• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Regarding Protection

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Protection - according to UOGuide:
Characters under the Protection spell effect can no longer have their spells "disrupted" when hit. As a result, those affected by the spell experience: decreased physical resistance; a reduction of their Resisting Spells skill value by -35, and a slower casting speed modifier of 2 points. However, this penalty can lower neither Resisting Spells nor the casting speed below 0. This modifier is applied after the cap takes effect, so additional FC above the cap will not counteract the negative effect of this spell.
So even if I have items with FC on, no matter what, if Protection is ON - then you always have ZERO FC...??? Or am I misreading the WiKi?
:confused:

Last edited:

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are reading correctly.

Last edited:

Aragoni

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can still have 6 FCR but yes i m for repeal the -34 magic resist skill AND that you can repeal the -2 white 2 fc to zero ore fc 2 white fc 4 ^^

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea, the huge resist penality coupled with the complete negation of fc/fcr is certainly a steep price to pay for the ability to actually use your only weapon in a fight. No wonder pure mages can't compete.... Just doesn't seem fair to me.

I mean, that would be like telling a swordsman: "Ok, you can use your weapon and shield, but if you do - you have to be naked..."

Last edited:

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a pure wrestle scribe mage, never much use for protection. With Casting Focus and Disarm, usually don't have too much problem with needing it

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play a pure wrestle scribe mage, never much use for protection. With Casting Focus and Disarm, usually don't have too much problem with needing it
Is your wrestle sufficient to never allow you to be interrupted?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't get hit that often with 120 wrestling and max dci. When I do get hit there's always that 1 in 6 chance that my casting focus will kick in and allow me to continue casting. Of course I'm also timing spells as well as I can so that I'm less likely to be interrupted.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How much casting focus do you have Logrus?

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I though wrestling didn't have anything to do with being interrupted anymore ?

Or is it because you have wrest + DCI, in the same way it works with a mage weap + DCI, but having just wrest wouldn't work ?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The approx formula for Hit chance = 50% * (Attacker Skill * Attacker HCI) / (Defender Skill * Defender DCI)
So if you have 0 Weapon skill (or wrestling) you'll get hit quite a bit regardless of your DCI.
Also seeing how much DCI is factored I wouldn't bother with just wrestling if I didn't have the DCI. You should check the parry thread in warriors.

jeza

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The approx formula for Hit chance = 50% * (Attacker Skill * Attacker HCI) / (Defender Skill * Defender DCI)
So if you have 0 Weapon skill (or wrestling) you'll get hit quite a bit regardless of your DCI.
Also seeing how much DCI is factored I wouldn't bother with just wrestling if I didn't have the DCI. You should check the parry thread in warriors.

OK thanks :)
It's more clear but I'll go have a look on the parry thread anyway