs?

Maldar

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, I dug up a Hoard Chest last night in Ilshenar. No big deal: 4x Titans + 1x Changeling on the initial spawn. RC tore thru them so fast that even with 98 Disarm, I got two disarm spawn: Gargoyle Enforcer + Exodus Minion. Again, no big deal for a RC.

Then during the loot spawn, everything was going fine. A couple more Gargoyle Enforcers, a Changeling.; no biggie. Then on the last item in the chest, a Renegade Changeling spawns right on top of me. It didn't hit hard, but it hit really fast. OooOoOo. Run to shrine and rez, come back and after about a dozen RCs, it never gets below 88% health. So, I try to draw it away from my corpse so I can get my non-insured stuff and leave.

Fortunately, it was loot spawn, so there was no loss in leaving it. But if it had been initial or disarm spawn, I would never have gotten the chest open.

What's the trick to soloing a Renegade Changeling? Just time and a whole bunch of RCs?
Yeah, when one of those show up, my Mystic just walks away...........well, flies away like a drunken monkey, actually, but you get the picture. :) RCs don't damage them much. The Renegade Changelings highest resist is physical at around 90%.

Renegade Changeling - UOGuide, the Ultima Online Encyclopedia

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I yell for a friend that's a tamer (if not playing my tamer TH)

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use a Chivalry trained up Cu Sidhe and invis a screen away to avoid the Renegade Changeling from going after me. It takes a while, usually a few minutes, but it gets the job done.

I've never fought them with another template so can't help you there. They're an annoying mob to fight, they heal insanely fast and have high resists. Maybe a bard template with mysticism would do? I don't know.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I killed a renegade changeling a few weeks back with a mystic spellweaving t-hunter. My key was the RC and using invisibility to stay away so it reverted to fey form rather than copying my stats. It still took a while. I was so happy when I finally was able to use WOD. Then it went down fast.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I use my Sampire/Wammy to kill them. I go in Wraith Form, so that when the Changeling transforms into me, he becomes vulnerable to Undead Slayer (i have an Undead Slayer Cameo equipped). I Honor him and run EoO. With Curse Weapon up and spamming AIs, i'll hit him for 250+ per AI, and leech back almost my entire Healthbar while never running out of Mana for AIs. Even Paragon Renegade Changelings are no threat then.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can also use Costumes to force Changelings to become vulnerable to specific Slayers. For example if you wear a Fire Ele costume, they'll take double damage from Elemental Slayer, and triple damage from Fire Elemental Slayer. Using a costume also denies them the extra base resists they'd gain from armor when they transform into you.
I love how the Mystical Polymorph Totem from the UO Store allows you to transform into a costume, without taking up a hand slot.