• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remove sumonings from magery

G

I have always liked the sumonings in magery. Demons and EV was once powerful, but now just a joke. So why dont we remove thwm from magery and ad a own skill for them and in same time beef them up.
Use same system as in taming.
1 you need magery to sumon
2 you need the new skill to be able to sumon whit magery
3 can only be healed whit magery
3 you controle are determend by magery, sumoning skill, eval and inscription.

So a sumoner would need magery, eval, sumoning skill and inscription.
This meens you can only benefit from magery and no other offencive skills in pvp.

When you remove the sumoning from 8c you can ad more direct damage spells who has a damage cap in pvp.

C

Cygnas

Because not everyone plays PvP, or likes both PvP and PvM with a mage. And those spells do come in handy in PvM. So in my opinion, leave it alone.

And we shouldn't change magery just because your pure mage can't successfully PvP... that's makes about as much sense as saying my pure crafter can't PvP either. My crafter could play PvP with a few skill changes, and so could your mage.

I

imported_Insta

It dont suprise me at all. They are tying to take mages out of the game I do belive. First they let boxes break para, then they make mages speicals practically worthless. Now they are going to take away summons. Whats next?

G

Go to the guilds page. Pick any guild. Look at the skill averages. How many do not have magery as the either the 1st or 2nd most common skill?

Magery is the swiss-army-knife skill of UO and is obviously being found to be extremely useful by a large number of characters. So sorry, I don't see the evidence that magery as a skill is hard-done-by.

edit: I was looking at vet membership, not warfare averages ... I do see that there is definitely a difference between the two lists

I

imported_Insta

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I dont give a damn what they want to to to magery for the trammel side, but for christs sake stop crippling mages in pvp.

G

Sounds like a great idea! for a new type of skill that does not change anything as it is now.

Having a pure summoner type character would be cool like a new spell based skill that only has spells that summon new stuff. Aside from that? No I cannot say I would like to see magery changed.

K

Kayne

No offence meant but this has to be the stupidest idea ive ever read on here. What on earth is wrong with EV's? Leave us mages alone!

G

So my wrestle/scribe mage has to lose even more power than it's already lost? No thanks, lame idea. Better would be to keep the mage summons like they are now, but add a new skill with different summons. But even that isn't that great of an idea. :/

G

Please re-read.

No one has said they're going to take away summons, only the OP wants that to happen.

As far as I'm aware there are no plans that have been mentioned by any EA rep to substantially change magery.

While Nisse may consider that EVs are a joke, I find them very useful on my chars that have magery, and so do very many others. It was by far the most used spell during the magincia invasion recently.

S

stevethepirate86

i play a mage/necro for pvp and i find an ev thrown in the middle of a dexxer or archer attacking you tends to get you a chance for the quick paralyze. ive seen the use of pixies in combat alot of late also. i think the summons still work excellent for pvp even a simple vampire bat can interupt and slow the opposition down from their assault. plus mass dispel is easily interuptted by a few magic arrows to weaken the opponet daster i think it works well if you just try it out. btw i just hit reply off your tab petra srry bout that

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm more concerned with the discrepancy in summon casting times. It is beyond me why it takes sooooo long to summon a rabbit, but you can summon an earth elemental in the standard 8th circle summoning time.

I believe that in the original documentation for UO, it was stated that all summoning spells were supposed to take longer, but that has never been the case. It's always only been the case for Summon Animal and Blade Spirit, which runs completely opposite to what makes sense.

I say, since we've had the actually useful summons (EV, EE, WE, FE, AE, and Daemon) not follow the "summon spells have longer casting times" rule, and since it would be kind of stupid to spontaneously ruin our lunch after 10+ years of it being that way, the casting times on Summon Animal and Blade Spirit should be lowered to the normal casting times for their circles.

It's not like being able to summon llamas at an increased rate is going to give anyone an advantage.

E

eolsunder1

The reason EV's had a shorter casting time was that back when magery had a max of 100 skill, summoning EV's wasn't something that happened easy. So in order for them to be actually effective at all, they had to lower the summon time so that you had alot of chances to get one off.

