• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RC Giant Beetle vs Cu

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
So I’ve been playing with a Tamer archer on test. So far, extremely high DPS PVM wise. Just got to thinking which tank pet is better. I played with a conductive blast 120d cu using an energy 100 comp bow and went against GDs, the shadow guard rooms etc and was able to take down pretty much everything in <5secs. Got to thinking would an rc giant beetle combo work better? Haven’t gotten around to building one yet. If anyone who has one could offer some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RC Beetles are great all around tanks. I build them RC AI 30MR 10SR 20HPR do 70s across the board max stam and dex str gets stuck around 678 on most and as many hp as I can get on them. Pretty much the only pet I run on my T Hunters now days because they can tank and haul a load.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Mage/Tamer build is King in UO, has been for years. Especially in PVM, it's just so versatile.
They Melee char is pretty darn weak these days and the Archer got a huge nerf which makes it even less now due to constant "misses".

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
RC Beetles are great all around tanks. I build them RC AI 30MR 10SR 20HPR do 70s across the board max stam and dex str gets stuck around 678 on most and as many hp as I can get on them. Pretty much the only pet I run on my T Hunters now days because they can tank and haul a load.
Good Job! Can you post the enhancements for the RC beetle? manna? AI? RC of course, any magic schools? Poisoning? The beetle that you use for T-hunting that is. Appreciate the info..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Good Job! Can you post the enhancements for the RC beetle? manna? AI? RC of course, any magic schools? Poisoning? The beetle that you use for T-hunting that is. Appreciate the info..
I guess I will answer my own question: Poisoning as the only possible add-on, since it is free melee based skill, and is just xtra damage. No AoE? like aura nausea etc?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess I will answer my own question: Poisoning as the only possible add-on, since it is free melee based skill, and is just xtra damage. No AoE? like aura nausea etc?
A Giant Beetle

Someone claims they have seen chiv on a beetle. I only see poisoning as a choice.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The Mage/Tamer build is King in UO, has been for years. Especially in PVM, it's just so versatile.
They Melee char is pretty darn weak these days and the Archer got a huge nerf which makes it even less now due to constant "misses".
What change to Archery? The only change I know about was a PvP change not PvM.

My Wraith Archer has been able to snag EM drops vs Tamers. The Archer is not under powered in PvM. Being able to shoot every 1.25 seconds and chain several AIs with slayer, EoO and 100 DI still doese alot of damage.

The only change is Archer is chain shooting AIs, instead of Lightning Strike.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ive found a melee/tamer build to have very nice dps. Course my sampire and 5 trained 1 slot lesser hiryus does out damage it. (Mob has physical resist drop because of hiryus plus onslaught)

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What change to Archery? The only change I know about was a PvP change not PvM.

My Wraith Archer has been able to snag EM drops vs Tamers. The Archer is not under powered in PvM. Being able to shoot every 1.25 seconds and chain several AIs with slayer, EoO and 100 DI still doese alot of damage.

The only change is Archer is chain shooting AIs, instead of Lightning Strike.
Sure you can shoot every 1.25 seconds but how many times do you actually HIT something? 2:10? 4:10? 6:10? Yes I can chain several AI's.... again if I could hit the broad side of an ogre... to me my hit rate seems to be 4:10. On a good day... I can miss 10 of 10 when I really need to hit something... In PvP often it's more like 3:10 that I actually hit the opponent. Unless the person is redlined then it's a 0:10...

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
So I’ve been playing with a Tamer archer on test. So far, extremely high DPS PVM wise. Just got to thinking which tank pet is better. I played with a conductive blast 120d cu using an energy 100 comp bow and went against GDs, the shadow guard rooms etc and was able to take down pretty much everything in <5secs. Got to thinking would an rc giant beetle combo work better? Haven’t gotten around to building one yet. If anyone who has one could offer some advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't conductive blast pretty useless? In my exp. it lasts only very few seconds at best? Also equally eats manna to spend on a spell that does not long enough to have measurable effect? Are there other better debuffing specials for the dogs?
( Clocked at 1-5 seconds on a fully skilled dog..unless I am doing something wrong) Would be great if it worked...

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure you can shoot every 1.25 seconds but how many times do you actually HIT something? 2:10? 4:10? 6:10? Yes I can chain several AI's.... again if I could hit the broad side of an ogre... to me my hit rate seems to be 4:10. On a good day... I can miss 10 of 10 when I really need to hit something... In PvP often it's more like 3:10 that I actually hit the opponent. Unless the person is redlined then it's a 0:10...
To me the problem isnt missing, its more about mana depletion. Right around the 5th AI with Wraith Form, Mana Leaching Bow and 90ish mana pool you have an empty mana pool. Thats if your chaining and not alternating.

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
are you running 120 archery, 45 hci and at least 30% hit lower defense? Sounds like you're a bit short in at least one of them with that kind of a bad hit rate.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Someone on my server has the most beast giant beetle i've ever seen, max 120's across the board and rips everything up with ease. So sweet seeing it light up!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
They did a ninja nerf a while back and ever since then Archers all must be blind in one eye....
I took Archery off my Tamer since i missed the target so much it was pointless having it and replaced it with Spellweaving.....
Now the Tamer/Mage/Spellweaver is SOOOOOO much more than any other temp in UO. ;)
I cannot believe how long it took me to put Spellweaving on my Tamer, but now i could not imagine running a Tamer without it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
are you running 120 archery, 45 hci and at least 30% hit lower defense? Sounds like you're a bit short in at least one of them with that kind of a bad hit rate.
Wearing mace and shields so yes on the 30%HLD, Yes on 45HCI and yes on 120 archery but like most things the RNG is involved in Hitting... which means that since all my accounts run some negative value associated with the RNG.... and it has some major loathing for me yes I hit 4:10 shots and can often have streaks of 10 shots without hitting at all...

Yet I know others have 6:10 maybe more... but for me it's 4:10 on a good day. So every time they nerf Archers it has a MAJOR impact on my gameplay and enjoyment of the game.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pretty much hits the nail on the head.
They did a ninja nerf a while back and ever since then Archers all must be blind in one eye....
I took Archery off my Tamer since i missed the target so much it was pointless having it and replaced it with Spellweaving.....
Now the Tamer/Mage/Spellweaver is SOOOOOO much more than any other temp in UO. ;)
I cannot believe how long it took me to put Spellweaving on my Tamer, but now i could not imagine running a Tamer without it.
I love my Tamer/Mage/Spellweaver as well. But a close second, in some instances, is my disco AND provo bard/ mage/ tamer. It was TOUGH, not to mention head scratching, to cram all the points on it though. It's not for the "math challenged"! Or maybe it was just tough for me. LOL

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Im just worried that by the time i train a beetle up, they will get nerfed *crosses fingers*

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fire Beetles have higher potential than Giant Beetles. Fire Beetles start with higher total Resists (so less Training Points used on pumping Resists), They also deal 100% Fire Damage, which a lot more creatures are weak to, and it synergizes with Corpse Skin for even more damage output. Leveled Fire Beetles with RC+AI are one of the highest damage pets in the game, especially when multiple people are attacking their target, due to Rune Corruption.
I don't put Poisoning on them for two reasons. A) it's currently bugged, if you add Poisoning to a creature, then it'll only ever inflict Lesser Poison, even at GM Poisoning skill, and B) the more abilities a pet knows, the less it uses each individual ability. You'll want your beetle spamming RC or AI, not wasting Mana/time on Poisoning.

That's because when the Pet Revamp hit, any creature that had GM+ Wrestling, suddenly got the use of the Parry ability. Meleers also land hits less often now as well due to it. Before then, i was never in any danger of dying to Chief Paroxysmus with my Sampire since every hit to him would heal my entire 150 Health bar, now that Paroxy can Parry though, i have to make sure to back off if i miss too much in a row.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like conductive blast snd RC need to be toned down if everything is dying in under 5 seconds.
Living in a fantasy world again?

They are asking if Conductive blast is only supposed to last 1 to 5 seconds. Its lasts about 2 seconds now. I don't think you can tone it down much more.

Where are you reading in this thread about everything dying in 5 seconds?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Sounds like conductive blast snd RC need to be toned down if everything is dying in under 5 seconds.
Conductive blast is now effectively a useless ability thanks to nerfing it to last only 2-4 seconds as it looks like now. If anything they should make CB last at least 30 seconds to 1 minute to make any difference...Nothing other than mongbats and birds last 4 seconds. RC should also last 30 sec to 1 minute at the least. The CB is the most nerfed tho.... Do you have any pets with these? If not please refrain to make comments on these. There is enough nerfing by the devs already..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lets see the video I call ********.

And I didnt see that sentence. TY

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Good luck in bringind down a GD with any type any skill or scroll Cusidhe plus any bow, "in less than 5 seconds" I think it was meant as an exaggeration, that the GD went down fast but not 5 seconds, Not a GD.