• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Recovering Hit Points

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Here’s the situation .... I’m learning how to solo champ spawns.

I’m ok for my equipment, stats, and skills .... for now let’s leave them alone ....

I blaze through the 1st two levels of all the spawns .... leechs are fine, damage is fine ... they drop like flies.

When I get to the 3rd level ... usually when the bad guys become ones thar used ranged attacks ... I’m not hitting as many targets cause they are further ... and I’m still learning the right way to go about it .... In the meantime can I get some advice on all of the different ways to recover hit points .....

I’m seeing confidence, close wounds, xevasion, greater heals .... are thete others? Ate they things I should be using ....

I’m an elf sampire

Bushido 120, Swords 120, tactics 120, resist 115, parry 110, and chivalry 80 ...

Like I said, for now I’m not looking to change the character ... only to learn my play options ....

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Vampire embrace and 145hp is all you need. You dont need hll or confidence or closed wounds to solo a camp spawn. Nor do you need gheal pots. You can drink a gstr pot to counter weaken.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hey Tabin ....problem is simple .... I’m “learning” .... you already know how ...

I’d like to live a liitle longer while I’m learning .... it’s kinda boring and a pita going through the 1st 2 levels and dying early into the 3rd .... only to have to start over.

I’m sure I really don’t neen them .... but for now I’d like to know what I can use to get more “alive” time and “less” black and white time while I’m learning ...

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You say your a elf sampire but your template does not have any necromancy in it. Life Leech on Weapons is not good enough because it is inconsistent when it triggers. Make sure you have enough stamina as well on your suit template because if you are not maintain a high swing speed you will die very fast as well.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
81% hll and 81% hml .... 205 stamina with 17 stamina regen .... swing speed is not the issue .... just haven’t learned yet how to get close enough to a large number of bad guys to hit .... if I’m only hitting one or two close guys while I’m getting hit by 1/2 dozen ranged ones I don’t last long .... back to the original question .... what are all of the spells or items that will restore hit points ... maybe I already listed them

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What mobs are you fighting and what weapon / special moves are you using?

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Last time through was Dread Spiders and Terathan Matriarchs ...

using double axe and whirlwind .... from memory 100% fire elemental, arachnid slayer, 81% HLL, 81% HML, 50% Hit Area Fire, can’t remember the 5th property ... also using arachnid cameo ... 205 stamna ... 89 Mana ... 150 Hit Points .... 30 SSI ... 100% DI ...

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

using double axe and whirlwind .... from memory 100% fire elemental, arachnid slayer, 81% HLL, 81% HML, 50% Hit Area Fire, can’t remember the 5th property ... also using arachnid cameo ... 205 stamna ... 89 Mana ... 150 Hit Points .... 30 SSI ... 100% DI ...
So you have 765 total skill points. Are your resists not all 70s after vamp form? Do you have protection cast lowering your physical? 205 stam and 30ssi is overkill. If you have DI on your weapon, then you don't have stamina leech. Are you sure you just aren't losing stamina too fast and losing your swing speed?

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Don’t run protection ... resists are 75 75 75 75 76 in vampiric embrace

I used a whetstone to remove DI from my weaps ... 100 DI on suit and equip ... stamina never goes low nor does mana .... when there are thongs close enough to swing at the speed is fine

MrMightySmith

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think your missing using counter attack with WW ready to go. When you are about to enter a large mob of lets say Terretheans Matriacrchs and dread spiders you want to case Evade at the right time so you get that 5 seconds of being really protected. Not even the best sampire can run into a huge group of Matriarchs/spiders with out evade, confidence, or counter attack (mainly evade though).

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

These stats are really good. Any chance you can fit in 35% ssi instead of 30%? The SSI breaks are 20%, 35% and 55%. It will help depending on how low your stamina gets from regular fighting. Spawns usually don't do enough damage to lower stam that much though. Hmmm. You said your stam rarely goes low though, so that probably isn't the issue?

Do you find yourself frequently getting stuck behind mobs due to felluca body blocking rules? One of the nice things about HSL is that it allows you to straight up hit the mob, get max stam and run right through other mobs.

Armored swamp dragon helps a ton but you're probably riding that already.

What macro do you use to WW? I like to hit "target nearest" then hit "ww" buttons. Or you can create one macro that does both in a single button.

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hey Tabin,

Remember through all of this the fact that I'm learning ... good chance all of this is just me doing things wrong

I actually recorded some spawn stuff .... here's an example ... this is within 5 seconds of me dying

Stamina is 182 at this point ..... Mana is 88

upload_2018-4-9_6-7-13.png

What I "think" is the problem is that I am taking lots of small damage but giving none.

Some of your questions ... I'm riding a Paroxysmus Swamp Dragon (12% absorption) guess I ought to try a shadow armored swampie ... 20% absorption

I don't get stuck .... I'm wearing allot of plate and my SR is like 17 .... my stamina, at this point of the spawn, has never dropped below 170 ... until "just" before I die

I have my mouse wheel set up to target next enemy and target previous target .... I roll it up and down while I move around to "hopefully" draw in aggressors ....

My attack macro is ...... Select WW, Target nearest enemy, attack current target .... I press that key as soon as I see the WW Icon un-highlight .... which I think means I hit someone

As you can see from the picture .... the mobs are pretty spread out .... none "alive" within range ... so I'm guessing thats why I am not leeching and why I die. I'm looking for a way to buy time ... getting more defense against the ranged attacks .... sounds like a real armored swampie would be a good idea.

Also is there any way to lessen the ranged damage that I am taking? Parry is 110 .... guess I could get it to 120 ... also what about Confidence? Evasion? Close Wounds? Greater Heal Potions? I'm not really using any of these now .... like I said ... LEARNING IN PROGRESS

Thanks

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
you said you have no trouble staying alive when you have enough monsters to whirlwind.

try using double strike on single targets until the rest is close enough to whirlwind. that should leech back enough hp to keep you alive until it's ww time again.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Hey Tabin,

Remember through all of this the fact that I'm learning ... good chance all of this is just me doing things wrong

I actually recorded some spawn stuff .... here's an example ... this is within 5 seconds of me dying

Stamina is 182 at this point ..... Mana is 88

View attachment 79781

What I "think" is the problem is that I am taking lots of small damage but giving none.

Some of your questions ... I'm riding a Paroxysmus Swamp Dragon (12% absorption) guess I ought to try a shadow armored swampie ... 20% absorption

I don't get stuck .... I'm wearing allot of plate and my SR is like 17 .... my stamina, at this point of the spawn, has never dropped below 170 ... until "just" before I die

I have my mouse wheel set up to target next enemy and target previous target .... I roll it up and down while I move around to "hopefully" draw in aggressors ....

My attack macro is ...... Select WW, Target nearest enemy, attack current target .... I press that key as soon as I see the WW Icon un-highlight .... which I think means I hit someone

As you can see from the picture .... the mobs are pretty spread out .... none "alive" within range ... so I'm guessing thats why I am not leeching and why I die. I'm looking for a way to buy time ... getting more defense against the ranged attacks .... sounds like a real armored swampie would be a good idea.

Also is there any way to lessen the ranged damage that I am taking? Parry is 110 .... guess I could get it to 120 ... also what about Confidence? Evasion? Close Wounds? Greater Heal Potions? I'm not really using any of these now .... like I said ... LEARNING IN PROGRESS

Thanks
For sure buddy! Everyone's learning still, even me. ;) I probably died 15x times the other week trying to solo Shimmering Effusion. Now, it's no problemo.

Parry doesn't help against spells BUT hitting evasion with high parry will let you avoid a few hits for a short time. I'm really bad at using evasion so maybe someone else can chime in and tell me how good it really is. I basically never use it but I do hear some people swear by it.

I try to make sure my health doesn't drop below 50%, if it does get close, I make sure to attack mobs near me to leech life, then run off screen from the casters. Hit confidence button if I'm running.

Maybe this tip might help. A good technique to pulling spawn is to run around non-stop drawing monsters either using "target next" or paperdoll trick. Each monsters should only get maybe one spell off before you're already off screen tagging more. You want to create a "train". While creating this train, you still want to do some drive by monster hitting to keep life up. Then when you got a nice train going, make a U-turn when they are all bunched together and WW the first 5-10 monsters, then run a little to WW the next 5-10 monsters in the train. Try not to get toooo many monsters tho. ;) Generally speaking, you want to be constantly moving, not stagnant to where monsters can get off multiple spells on you. If your life starts to reach 60%, pop confidence while you are running. It will heal for 40 hp over 4 seconds.

For the highest teir of spawns, I switch gears and focus on smaller groups of monsters or double strike and kill one at a time.

EDIT: Oh ya! If you're soloing, ressing is a pain in the arse. Get some Sacrifice virtue so you can self res. Pretty much all my characters have enough Sacrifice to self-res in a pinch. It's can be the difference between abandoning a champ spawn vs. completing it in a timely manner even with a death or two.

Last edited:

Garrisons Rage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thanks for the detailed advice Tabin

Do I create the train and make the u turn all staying on the same screen ... then go to the next screen of mobs and do the same thing ... if I leave a screen don’t the mobs on that screen loose target on me?

I’ll try confidence too ... it was on list of things to get used to playing ... confidence, evasion, and close wounds ... got to learn how they works in use

Fenbay

Adventurer
Great thread. I have had similar issues GR, and I am also a newb samp.

One thing I think I have noticed is paralyze screwing me up. If I get para in the middle of a big zoo in phase3 of the spawn it is bad news.

Is there a way to counter it? Poison trap or something I think I recall vaguely from the OLD days.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
carry a trapped chest and make a macro to open it. dart traps do the least ammount of damage so you won't end up killing yourself.
most of the cases I just stand there with a whirlwind ready while the spawn moves in on me while paralyzed. usually a spell or hit will break paralyze quickly and I whirlwind away...

Thargor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
question about trapped chest: i made a box with my gm tinker, it is lockable , came with the key, then trapped it with darts but the trap only works when box is locked. If i try to open with dif char with no key, it says its locked and nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Thank you

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Must be unkocked with magery, turned a certain way, trapped, turned again. Uoguide has a good writeup.

Lord GOD(GOD)

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
My preferred method is to have a macro for Open Paperdoll, this lets me rubberband myself, which makes everything on screen flag me in one go. I do this while running off screen/out of range, as they are all moving towards me they gather fairly close, I then run in with Evasion up and can WW them all.

I wouldn't use a Target Next/Attack Last macro unless I was on a ranged character using Momentum Strike/Hit Area. Even then it's generally better to double click the distance monsters while Momentum hits the nearby.

SpellBreaker

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Activate counter attack.

Like MrMightySmith said.

We run it 100% of the time during spawn phase and even during the boss fights Its a big help with some of the range stuff.

Be blessed,
Frederick