• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Remove Trap] Remaining hidden while using Remove Trap Skill? Is that Possible? Help! :)

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With 120 Stealth, 100 Hiding, 120 Lock pick, over 65 in Detect Hidden and Tracking, I was attempting to learn the skill "Remove Trap" because:

On various UO REMOVE TRAP searches the following information was found:
A Character with Stealth Skill will remain hidden while using 'Remove Trap' skill

EG: In a Second Age Forum post, I found this:

"First of all I want to clarify some thing. For most builds the remove trap skill is a redundant skill and most of what it can do can all so be done with the telekinesis spell.

What remove trap skill does that is not possible with the telekinesis spell is that it allows you to stay in stealth while popping open a chest. It is good on a character with stealth and lock picking skills."
After reading another post on another site about Vesper Bank, I went to Vesper Bank and tried to gain "Remove Trap" skill on spawning trapped boxes, but my hidden character would become visible every time I used the skill. :wall:
In Vesper Bank: standing one pace away but next to the trapped boxes using Remove Trap skill got me killed. So I stood further away, much further away .. like outside in another room with a wall between myself and those trapped boxes. From there I was able to untrap the boxes BUT using Remove Trap skill caused my character to become visible which is contrary to what I had read.

So I went searching for more information and found -- On another website, someone wrote that a character with Stealth/Lockpick/Track and Detect Hidden over 50 each/ would remain hidden, not only AFTER using REMOVE TRAP SKILL but also when taking things out of containers.

Now that would be extremely useful while working in dungeons like Destard. :)

Has anyone successfully remained hidden while using the Remove Spell Skill lately?
Or is this another thing UO made impossible to use as originally intended. *sigh* Probably was too good to be true? :thumbup:

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remove trap won't reveal you but looting things will always reveal you.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for replying Frarc.

I persisted with the Vesper chests and it didn't matter where I stood, they would explode and sometimes kill me. Sometimes I managed to Remove Trap and gained.

My Stealther now has 35.2 Remove trap skill, and tinkering skill 36.6. So I'll try to trap my own crates next and increase the levels of skills equally between the two skills but making Tinkering skill always a couple of points ahead of the Remove Trap skill. (suggested in another post somewhere)

The Stealther is not staying hidden when using "remove trap". As soon as I use that skill, before I can target the crate I want untrap, my stealther is revealed. Maybe it's something that only happens with the Vesper spawning chests. So...

Tomorrow I'll try the Tinkered chests and/or go into Deceit or Destard and test this "hidden" stealth plus remove trap. :) Have a good night.

Well I tried tinker-trapping crates.. That low tinkering skill probably made it impossible for my Stealther to trap them. So I used my GM Tinker to trap the crates with lesser explosion, darts, and lesser poison.

But AGAIN, the hidden stealther was revealed each time I used Remove Trap Skill - and always before targeting the crates.

So that makes the skill almost redundant, unless it is something that needs fixing. Otherwise one might as well cast telekinesis.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are right, its detect hidden/traps that don't reveal you but disarm do.

Jade of Sonoma

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good Afternoon. Again thanks Frarc!

The other posts I read must have been thinking of Detect hidden as well and were confusing that point with Remove Trap skill.

I will stop developing the "Remove Trap Skill" unless someone can come up with a good reason for having it that is better than a template which includes workable Magery/Eval/Med/ and a LRC outfit with good resists. :)

One would not have to have more than the required Detect Hidden skill *(50 at the most*) for using the Lockpicking skill.

Then, of course, after dropping the skill "Remove Trap"
UO will find a reason for making it a requirement for something! I'll put the small Remove Trap gains on a soul stone fragment just in case. :loser: