• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Realism (and PvP)

• Thread starter Lairkingo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lairkingo

I really miss games that feel.... real. WoW is really fun, but since UO I've yet to come across a game where it feels like my character is playing an actual role in a real society. Similarly, it doesn't feel like there are actually any risks or rewards to actions.... there's no tightening of my throat when I walk through a dangerous area on my own.

I think this *needs* to change. People need to try to create a game that is fun and has mass appeal but also feels real and dangerous.

JAY8533

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Check out Darkfall. Having been out of touch with the "gaming scene" for some number of years (currently the only games I play on my PC are UO and X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter lol) I was looking into new MMORPGs coming out. Darkfall sounds like it might bring back that feeling of danger that UO had pre-Trammel.

A

al-Maroc

Darkfall has a too-many-years dev history and has really felt to me as if it's just Vaporware.

Sawo

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People need to try to create a game that is fun and has mass appeal but also feels real and dangerous.

Age of Conan, Hyboria has no neutrals or friends in PvP servers, except few towns. You can only avoid damaging somone when they are in your team, you can even kill you fellow guild mates with careless swings because fight is not againts one target, but everything what is front of you. Love it..... especially when you end someone with "fatality"

Xel The Wanderer

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really miss games that feel.... real. WoW is really fun, but since UO I've yet to come across a game where it feels like my character is playing an actual role in a real society. Similarly, it doesn't feel like there are actually any risks or rewards to actions.... there's no tightening of my throat when I walk through a dangerous area on my own.

I think this *needs* to change. People need to try to create a game that is fun and has mass appeal but also feels real and dangerous.
Well, if all else fails, you can always enter the fantastic, yet slightly, um, unique world of LARP'ers. If you act now, you can do your very own interpretation of what this fellow is doing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw

Lightning Bolts for everyone and good times all around! Oh yes, I forgot to mention the fellow who's casting "Sleep!" in the background as well. :love: