• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Relatively Simple Faction Voting Fix

• Thread starter Stupid Miner
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
S

Stupid Miner

When a factioneer votes for leadership, on the next "Faction Update" time (or whatever they call it when they update kill score), every char in the account is checked to see if it's also in the same faction. If any char on that account is in a different faction, it gets kicked out of factions.

Seems like a simple fix for the bug that allows factioneers to vote a puppet commander into office for an enemy faction.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I think right now you can only vote once per account. And normally you can't have a char in two different factions on the same account.

So instead of implementing your idea, they just need to fix the faction guild transfer so it doesn't leave an alt in one faction while your char transfers with a guild to another.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well I think right now you can only vote once per account. And normally you can't have a char in two different factions on the same account.

So instead of implementing your idea, they just need to fix the faction guild transfer so it doesn't leave an alt in one faction while your char transfers with a guild to another.
The advantage of his idea, though, is that it is effectively a kind of fail-safe. Something can still be done about at least one aspect of the problem, voting, even if they try to fix the bug and fail.

-Galen's player

C

CannabisKing

Ive had 2 toon's in 2 dif factions on the same act. One guild was non-factions and as the GM I joined a dif faction, was told that it wasnt gonna work but guess what it did. :thumbup1:

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The advantage of his idea, though, is that it is effectively a kind of fail-safe. Something can still be done about at least one aspect of the problem, voting, even if they try to fix the bug and fail.

Not really, he mentioned nothing of them simply rejoining.

The problem is implementing new ideas before some of the things that need fixed are done.

Ive had 2 toon's in 2 dif factions on the same act. One guild was non-factions and as the GM I joined a dif faction, was told that it wasnt gonna work but guess what it did.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Would they kick you out of the guild leaving? Or perhaps a Gump that asks if you wish to leave the guild that is leaving factions, if no then all chars are removed from the faction? Or....That is actually the only thing I can think of, either you are forced to leave a faction with your guild, even if you did not wish to, or you are forced to leave the guild....but that would cause everyone in a guild to leave the guild, unless it was a force when that guild tried to join another faction.

Just trying to get an idea on how you think it should/could be fixed, some people enjoy playing with the people they play with but dislike people in x faction and might not have the time or means to convince the guild to go to y faction instead.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just trying to get an idea on how you think it should/could be fixed, some people enjoy playing with the people they play with but dislike people in x faction and might not have the time or means to convince the guild to go to y faction instead.
I honestly haven't thought about a solution to it.

But you'd either have to prevent the guild from entering a different faction until all guild members characters are out of the previous faction, or prevent the individual player from entering, possibly barring it from the guild until the condition(s) are met.

I'll mull it around a bit and post something later. But now its time to bring the kid to see the Easter Bunny. :)

Take care

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Does anyone remember the old writeups about factions that said that when a guild leader joined a faction, any character in the guild who already had a character on that account in factions would be ejected from the guild and thus prevented from joining the faction?

My guess is that when the change was made to allow multiple characters from the same account in factions, that section of coding must have been completely bypassed. Just reinstate it, but with a modification to only check for membership in the other factions. If there is a character in the guild who has characters on the same account in any of the other factions, that character is booted from the guild when the guild leader joins a faction. The basic programming should already be in place and just needs some minor tweaking.

The developers just need to follow the rules that are in the official playguide on the www.uo.com site: http://www.uoherald.com/guide/guide.php?guideId=206 under the "GUILDED PLAYERS" heading.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If a particular member of the guild has another character elsewhere on that same account and same shard in a different faction, then that member will be removed from the guild attempting to join. This is to allow the guild to go ahead and join the faction without overlapping the system of one faction per account per shard.
Nice find Tina, and you're right they should just tweak it to fix it again.

L

Lord Strahd

I dont like the voting system.

What happens when said faction leader is offline or goes on a haitus. Its to much control for one person in my oppinion. I think everything should be openly upgradable by any members and just fix the tax rates to a set amount. Also we are talking the whole shard here...A faction leader in my opinion shouldnt be a player character, maybe have no one faction leader or maybe the faction leader is an NPC?

I dont see the since in making the system overly complicated or opening it up to abuse. keep it simple.

Berethrain

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happens when said faction leader is offline or goes on a haitus. Its to much control for one person in my oppinion.

That's why you vote for someone who you know won't be leaving.

I think everything should be openly upgradable by any members and just fix the tax rates to a set amount. Also we are talking the whole shard here...A faction leader in my opinion shouldnt be a player character, maybe have no one faction leader or maybe the faction leader is an NPC?

This would lead to griefing and people making newb chars, sticking them in the faction and screwing with the commaner, sheriff, and ministers controls. Not a good idea.

L

Lord Strahd

What happens if the guy you trust doesnt get voted in? You only get 1 vote, and its very possible the guy voted for doesnt win the election.

So if things go the way you want then I guess there is no problems, except maybe a real life emergency? Or wait maybe your buddy gets wife aggro?

And if things go bad then well you gotta put up with it.... But what if its someone that is griefing your faction that ends up leader?

And about the newbs messing with the faction leader options....well if its only upgrades how are they going to make things worse? So the newb buys an upgrade for a faction horse vendor, oh noes now we have faction horses to buy!

If taxes are fixed, how is he going to raise or lower them? I dont realy understand the point of the tax adjustment anyways. It realy doesnt affect things very much that I can see.