• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Question) Regarding Game Changes and Returning Players

Hattori Hanzo

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the legions of returning players (exaggeration?), I am curious how you feel about changes in game mechanics since you left and how they affect your potential return. A lot of new stuff significantly impacts game play. Whether you are a hardcore or occasional player, most of you want the best advantage possible within your style, budget, and skills.

Specifically, to those who have been gone a couple years, has the game changed in ways that make it more or less likely you could play again long term? In what ways?

I am also interested in similar comments from those of you who never left or are on and off again players. Input helps answer returning folks' questions.

Sir Morder

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the legions of returning players (exaggeration?), I am curious how you feel about changes in game mechanics since you left and how they affect your potential return. A lot of new stuff significantly impacts game play. Whether you are a hardcore or occasional player, most of you want the best advantage possible within your style, budget, and skills.

Specifically, to those who have been gone a couple years, has the game changed in ways that make it more or less likely you could play again long term? In what ways?

I am also interested in similar comments from those of you who never left or are on and off again players. Input helps answer returning folks' questions.
The change in monster loot has significantly closed or even eliminated the gap between faction and nonfaction players equipment. Now if you want pvp there's no need to join factions.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Suits are easier to build if you farm Wrong, Shame or Covetous the revamped armor can be better the you can imbue. Gargoyles unfortunetly we can only get revamped gargoyle armor from Shame.

And now with the new housing its easier to play a prodo shard and siege at the same time for those that arent full time siegers.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
And to all the new and returning players, there is money to be made, Siege is in need of vendors selling everything from house deco to training/combat gear. Don't try to sell everything, choose something and keep your vendor well stocked.
You don't need high skills to start a vendor, furniture's, LRC training suit, shame loot or anything else a new Siege player could need will sell.

legendsguy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked if the shard could use a Lumberjack and the responses were lukewarm to nonexistent. Therefore, I decided to continue onward as a thief.

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I asked if the shard could use a Lumberjack and the responses were lukewarm to nonexistent. Therefore, I decided to continue onward as a thief.
Hmmm one can never have enough fungi (the ones you need 10 of to imbue max stam/mana/HP on).

So I am sure those would be a huge huge seller!

Edit:
If you sell them at 1000gp per, I take the first 1000 of your hand gladly! ;)

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Check the demand at the Bazaar vendors in New Magincia

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a good place to read about all of the changes? I just learned about the second house rule in another thread.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
thanks kelmo! I honestly hope the Siege House rule breeds new life and excitement into the shard for the long term.

To answer Hattori's question, the changes have no impact on me. No amount of changes would being me back because MMOs just don't interest me anymore. UO doesn't interest me bc it was the people that I enjoyed and cared about, not game mechanics. I am not saying that the community isn't wonderful.... it's probably still better than all of the prodo shards put together, but most of the people I played with for the majority of my time on Siege are gone..... I^A, KSS, VMP, ORCs, The TAX men, TNT, REV.... and the list could go on.

Maybe you don't give a crap about any of this since I haven't played in two years, but I wanted to answer Hattori's question. For some people, the decision to leave may have been the game mechanics, which means changes could lure them back. For some of us, though, it was just time to move on. To be 100% honest, when I finally got that valorite hammer, my ultimate UO Goal has been accomplished! After that, it was time to go.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I too miss a lot of people from the past and miss when people was out mining, lumbering, hunting overland spawn. I miss when PK's was roaming, where it was not safe to do mining, lumbering or just hang out in a player town.
I miss when there was active players and shops in the player towns and when the town sometimes got raided.

Now we got the house changes, next step should be something that make people get out their houses. I wish to see the roads be dangerous again, I miss the fights we had there.

I do believe game changes effect the community a lot.

Gerbiler

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
As far as I go, I gave everything to Myst when I left, and from my understanding all those items are long gone. Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't be able to come back. It'd be nice to make a run through one day and see what has changed, but right now alot of the free games are holding my attention.

Aelfric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really like a lot of the new changes, but it kind of makes me wish I had a crafter now. Imbuing seems pretty rad, but now it seems that in order to compete you need to have a lot of money since those suits are GD expensive. Last I played, lots of us were just wearing throw-away barbed leather suits with no mods and that was still fairly effective. Now it seems that the bare minimum throw-away suit is something imbued and costs at least 50k. That's a pretty expensive death, not even including other equipment, especially if you die a lot like I do.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has added imbuing to a combat oriented template. This seems viable to me in theory, since it adds bonuses to mystic spells. I am not sure if it works well in practice, however.

I was hoping to eventually have a mystic/imbue mage like this:

mage, eval, med, resist, imbue, mystic.

Is anyone running that template? I thought it would be good enough for pvp, great for pvm, and somewhat crafty for making money on the side with the imbues.

The prices for most things seems to have sky-rocketed, but the new commodity vendors really help out a lot. I stockpiled nearly a million gold worth of gems just by selling leather in only a couple days.

I still have to figure out where to farm new imbuing materials to sell and give to friendly crafters in game, which has been more difficult than I expected.

Since I have no crafters at all, it seems like the only thing I could do is sell dungeon loot or barbed leather for gold.

I still have no idea what any of these new items or mods do, but that hasn't really been an issue yet.

Another change seems to be this: Murderers are not as common now. I have been in a lot of dungeons and haven't been pk'd once since I've been back. I haven't even seen a pk in a dungeon yet. It's either the case that you reds need to step up your game, or I am just going to places people don't go to anymore, or I'm just lucky so far.

Also, I miss UOAM since it worked unlike the current options.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron