• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Rcommendation for returning player to solo PvM

Fenbay

Adventurer
Hi folks,

I'm reading up on all the new information since I last played UO over a decade ago. Lots has changed!

I keep seeing the Sampire stuff, which sounds very interesting, but also read about throwers etc.

Anyone have suggestions for what to make for solo PvM?

Thanks,
Fen

P.S. 40 views and no responses so let me elaborate a bit: what would be effective and EASIER for a returning player to have some success in PvM.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

CrazyUserName

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are a lot of good templates out there, Sampires are solid and if you have access to the right gear can solo most things in the game.

I personally don’t have the time or spare funding to experiment with every template, but am trying to make a pure paladin to work solo in the blackthorn dungeon. Gotta get those 120 scrolls to go toe to toe with the masters down there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Li Mu Bai

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Imo the most important question is what is the main purpose of the toon and what is ur budget.

Basic Sampires/bushido paladins are very effective all around builds but you need a few expensive power scrolls (swords, tactics, bushido maybe parry) and some expensive gear to be really effective (i use crimmy, m&s, fire despicable quiver but there are more options including e.g. slither).

I use my sampire only on spawns and doom so i quitted chiv at all. It allowed me to have 120 parry and 80+ resisting spells buy i need a few slayer/super slayer weapons. If you want to hunt some non slayer mobs (like peerless or bt captains) chiv is a must.

If you are low on cash i would choose thrower instead. Imo only ps really needed is 120 throwing wich is ridiculusly cheap. Even the stuff is not so expensive especially when u use some vvv antique arties (e.g. crimmy or tangle). It is good all around toon but not so effective at spawns. If you choose the necro/ss thrower you will be able to do a huge amount of damage on events or other group activities.

What would you like to hunt most? What is your budget? Do you have an access to crafter with imbuing? Power scrolls? Arties? What are your goals? Having fun? Gold? Legendaries? Tell me the answers and i can give you some more specific advices about templates, suit, some tips and tricks, steps, milestones etc. What shard are you playing?

Good to see you back

Fenbay

Adventurer
Thanks for the in-depth response. I want the best all around PvM capable character for the time being. I'd hope for now the avoid needing specialty characters for specific mobs so whatever the best jack-of-all-trades build, which sounds like samphire based on my reading and responses here.

I have access to a good crafter account and decent amount of gold from when I played many many moons ago. If I buy a mythic token what skills would you suggest I start with?

I'm currently on Chessy, but seeing how much more "stuff" is available on Atlantic I am thinking of moving.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For solo PvM, ill suggest a VvV sampire.
Roll with
M&S glasses cost 500 vvv points
Crimson cost 500 VvV points.
Take either VvV talisman (+10 hci,20 DI) cost 500 VvV points, or mana phasing orb cost around 300k++ (Depending on shard)
Then either buy a few legendaries, and imbue around those, or just simply imbue the missing pieces.

Use this nice template.
120 mace (around 100k to 250k)
100 tact
100 chiv (this can also be swapped around as needed)
100 parry
100 bush
100 necro
100 resist / ana (swap around as needed)

There is your sampire with suit included for under 5mill, and you can solo almost anything.
When you enter VvV you get 2000 points.

Fenbay

Adventurer
Reading around, most folks seem to think swords is the way to go for samphire. Why do you suggest mace if I may ask? Thanks for the response BTW!

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suggest maceing, because its the cheapest scroll to get you started, and macing is the 2nd best weapon pick for a sampire (note this is my oppion).
With swordmanship you have a veriaty of weapons to choose from, with macing you are pretty much limited to a very few weapons.
When i made my first sampire i picked fencing, i was quite happy with it, i mostly did doom, rolled with leafblade. later on i started todo spawns, and fencing just didnt have the tools i was looking for (WW weapons) so i switched to macing for blackstaffs/Tetutso, and hammer picks.
Later on i got rich from mainly doing champ spawns, and wanted to experiment with different stamnia builds, so i picked up swordmanship because you can almost make the most crappy suit and still solo most stuff.
As of now, i don't use sampires anymore, i roll with a warrior build, where i can solo most stuff if i want. I pulled away from sampire builds, into a more offensive build for when people would try to raids me, when i did spawns.

Red Comet

Visitor
Ive actualy returned to UO after being away 10 years also! I chose to go with what they are calling a dragoon template. Its basically a chivalry bushido template. Unfortunately I havent made any post yet so I cant link to the thread. But making the suit is very time consuming and a little costly so id prob start with a easier template.

Cu3ball

Visitor
I know this is the warrior forum but I'd start with a tamer. They are amazing at almost everything right now.