• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has anyone else read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline? Just finished reading it this week on my Kindle and thought it was pretty good. If you've read it, what did you think of it?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Has anyone else read "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline? Just finished reading it this week on my Kindle and thought it was pretty good. If you've read it, what did you think of it?

I read it not too long ago.

I thought it was pretty decent overall, but the emphasis on the main character's crush was irritating. It was also trying to be subversive sometimes but not following through--like the big reveal about Aech, whose situation I would expect to be the norm with something like the Oasis, or with Art3mis's hints about why Parzival wouldn't like her. The 80s trivia thing was also pushed way, way too hard--while I recognize that it was important to the plot, I felt like it took away from the narrative sometimes just by sheer excess.

I thought the Oasis was interesting and compelling though and would have liked to read more about how it worked and how it interacted with the real world.

It was this close to being awesome, but fell just a bit short for me. I'd like to find a similar book that I'd like better but haven't found one.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I noticed that the author is from Austin, Texas. I wonder if that might explain some of the emphasis on 80s trivia and old, old video and computer games. I also would have liked to hear more about what happened to whoever passed along the school enrollment info to the bad guys.