• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Remembering the cherry trees. :-) Is it SPRING yet?

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Spring will be around the corner soon... I hope. I was digging around my hosted pictures tonight and I found an old photo I took on one of the Asian shards back in the day. I’m not sure if they still do this. On exploring, it shocked me that these shards saw so much more customized decoration then we saw on Atlantic. This was before I learned about the separate staff. They also did amazing Christmas décor... I’m sorry to say, that you could never see the EMs do on any shard because they could pull from a bigger library. I wish they would give us white poinsettia potted plants, but for some reason the graphic always has existed... and it's never been an item for trade. Likewise, the cherry blossoms were around long before they were a deeded tree from the Heritage tokens. There were quite a few “interesting” sights to behold on these Asian shards in the various visits I made that would have been nice if we all could have shared. But... that is just part of the historical mystery of UO I will never understand. :)

This picture was taken just South-West of the big Brit castle, if memory serves.

Lady Wynn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How pretty they look. I have never been off the atlantic shard. I guess I need to venture out a bit more. Hopefully I dont get lost. (taz if you read this dont respond LOL )

EvilPixieWorks

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, please... explore! People just don’t explore anymore.

It's like I said in the post... I really don’t know if they do this sort of thing anymore. The Cherry Trees... and the elaborate Christmas décor around the west Brit bank... I ran around for hours just exploring the way we did back in the day. I know there were more pictures I took. A shrine to fallen pets, back before bonding I’m sure. A hot spring style bath. Both of these were by the edge of the mountains out by Brit farms. Right now, I believe this is seasonal, there is a large temple by the Brit Farm fields... I’ve seen this same design a few times, with changes. Moongates are set from New Haven and West Brit bank... plus one each to go back. Check it out. This last Christmas, they had “Santa’s House” set up with the same moongates. I think they backed off the really elaborate stuff like they did back 7+ years ago. A real shame. Our staff could have taken lessons. ;)

BUT... when you talk about exploring and finding unique stuff, you’ll never know what you’ll find on the US shards as well. This last week I was on Pacific shard and saw an amazing Aquarium just north of the Meer city, north of Sacrifice moongate. Just next to that, I swear was a customized castle-size plot of a totally different zoo, complete with creatures. How this came to be is only a mystery... but there is sure nothing like it on Atlantic, my home shard. I forget what shard it was had an amazing dungeon set up for Easter one year, the year we had baskets... an Alice in Wonderland theme, I couldn’t do because I had no skills... while we got a rock to double-click. Atlantic gets the short stick. I mean... who knows the work and uniqueness you’ll find poking around? Not that I know of anything to point out on Atlantic that hasn’t been in place since I started playing 10+ years ago.

I didn’t even mention this with my original post... as much as I hate winter and snow, the one thing I totally looked forward to every year was the real cherry blossoms in Washington DC. All the flowering trees and shrubbery, along with the bulb flowers, really let you know winter was over and it was spring. Where I live now... we have a few flowering trees, but it's far from meaning winter is over. Last year alone, snow crushed many of these flowering trees and likewise... early snowfall hit before the fall colors even started. The damage is very extensive. Nothing beats those old Cherry Blossoms. :)