The lower level Blade and anmials pretty much worked every time, thus the longer summoning delay.

G

Nah, only thing that i could think that be done to Summons is make Blade Spirits take 1 Control Slot instead of 2, and give them back their' DP. Right now, Blade Spirits are pretty pathetic, especially considering they take the same amount of Control Slots as a EV and take longer to cast. Only advantage they have over a EV is that more than 5 of them can be within a 5x5 Tile radius without dispelling each other. Would like to see EV's get back their' Berserker AI, meaning they attack anything within sight, including blues in Fel, even if cast by a blue. Used to be that way with BS and EV, they would attack anything in sight, even their own caster, even in Tram. BS usually went after stuff with higher STR/Tactics first, while EVs went after stuff with higher INT/Eval first.

Another thing that i would like to see done to "Summons" is to actually fix them damn Summon/Bonded ML Pets, like the Grizzled Mare, Paroxysmus' Swamp Dragon, Albino Squirrel, and Imprisoned Dog. Right now, if they are hit by any creature with Auto Dispel, or a Player/Monster/NPC casts Dispel/Mass Dispel on them, it completely destroys them, as in obliterate, delete, no longer exists at all. Pub 40 supposedly fixed this, but it didn't. Or at least make it to where if they're hit with Dispel/Mass Dispel, that it auto stables them instead of destroys them.

Summoner class wouldn't be that good of an idea. All 120.0 Skillpoints in it could be negated by one spell, Mass Dispel. Kind of like how 120.0 Skillpoints in Resist is negated by one spell, Evil Omen.

G

both demons and EV was a blast before. demons was extremly powerful and EV was fast and they spamed poisen and curse. So yes they are a joke compered to what they was. The power they had before was also a part of the low resist folks had and the lack of to days speed.

G

Well nowadays magery/mages are not the only skills nor ways, which can summon things. BE these lame or useful, there are many other things one can summon too, my necro can summon a black addler, some elfy ones can summon up natures fury, mages can summon up elementals.

NONE should be removed ..unless for some weird reason the dev team opts to remove ALL summoned critters then it would not be logical nor fair to just either make magery summons harder needing more skills yet to summon, or to just toss out summoned critters unless they throw out natures fury and black addlars and revenants and all the rest of the summoned critters, which would sort of fubar every expansion they created the skill abilities for summoned critters, throughout, be it from mages to elves.

Be many folks would wish nature's fury get nerfed or gone too...etc or made way more complex to summon ...where then do they draw the line without nullifying everything to become more points to be successful or more boring randomisations, inhibiting every one till we are all nerfed to utter boredom in this game hemmed in by more hurdles to jump thru to achieve doing anything.

*it alreadys sucks enough* with many things that everything is too random to even get DONE* or achieve any more, at all without wasted time, in game delays, more skill points needed to do things, carpal tunnel, more clicks more skills needed more time just to DO about anything anymore with some things why make things get more complex when we need them to simplify the complex maze of a mess that they have kinda turned this game into post AOS.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care where you're from, if you're going to post in english, at least spell correctly prior to making yet another nerf attempt.

"SUMMONING".....is used in other aspects outside of PvP, player versus player, punk versus punk, call it what you will......I'd love to see the word balance removed, nerf it even. Seems alot, not all, pvp's whine when they can't win a fight....suddenly, there's no balance.

Why should there be?? Fairness??....lol, life isn't fair. Don't say this is just a game, because I see way too many real life issues dragged onto the boards......like, oh say, harassment......either way, it's either adapt, use fresh tactics, or go play xbox with little cheats.

T

Time Keeper

with all due respect this is a terrable idea i love casting Energy Vortex and Earth Elements.

I

imported_Sarphus

I agree... this is a really really bad idea.

I'm all for ADDING a skill to allow for stronger summons. I'm completely against subtracting power from existing summons just because one player apparently doesn't use them. I don't even follow the logic of removing something from the game because one player doesn't use it.

summons are one of the things that can almost bring a mage's damage in line with a dexer's. I say almost because dexers are still the kings of damage and pretty much everything else, but without summons, mages have trouble even being competitive on damage.

Summons in their current form are useful in both pvm and pvp. Just because you don't use em doesn't mean they aren't useful.

G

Ghosty

I'd like to see something new done with Summon Creature, personally. I mean, really, the spell is utterly useless as it stands now. A GM mage can depend on ... what, walruses and crocodiles?

K

Kayne

I have to agree with Ghosty - thats the only summon spell that a mage has i think is totally pointless. What on earth are the creatures summoned via the spell really going to do for me except maybe produce a slight annoyance in whatever they may be attacking?

I

imported_Goron

<blockquote><hr>

They are tying to take mages out of the game I do belive. First they let boxes break para,

[/ QUOTE ]LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Wow. sorry, I just pissed myself you made such a funny.
I mean. We all know you were joking, right? I mean, considering you used to be able to break paralyze with a magic trapped pouch... things are much better than they used to be for the para-mage...

G

Ehhhhh? who says i dont use them? It is all about they being so weak and if you want a bost you need to sacrefice some and it mu be a balance in both pvp and pvm. To get back the power they had once you must ad some or else it cant work.

I

imported_Sarphus

Maybe I just don't get it. I just don't see how you can take something away to make it better. I realize you want to bring it back in conjunction with a summoning skill, but you are still taking something away from mages that don't have the summoning skill you propose.

Something I'm not sure you know...

I made a post about a year or so ago suggesting the addition of a summoning skill. I'm ok with a summoning skill being added. I just think the skill should be an addition, not a subtraction. When skills are added, it should add diversity without sacrificing existing, balanced templates. It's ok to break gimplates, but balanced templates shouldn't be destroyed to add a skill.

I

imported_SUNCHICKEN

<blockquote><hr>

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Wow. sorry, I just pissed myself you made such a funny.
I mean. We all know you were joking, right? I mean, considering you used to be able to break paralyze with a magic trapped pouch... things are much better than they used to be for the para-mage...
<blockquote><hr>

LOL RIGHT BACK AT Ya... you do relize your magic trap pouches were only usable once you had to carry upwards of 30-50 to get away sometimes and being as your bag only holds 125 items aids pots are now limited to 75 as pots didnt stack . I belive ima side with insta. The only thing thats better for para now is necro and im betting hes a pure mage so i bet he lacks the necro for evil omen....

I

imported_Goron

you managed to get paralyzed 30-50 times while escaping form a para gank? Well... I guess I owe you an apology, I didn't realize some people were so bad at pvp back then. I'm sorry.

I

imported_SUNCHICKEN

Well if you had played on great lakes in factions you better have carried 30+ boxes or your ass was in stat.

G

Only problem I have with summons is how easily they can be dispelled by some enemies, since they are an 8th circle spell... They can be countered too easily imho.

C

Crystilastmous

They are powerful beasts! Those walruses.....

No really though, summon creature was never terribly useful. You CAN summon a horse with it though.

No need to edit it, it's not broken, it works properly.....

C

Crystilastmous

<blockquote><hr>

I'd like to see something new done with Summon Creature, personally. I mean, really, the spell is utterly useless as it stands now. A GM mage can depend on ... what, walruses and crocodiles?

[/ QUOTE ]

No really though, summon creature was never terribly useful. You CAN summon a horse with it though.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You had to mention walruses... I'm told they like buckets...

I

imported_blesh

i think as a completely new skill, this could be really fun, but if you take away my ev's, or make me mess up my template to have them, i'm gonna be pretty pissed off.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have always liked the sumonings in magery. Demons and EV was once powerful, but now just a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I use both EV and Demons, as well as earth and fire elementals when I am hunting. They are very useful against certain target monsters, while others can dispell them in a snap. That's the way it should be. Summons in PvM is balanced, and thus there is no reason to change it.

I

imported_xStrikerx

What target monsters are you talking about? (besides rotting corpses since they dont do anything to EVs) The only thing I find mage summons useful for is sacrificial lambs or low level champ spawns (where EQ and wither is still much better). I only use them as a couple second distraction after leading the monster to where I want it.

8th Circle summons should have increased dispel resistance with high eval int.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was awesome

In best teeny EMO voice.........

"Leave summons alone!"