• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Raven's State of UO Address. REFINED. Stealing Elaborated.

G

Im not a DEV but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last week.
(THIS IS MY wishful thinking)

Its time to look at UO over the year 2008. (SEE NEW STEALING BELOW)

KR is progressing at a good clip. I hope people realize we took in much of their feedback. We now have a more stable client that runs quite smoothly on many systems. We introduced Legacy Graphics, Legacy Chat, and will be working on a Legacy Interface.

Our hope is to bring players over to KR (its not a dirty word) in a way that is smooth as possilbe. Yeah, we fell out of the gate. Then we tripped over ourselves. And then we ran the wrong way. But now we are on track. The graphics will continue to be touched up and refined. With the Legacy Package, old players wont have to learn a bunch of new stuff. But... And this is a big BUT... Old and new players will be able to enable a whole new slew of macros and interface devices that will really improve the game play. So enjoy. What we want to do is allow you to learn at your own pace.

Another fun thing we are doing is creating a loot drop on Legacy Monster Graphics. Every once in a while the old graphic will spawn in KR and you will have a chance to find LEGACY DROPS. More on that in the future.

Sygain Abyss will come out in June 08. It is for KR only. Sorry but thats the way it is. We are a bit tired of spending energy on 2 clients. Yeah. Yeah. The 2d/Legacy Client will stay on but its just not getting updates. So move on. We are.

Some other changes. Why the hell did we ever make stealables static? I mean how short-sighted was that. At some point this year all current stealables will be removed from the game. So hoard them if you need too. We will be implenting about 200 new stealables that randomly spawn all over the land. A thief will now be in business. And stealables will be able to be stolen from your pack on any facet. You stole them. So why cant someone steal them from you. Please... tuffin' up. And if you buy stolen goods, they can be stolen from you. What.. you think your special?

Oh every patch will contain what we are calling RANDOM EVENTS. Stay tuned. These events will include NPC's, Monsters, and some new characters. They cant be rune booked and recalled too. Its random. The events will occur over all the lands, seas (yes sea) and in dungeons. Towns are fair game too. They will include dozens of new and fun items.

NPC will now offer gold sinks. For 5k to 100k you can buy temporary stat boosts or cool weapons and armour. Once the timer is up... the item or boost disappears. We will be creating the system and plugging your ideas into it. So start typing away. Your ideas are cool. Yes. The cool weapons and armours go away too. Just in case youre yelling uber weapons.

Well im tired now so. Ill finish later.

Thanks for hanging around. This will be a great year.

STEALING CHANGE:

Every current STEALABLE will now be turned off. It may be used again but will fall into the random placement category.

Approximatley 200 new stealables plus the old ones will be put into game play.

Of the 250 stealable objects, they will come in hued colors (sometimes). You wont know the color (most of the time) until it drops in your pack. Consider them rare. Consider the colors hidden. The coloring will be spot specific.

For example the old stealable single candle will come in 3 colors. White, BlacK and Blood Red. Now what is fun... is only the candle will be hued that color. The flame will be a flame and the candle stick will be gold. Woops. Gold, Silver or Platinum. Hueing will change one aspect of the object, NOT the entire graphic.

Lets go with the candle as the example all other STEALABLES will follow...

The candle (most of the time) will show up in random spots all over the land. In plain site on the ground. On tables in shops. In dungeons. Yes in chests too. SO look.

You will be able to find them 4 ways...

They will be simply tagged with "A stolen" in the name. (not all will say that at first)
OR they will have a strange twinkle occassionally.
OR an odd sound may occur that will require you to use the cursor and and attempt to steal objects.
OR the object will just look different.

Once you steal the object, it will be tagged with "A stolen" and you will get any hueing differences as it appears in your pack.

You see it wont be easy.

Rarity is a bit random. Sorry we wont release the rarity factor... BUT there is an NPC that will give you some information on the object for 50k. Yep, a gold sink. Youll get a general idea of rarity. And the NPC will tag your item. Yeah 50k. You think dealing with stolen goods is cheap.

OH OH beware. Your items can be stolen. Once you get into the NPCs shop you are safe. He doesnt allow stealing in his shop. BUT your stuff is fair game on the way there. DID I SAY you cant recall in or out of his shop.

Your items can be stolen in general too.
All items once stolen for the first time will get a tag that says "A stolen". These items are fair game.

This means it can be stolen anywhere, anytime on any facet. If you have it, it can be taken. We hear there are cheaters in the land. So once you purchase a stolen item via a trade window or off a vendor, you do get 10 seconds to leave or bank. It wont be able to be stolen for 10 seconds after a transfer.

And there will be another change... they can be fished up and found in treasure chests.

Oh and another change on corpses too.

Can you say DETECT HIDDEN?
The skilled thieve that uses this skill on a corpse, treasure chest (fishing or treasure map) may expose a secret compartment. I hope they have theiving skill to remove what they find. They might not need to much stealing skill to remove something.

Yes you can detect hidden corpses of monsters slain by others. They wont be instanced for stealables. Yes your loot is instanced not the stealables. YOU CAN DETECT HIDDEN corpses immediately and try to steal an object.
And you can steal the stealables of players that find them in the dungeon.

I think you get the idea. One last thing. At any given moment there maybe 100's of stealable items turned on in a day. They will last 72 hours then go away. WHY? Well finding nothing would be quite boring. Remember they are scattered everywhere.

Day ONE X amount of stealables randomly placed. SO X amout available
Day TWO y amount of stealables randomly placed. S0 X + Y - FOUND available.
Day THREE Z amount of stealables randomly placed. S0 X+Y+Z-FOUND available.
Day FOUR A amount of stealables randomly placed SO Y+Z+A-FOUND available. X items will be turned off as they hit 72 hours.

Next Statue of UO
PvP
Scripters
Housing
and Events

G

Sygain Abyss will come out in the June 08. It is for KR only. Sorry but thats the way it is. We are a bit tired of spending energy on 2 clients. Yeah. Yeah. The 2d/Legacy client will stay on but its just not getting updates. So move on. We are.KR IMO Is a junk client allways has been allways will be the graphics are third grade level at best it uses a ton of resousces on a comp.And is basiclly not worth the effort or trouble to even download.

Forcing players to play a client they hate would kill this game so fast it would be unreal.

B

Babble

They could try it.
I have not bought a regular expansion since aos anyway and uo still lives.

If SA is really good might even try the kr again like i did with the 3d for in between.

I

imported_Nestorius

We have realized that the KR client is looks terrible, doesn't run good, and that just giving us a buggy 'legacy graphic' option doesn't cut it.

We at Mythic will apply our expertise towards remaking the KR client so that the graphics look like the 2D but with more detail. We will make the KR client play like the 2D with no fancy innovations until we can match what 2D already has. No more 'user interface' custom options... we are going to make one client that looks and plays better than the 2D, yet captures the art and care that has given 2D a 10 year lifespan.

Unless we can match 2D technology with our 3D client, there is no reason for silly innovations like revamping the interface so it looks like World of Warcraft. We are instead going to concentrate on the graphic and performance issues. In fact, we are half-considering dumping KR and instead increasing the graphic resolution of the 2D client.

We know its really hard to take a 2D sprite and make it into a 3D model for redesigning the 2D client or KR. Its really hard. But we are professionals and know the difficulty is only the time-intensive nature of the project, not that its impossible. If we consistently add a few well-crafted graphic improvements every month among our normal updates, we know our playerbase will be pleased and patient.

Y

Yewish News

Although I don't agree with all the content (KR is crap), this is really what we need from the management - clear goals and ambitions for this year.

G

<blockquote><hr>

We have realized that the KR client is looks terrible, doesn't run good, and that just giving us a buggy 'legacy graphic' option doesn't cut it.

We at Mythic will apply our expertise towards remaking the KR client so that the graphics look like the 2D but with more detail. We will make the KR client play like the 2D with no fancy innovations until we can match what 2D already has. No more 'user interface' custom options... we are going to make one client that looks and plays better than the 2D, yet captures the art and care that has given 2D a 10 year lifespan.

