• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Recent Events in Britain and Accusations of Town Guard Brutality

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Recent Events in Britain and Accusations of Town Guard Brutality.
Author Unknown

Margaret and Adelaide were sharing a cup of tea atop the First Bank of Britain late Sunday evening after a rousing day of frequenting various shops in town. Both women, now grandmothers and ever vigilant in keeping up with general town gossip and rumors, were conversing about the latest happenings occurring in Britain the last few days.

Leaning forward across the table, Adelaide spoke with a cackle in her voice, “That’s what I heard the lad said, my oh mercies. It was said that two town guards accosted a poor old man near the castle moat earlier today just because they had nothing better to do! Can you believe that? Shouldn’t the town guards already have their hands full with all this Virtuebane nonsense? You’d think they’d have enough on their plate without resorting to taking up fists and brutalizing some old chap who just wanted to fish alone in peace.”

Margaret was nodding her head in agreement, always willing to hear a good juicy rumor. Adelaide continued her story, “From what I heard through the grapevine, when the old man was yelling for help and crying about guard brutality, luck shined upon him and a town official, goes by the name of Eliar I think…”, Adelaide paused briefly to rub her temples as if trying to remember, “You know, the one who wears that feather in his cap? Well, as I was saying, the town official happened to pass by the scene and took a report about the incident. Guess the town official was having none of the guards excuses as to why they…”

Margaret interrupted with her grating voice, “Oh heavens. While I wouldn’t put it past the town guards to roughhouse a simple fisherman, I’ve heard plenty of rumors that Eliar was easily corruptible and took gold in exchange for swaying his reports in favor of one party or another. Who can you trust these days?” Margaret’s shoulder sag and her voice has the sound off resignation, “Back in our day Adelaide, the officials and politicians were just and honorable. These days?...” Margaret shakes her head disapprovingly as she trails off.

The two ladies continue sipping their drinks atop the bank as Adelaide reaches across the table and takes Margaret’s hand into her own. “Heavens! I forgot to share with you another rumor I heard. I was buying a few loaves of bread at the Good Eats Bakery when I heard the cook mention that the First Bank of Britain was robbed of millions of gold pieces at the hand of some rogue. Can you fathom such a caper? The cook mentioned that one of the guards gave the culprit chase, but he disappeared into the nearby moongate before having been apprehended. The description of the cutpurse was vague, but he was supposedly wearing a dragon’s helm and wielding a sharp ornate axe! The First Bank of Britain, supposedly stolen from!”

Margaret retorted, “Perhaps if the town guards were more adept at guarding the bank as opposed to beating up old fishermen, this town would be safer!”

A moongate suddenly appeared atop the bank and two young adventurers stepped through, bumping into the old lady’s table as they passed in their haste. Margaret shouted in her grating voice, “Where are your manners, you welps? Kids these days!”

A coughing fit suddenly overtook Adelaide as she heaved and hacked repeatedly. When she recovered, Margaret spoke, “I heard rumor that earlier this week, the Cat’s Lair Tavern was offering free drinks to anyone who produced a helm from one of those Bane Knights. Jenna tells me that the tavern is also offering Deepwood Wine and Golden Ale for a deeply discounted prices too. Must be trying to drum up new business and compete with the Blue Boar tavern down the road.” Adelaide was once again overtaken by a case of severe coughing fits as Margaret looked on without much regard or concern, remembering her friends constant hacking and deteriorating health.

“In my younger days, I always enjoyed a fine glass of wine while visiting the Cat’s Lair tavern, except for all them bloody cats running around the place. Now I hear they even cater to stray dogs, chickens, and goblins!”, Adelaide spit out those words with a hint of distaste.

Both women started to yawn and decided to retire for the evening as it was getting late and the twin moons could now be seen in the skies. They slowly got up from their chairs, neatly tucked the chairs back against the tables, and gingerly began walking down the stairs of the bank, the sounds of wheezing and coughing in their wake.