• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Real skill vs Skill Bonus?

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seems like I've been seeing a lot of threads mentioning 480 (real) skill bard templates. I've always used quite a bit of skill bonus items on my bard (roughly 90) and I am unable to find something that actually lists the perks of real skill vs skill bonus in regard to bard skills. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so if I never use the Peacemaking mastery then it would not be detrimental to that skill or any other bard skill to have peacemaking at 90?

What about Musicianship with skill bonus instead of real skill?

kRUXCg7

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Only Bard Masteries require real skill and get stronger with real skill. And don't forget that real skill is required for your precious titles on Paperdoll and above your head.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Only Bard Masteries require real skill and get stronger with real skill. And don't forget that real skill is required for your precious titles on Paperdoll and above your head.
I dont care about titles. I'm trying to put all 4 bard skills and mage/med/spellweaving on my character and I just need to know where skill points can be made up with items without damage the bard skills.

Has anyone ever tested if the discord mastery damage works to return mana with wraith form?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
you only need real skill if your using masteries.
if your just using the normal skills then you can ring up and it wont matter.

and yes, ive used wraith form and it work, but it seems to work more off of SDI then SS for some strange reason, which isnt how its suppose work, but hey, who am i to complain.
oh wait, sorry, your said the disco masteries.
no i havnt tried them with wraith.
i have tried 25 necro/ss then ringing up to get into wraith then dropping WOD on stuff with spellweaving.
that for some reason uses SDI instead of the SS skill to determine the mana you get back, which isnt how its suppose to work but hey im not complaining.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If i remember correctly, wraith form leeches mana from all damage including the masteries.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks guys. So for skills on items will putting Musicianship on items have any detrimental effect on masteries vs real skill? Also, are any of you working Virtuoso Set pieces into your suits and if so when do you find are some opportune times to use them?

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
dont use the suits.
just have never gotten around too it, plus id never remember to use them what with the cool down period.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The masteries themselves only factor true skill. The skills themselves work of modified. You could go the route of getting to 90 in a skill, then selecting that mastery for the bonus, and bolster it up to 120 with skill items. Your mastery abilities would factor at 90, but your direct skill use would factor at 120 +10% bonus from mastery. Typically the mastery abilities scale from slightly helpful at minimum levels, to significantly powerful at maximum levels. You can ignore using them and use skill items to make a bard as powerful as they have always been with direct skill use, though since they are the only abilities which actually factor true skill, I usually max my bard skills and use items for the others. (I've never much used the suits, but in cases against high difficulty monsters a 5-10% bonus doesnt hurt.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The masteries themselves only factor true skill. The skills themselves work of modified. You could go the route of getting to 90 in a skill, then selecting that mastery for the bonus, and bolster it up to 120 with skill items. Your mastery abilities would factor at 90, but your direct skill use would factor at 120 +10% bonus from mastery. Typically the mastery abilities scale from slightly helpful at minimum levels, to significantly powerful at maximum levels. You can ignore using them and use skill items to make a bard as powerful as they have always been with direct skill use, though since they are the only abilities which actually factor true skill, I usually max my bard skills and use items for the others. (I've never much used the suits, but in cases against high difficulty monsters a 5-10% bonus doesnt hurt.
Very helpful, thank you. So are the bard skills like cross-compatible with each other as far as masteries concerned? What I mean is if I lower say Peacemaking to 90, will this have a negative impact on my bard mastery potency for Provoke and Disco? My current goal is to get the masteries as strong as possible with as little skill points as possible. I currently am trying to figure out how to fit the 4 bard skills, Magery, Meditation, and 120 Spellweaving on my character. From what I gather from this thread if I need to use items for skill bonus (which I will), I will need to use items for the skills that do not affect my masteries. So magery, meditation, and music? And I should keep 120 Peacemaking for maximum mastery potency? Thanks again.

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your maximum potency for any mastery is at 4x 120 in bard skills. The greatest contributors are the mastery skill, and musicianship, but if you have GM or greater in another skill, you get a bonus.. If you lower your peacemaking below GM it wouldnt be contributing at all to your Provo or Disco Masteries. (Though they will be still be pretty strong without peacing).
If you can squeeze magery or med on items as much as possible you should be able to be pretty effective since you're not using magery to deal damage.

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your maximum potency for any mastery is at 4x 120 in bard skills. The greatest contributors are the mastery skill, and musicianship, but if you have GM or greater in another skill, you get a bonus.. If you lower your peacemaking below GM it wouldnt be contributing at all to your Provo or Disco Masteries. (Though they will be still be pretty strong without peacing).
If you can squeeze magery or med on items as much as possible you should be able to be pretty effective since you're not using magery to deal damage.
Wow! When you answer a question, you don't mess around! Thank you so much for the info. Once I started really using the masteries Bard has been so much fun to play and my guildies love her too. Not to mention the huge usefulness with the Exodus content lately. Thanks again, back to Disco training I go!

Gospel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a known formula for calculating bard skill point benefits on masteries? Specifically, for some things such as peerless mobs I would like to swap out 120 Peace for 120 Spellweaving. I would like to know how this will effect the performance of my Provo masteries as I run these to benefit my guild mates and I don't want them to take a huge hit to their buffs just so I can spam word of death like a boss at the last 30%. Truthfully my main use for Spellweaving is the Gift of Renewal and Gift of Life spells, but I can't tell if they're worth the trade-off. Any thoughts or opinions?

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Easiest way would be to check on TC, but if I remember off the top of my head.

Provo Masteries for just 120 Provo/Music would be
Hit chance /SDI / Damage Increase/ Damage Modifier / 16/16/40/9
Stats + 8 Healing (I think its 12-16 but I could be wrong) Hit point increase 20

For 120 Provo 120 Disco and 120 Music
Stats + 11( I think) healing 16-20 , HP increase 23
HCI/SDI/DI/DM 19/19/50/12%

4x 120
HCI/SDIDI/DM 22/22/60/15
Stats +14 healing 20-24 / HP Increse 26

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for for building my Disco Tamer. :)
So even at 90 skill, I will get the 10% from mastery, and thus I can live with 30 disco and 20 music coming from jewels, as the mastery spells won't matter as much as getting that discord on the nasty monster I will toss my pets at. :D

Thanks for the info, Logrus.