• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Reactivated account with 20 year old dragons

neckbones

Adventurer
I reactivated an account from 1999 and found a full stable on my tamer... I got excited and immediately took my nightmare to kill some elder gazers. BIG MISTAKE! The poor guy has killed literally hundreds of them with no problem, but it was killed almost faster than I could start applying a bandage. My dumb ass - apparently I should have done some research before taking him out hunting. From what I've read the old nightmare is now ruined, is that correct?

Now I'm scared to take the two dragons from 20 years ago out of the stable and hunt with them. I've tried finding information about what the right thing to do with them is but I'm finding conflicting info. Any advise?

Dizzy

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
They may be valuable as pre-patch critters, but I think the major change to tamers is that your pets need to be trained (and scrolled) to be effective. Your pets are probably worth a great deal, but you might have to go through the training process first.

Start here for detailed info: Pet Training A-Z

neckbones

Adventurer
They may be valuable as pre-patch critters, but I think the major change to tamers is that your pets need to be trained (and scrolled) to be effective. Your pets are probably worth a great deal, but you might have to go through the training process first.

Start here for detailed info: Pet Training A-Z
Thanks for the reply, but I guess I'm still just really out of touch with how things are now :( That link is great, I marked a rune to the crazed mage and plan to give a dragon a workout later. You say they may be worth a great deal, could you explain how?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the reply, but I guess I'm still just really out of touch with how things are now :( That link is great, I marked a rune to the crazed mage and plan to give a dragon a workout later. You say they may be worth a great deal, could you explain how?
Do yourself a favor and don't train any of your old pets or sell any until you talk to a reputable tamer. Once you mess them up it's permanent. And some of them can be worth a lot depending on what they are. There are people out there that will rip you off since you don't know what you have yet. I would recommend doing a lot of research on training pets first. Go to Home | uo-cah.com and get on their Discord to ask people questions and get help. When I first came back to the game I ruined a really nice legacy White Wyrm.

neckbones

Adventurer
Do yourself a favor and don't train any of your old pets or sell any until you talk to a reputable tamer. Once you mess them up it's permanent. And some of them can be worth a lot depending on what they are. There are people out there that will rip you off since you don't know what you have yet. I would recommend doing a lot of research on training pets first. Go to Home | uo-cah.com and get on their Discord to ask people questions and get help. When I first came back to the game I ruined a really nice legacy White Wyrm.
Thanks, I appreciate the advise. I'll head over there and see what I can find out. By the way - your signature has Great Lakes in it... do you still play there?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks, I appreciate the advise. I'll head over there and see what I can find out. By the way - your signature has Great Lakes in it... do you still play there?
Yes the shards in my signature are the ones I am most active on.

neckbones

Adventurer
Yes the shards in my signature are the ones I am most active on.
Maybe once I knock the dust off and get used to the new playstyle we can get together. For now I'm still wandering around on a frenzied ostard I had in my stable, trying to figure out the new interface and setting macros lol

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I reactivated an account from 1999 and found a full stable on my tamer... I got excited and immediately took my nightmare to kill some elder gazers. BIG MISTAKE! The poor guy has killed literally hundreds of them with no problem, but it was killed almost faster than I could start applying a bandage. My dumb ass - apparently I should have done some research before taking him out hunting. From what I've read the old nightmare is now ruined, is that correct?

Now I'm scared to take the two dragons from 20 years ago out of the stable and hunt with them. I've tried finding information about what the right thing to do with them is but I'm finding conflicting info. Any advise?
The nightmare is worth some gold. White wyrms and bake kitsune are worth some gold. Their stats determine how much.

Bane dragons are worth the most.

You don't see the training button if you do not have enough taming and lore to advance the pet.

neckbones

Adventurer
The nightmare is worth some gold. White wyrms and bake kitsune are worth some gold. Their stats determine how much.

Bane dragons are worth the most.

You don't see the training button if you do not have enough taming and lore to advance the pet.
Thanks, it took me a minute to figure out that one ;) On to another question... I bought a mastery primer and read it but can't find where to activate the new abilities.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Was the Nightmare bonded? The old Elder Gazer spots in Shame now have Eternal Gazers in them, they're seriously beefed up EGs. Thousands of hitpoints, take half damage from pets, and have a 20% chance per melee attack to deliver triple damage to pets. Noone hunts those anymore since the Shame Loot Revamp went Global.
Old WWs can be worth a lot, especially the older generations. Gen 1 "Ancient" WWs are the rarest, with only 6 confirmed to still exist in game. You can distinguish Gen 1s from all the rest by the fact that they full on roar instead of grunt when given a command.

But yeah, don't level up your older pets or sell them until you know exactly what you have, and what to train pets in.

Thanks, it took me a minute to figure out that one ;) On to another question... I bought a mastery primer and read it but can't find where to activate the new abilities.
You need a Book of Masteries. They can easily be gotten by doing the Bard quests at the Music Conservatory in Britain, or you can do Hawkwind's quest to kill a Champ/Peerless to get one, he's at the moongate in Eodon.

neckbones

Adventurer
Was the Nightmare bonded? The old Elder Gazer spots in Shame now have Eternal Gazers in them, they're seriously beefed up EGs. Thousands of hitpoints, take half damage from pets, and have a 20% chance per melee attack to deliver triple damage to pets. Noone hunts those anymore since the Shame Loot Revamp went Global.
Old WWs can be worth a lot, especially the older generations. Gen 1 "Ancient" WWs are the rarest, with only 6 confirmed to still exist in game. You can distinguish Gen 1s from all the rest by the fact that they full on roar instead of grunt when given a command.

But yeah, don't level up your older pets or sell them until you know exactly what you have, and what to train pets in.

You need a Book of Masteries. They can easily be gotten by doing the Bard quests at the Music Conservatory in Britain, or you can do Hawkwind's quest to kill a Champ/Peerless to get one, he's at the moongate in Eodon.
Thanks, appreciate the answer :) Can a different character do the quest and hand over the Book of Masteries? My tamer is GM Magery/Eval but i don't know if he'd be able to do a spawn solo. I don't want to bring pets until I know how to train them.

Eternal Gazers, no wonder he went down so fast! The nightmare is bonded, as are the two dragons I had in the stable. According to uo-cah it's a legacy nightmare (picture below) but is there another way to make sure?

**Edit - I read up and it is indeed a pre-patch nightmare. it's only 2 slots with over 500 strength and 300 hits

legacy mare.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can buy a book from someones vendor. You left click book and choose change Mastery.

You do not have to do that Hawkwind quest, you can cancel it and accept it again to get a different boss. Also the reward is a random primer and some junk.

Yes Nightmare is good but the revamp has been out for 4 years so most that want one have 2 or 6 already.

But if the stats are great it can be worth 100M. I have bought many for 25M.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you want gold you should be doing Hythloth Dungeon the drops sell for millions each and there are some nice items for you that you can buy.

neckbones

Adventurer
You can buy a book from someones vendor. You left click book and choose change Mastery.

You do not have to do that Hawkwind quest, you can cancel it and accept it again to get a different boss. Also the reward is a random primer and some junk.

Yes Nightmare is good but the revamp has been out for 4 years so most that want one have 2 or 6 already.

But if the stats are great it can be worth 100M. I have bought many for 25M.
Thanks, I didn't think about vendor search. Love that, it's so much easier to find something than it used to be

I don't know what good stats would be on a nightmare. Here are the pages from lore, how would you rank them?

stats 1.png stats 2.png stats 3.png stats 4.png stats 5.png stats 6.png stats 7.png stats 8.png

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you are going to play, you may as well follow the AI/Chiv guide on Cah and build the nightmare.

Get you a Nice Cu and make one of those.

neckbones

Adventurer
If you are going to play, you may as well follow the AI/Chiv guide on Cah and build the nightmare.

Get you a Nice Cu and make one of those.
Ok, I get chiv, what's AI?

and yeah, I was leaning toward keeping the nightmare. I've got a wedding ring from back in the day that can be sold and finance me getting established again.

****Edit: Armor Ignore. Found it :p

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Before training your older pets, maybe tame a new one and go to test center to educate yourself on how the process works. Even with the best guides, until you do it a few times yourself, some of the odd quirks in the process won't make sense until you're actually pushing buttons on it in game.

Good luck and hope your return goes well!

neckbones

Adventurer
Before training your older pets, maybe tame a new one and go to test center to educate yourself on how the process works. Even with the best guides, until you do it a few times yourself, some of the odd quirks in the process won't make sense until you're actually pushing buttons on it in game.

Good luck and hope your return goes well!
That's a great idea, thanks!

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nightmares are worth 300 - 700m depending on intensity (60 to 90). Higher intensity is usually what pays the big bucks.
For low intensity, you can expect 200-300m (<60).

PP WW's, I made a write up earlier on observed prices. Need an update, but should be pretty accurate still.
Banes go from anywhere between 500m (messed up or 4 slot) and 2p (9x non-gimped chiv+ai capable, high str/intensity).

Old prepatch dragons 3 slot are mostly just sentimental unless you managed to train a bunch of them before an intensity nerf in 2018 .
I've still got some ready to go with last step ready to be trained (*phew*). People will get greedy and jealous of old pets, so be ready for them to fight you every step of the way on prices and negotiation. Don't be filtered with info from just one source, try different ones and see what people say.

There are lots of people who can take you through taming and training.

neckbones

Adventurer
Nightmares are worth 300 - 700m depending on intensity (60 to 90). Higher intensity is usually what pays the big bucks.
For low intensity, you can expect 200-300m (<60).

PP WW's, I made a write up earlier on observed prices. Need an update, but should be pretty accurate still.
Banes go from anywhere between 500m (messed up or 4 slot) and 2p (9x non-gimped chiv+ai capable, high str/intensity).

Old prepatch dragons 3 slot are mostly just sentimental unless you managed to train a bunch of them before an intensity nerf in 2018 .
I've still got some ready to go with last step ready to be trained (*phew*). People will get greedy and jealous of old pets, so be ready for them to fight you every step of the way on prices and negotiation. Don't be filtered with info from just one source, try different ones and see what people say.

There are lots of people who can take you through taming and training.
Thanks for the info! I punched in the numbers and it looks like the nightmare is pretty middle of the road (pic below, is that the right way to calculate the value?). I'm pretty sure I'm just going to keep them all and train them up after I learn more about that process. The dragons went out hunting every now and then years ago, but honestly they were always a hassle compared to the convenience of the nightmare and they spent more time in the stables than anywhere else.

intensity.png

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Looks right, 300-500m range imo.
Do always check updated prices and dont sell at first sight of an offer.
Obv some PVPers want str to be closer to 511 , but the resists are high to offset that.

Ascalon

Adventurer
Agree with what others said, put your legacy pets on hold for now, until you have a better sense of the current game and the pet system. Don't sell or trade them off, for now, or ever, since they aren't replaceable and you're coming into the UO economy of today. I'll try to give a brief and helpful run down to help get you going and enjoying UO again.

Getting the mastery book. If you don't find one on a vendor, you can run the mastery quest for peacemaking for as many as you want. Go to the bard school in Britain. Very easy way to get books. You can also get a book through Hawkwind at the gate to Eodon, one of the moongate destinations, but it will randomly generate a quest that's not easy.

Taming and training a pet for learning the system. For rideables, I would recommend Cu Sidhe as top tier, then Firesteed as second tier. The advantage of Cu Sidhe is self-healing. Also, you can get overcapped energy resist. The ideal Cu resists are 70 Cold, and 85 Energy. The rest can be set after training. Opinions vary on the resist thing, which could flare up for some. For Firesteed, the advantage is being able to specify 2 special moves. For a general adventuring pet resist, try 80/80/60/65/80, the reason being physical is the most common monster attack damage, while fire and energy are the most damaging caster attack damage. Cold is extremely uncommon as a damage type. Tame a few of the pet you want to try, feed them, and then stable them for a week until they bond. You bond them by feeding them. Feed, stable, wait a week, feed again, and you should get the "bonded" message.

The nightmares that spawn now have a rare type that spawns very rarely, so you have to farm them in Ilshenar. 2 slot Void color is the one to get, but you can use the other rare 2 slots to experiment and try things out. Don't forget you can move a character over to the test system and try it there to make sure it's the set up you want. For my preference, I kill off the nightmares with a 3 slot pet. This also prevents you from taming a 3 slot rare, which will end up with a lot fewer total skill points because it is missing the chance to move up one level. Nightmares are nice pets, but like most people, you might find that for whatever reason, you rarely hunt with them. One advantage they have is the ability to create a "Necromare". This is a mid/advanced pet to create with really tight points on current spawn, but it's worth doing, in order to try it.

Pet training and skills. You can get a nice pet using 105 and 110 scrolls. You can get these by doing treasure maps. It's not documented on UO Cah, but you can get 110 Wrestling this way too. Getting maps, you can do from fishing or from farming monsters that drop certain maps. It needs to be done in Fel, to get Fel maps since these are the only ones that will give scrolls.

Are you on other shards or Siege?

neckbones

Adventurer
Agree with what others said, put your legacy pets on hold for now, until you have a better sense of the current game and the pet system. Don't sell or trade them off, for now, or ever, since they aren't replaceable and you're coming into the UO economy of today. I'll try to give a brief and helpful run down to help get you going and enjoying UO again.

Getting the mastery book. If you don't find one on a vendor, you can run the mastery quest for peacemaking for as many as you want. Go to the bard school in Britain. Very easy way to get books. You can also get a book through Hawkwind at the gate to Eodon, one of the moongate destinations, but it will randomly generate a quest that's not easy.

Taming and training a pet for learning the system. For rideables, I would recommend Cu Sidhe as top tier, then Firesteed as second tier. The advantage of Cu Sidhe is self-healing. Also, you can get overcapped energy resist. The ideal Cu resists are 70 Cold, and 85 Energy. The rest can be set after training. Opinions vary on the resist thing, which could flare up for some. For Firesteed, the advantage is being able to specify 2 special moves. For a general adventuring pet resist, try 80/80/60/65/80, the reason being physical is the most common monster attack damage, while fire and energy are the most damaging caster attack damage. Cold is extremely uncommon as a damage type. Tame a few of the pet you want to try, feed them, and then stable them for a week until they bond. You bond them by feeding them. Feed, stable, wait a week, feed again, and you should get the "bonded" message.

The nightmares that spawn now have a rare type that spawns very rarely, so you have to farm them in Ilshenar. 2 slot Void color is the one to get, but you can use the other rare 2 slots to experiment and try things out. Don't forget you can move a character over to the test system and try it there to make sure it's the set up you want. For my preference, I kill off the nightmares with a 3 slot pet. This also prevents you from taming a 3 slot rare, which will end up with a lot fewer total skill points because it is missing the chance to move up one level. Nightmares are nice pets, but like most people, you might find that for whatever reason, you rarely hunt with them. One advantage they have is the ability to create a "Necromare". This is a mid/advanced pet to create with really tight points on current spawn, but it's worth doing, in order to try it.

Pet training and skills. You can get a nice pet using 105 and 110 scrolls. You can get these by doing treasure maps. It's not documented on UO Cah, but you can get 110 Wrestling this way too. Getting maps, you can do from fishing or from farming monsters that drop certain maps. It needs to be done in Fel, to get Fel maps since these are the only ones that will give scrolls.

Are you on other shards or Siege?
Lots of great info there, thanks! I got a cu sidhe and leveled him up to 5 slot after he bonded, I've been taking him around and seeing how far I can push it. It's died a couple times but I expected that... He made it through a paragon Balron without dying (bandages and greater heals like mad!).

I transfered all the other worthwhile chars to Greta lakes, no characters worth looking at anywhere.

I trained up that legacy nightmare a couple levels but haven't finished it... just put resists and such on it (followed a guide on uo-cah). Kind of wish I hadn't done that yet, but I don't think it'll be ruined. Stabled until I play around with the training system.

DeadThing

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've seen lots of great advice in this thread, and want to add a couple of things I've run in to. Even once you're comfortable with the new system, be very intentional when training your pets. Use the built in planner, use UO-CAH's pet builder, maybe even make a list. If you want to really, really stay on top of it, maybe even switch over to test realm and do each level up there before you do your actual pets, especially with the rare ones. It's easy to get comfortable, and then forget something that will gimp your pet (or at least annoy the hell out of you knowing you did it). Looking at you Base Damage.

fugnut28

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I just checked my pets( I started in 2000) I have a pre patch White Wyrm, a bane dragon, a dread war horse, a fire steed and other pre patch pets. I think all my pets are before training started. So not exactly sure what I have either lol.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just checked my pets( I started in 2000) I have a pre patch White Wyrm, a bane dragon, a dread war horse, a fire steed and other pre patch pets. I think all my pets are before training started. So not exactly sure what I have either lol.
There are no prepatch fire steeds. The current spawning are the same.

Only Nightmares, Wyrms, and Bake Kitsune are pre patch pets.. You can't get Banes or Dreadmares so they are desired for that reason.