[/ QUOTE ]HOME RUN!

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

Unless we can match 2D technology with our 3D client, there is no reason for silly innovations like revamping the interface so it looks like World of Warcraft. We are instead going to concentrate on the graphic and performance issues. In fact, we are half-considering dumping KR and instead increasing the graphic resolution of the 2D client.

We know its really hard to take a 2D sprite and make it into a 3D model for redesigning the 2D client or KR. Its really hard. But we are professionals and know the difficulty is only the time-intensive nature of the project, not that its impossible. If we consistently add a few well-crafted graphic improvements every month among our normal updates, we know our playerbase will be pleased and patient.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the client looks good AND is 3D AND is userfriendly - fine with me
Its opinion but for me 2D looks ...not good and is very userunfriendly (backpacks etc)

Take the best parts of 2D with the userfriendliness of old 3D and it would be good
Ps.: To be fair - KR has many very good features - Once you get to know the client better.
Fix the bugs in the client and modify the graphics (modern 3D NOT old sprites...) then KR would be a really good client

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

If ever a post was "WIN", this is it for me.

IF KR was 2D with Higher Resolution graphics, Hotbars, Chat Windows, a skinable/customizable Interface and decent level of performance, I'd dump the current 2D in a heartbeat.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Sygain Abyss will come out in the June 08. It is for KR only. Sorry but thats the way it is. We are a bit tired of spending energy on 2 clients. Yeah. Yeah. The 2d/Legacy client will stay on but its just not getting updates. So move on. We are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Making Stygain Abyss Kingdom Reborn only will only cause the entire expansion to fail miserably. Players have voiced their opinion loud and clear, 2D is what they want. This catastrophe of a situation is bad enough already, lets stop repeating the entire Third Dawn expansion please.
<blockquote><hr>

They could try it.

[/ QUOTE ]
We have tried it. When are people going to figure out that KR is awful for a multitude of reasons and it simply is not one patch away from magically becoming better? The same people who are die hard KR supporters are the exact same type as the die hard 3D supporters. But at least 3D was a pretty solid client. KR not only looks bad it plays worse.

B

Belmarduk

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Sygain Abyss will come out in the June 08. It is for KR only. Sorry but thats the way it is. We are a bit tired of spending energy on 2 clients. Yeah. Yeah. The 2d/Legacy client will stay on but its just not getting updates. So move on. We are.

[/ QUOTE ]
Making Stygain Abyss Kingdom Reborn only will only cause the entire expansion to fail miserably. Players have voiced their opinion loud and clear, 2D is what they want. This catastrophe of a situation is bad enough already, lets stop repeating the entire Third Dawn expansion please.

[/ QUOTE ]
You do know that no new players will come if we have the current situation? (2D - no comment , Current KR - No comment)
IF no new players come... Go figure

I

imported_wencit

I personally think KR has a lot of really neat tools. One thing I wish UO would do is make it so you can get it on disk, I know few people that still cannot get it to download. Also the map needs help, I run a lot of my area(looking for decays) and the map doesn't show houses. if that map is supose to replace UO map it is far from there

G

Damn it, now I really have to stick around.

I like the theif idea.....

Now to restore smithing to a worth while trade

G

Yeah I like the thieving idea.

Mark items Stealable.

If it is Stealable. WELL ITS STEALABLE all the time.

G

My Mythic state of UO address:

I will tell you soon.

Thank you for reading,

Signed, Dev number 45.

J

JoyousGard

Are you an insider... because all of that sounds WONDERFUL!!! Please, if you are just a creative Stratics user, please apply for UO.

If you are already with UO, ask for a raise!

J

JoyousGard

Apply for community coordinator. No offense to the present coordinator, but this post is what I will think of when I think of a community coordinator.

Even if UO development reality is different than this... an open post that addresses shorterm/longterm concerns is what a community coordinator should do.

What I am saying is... The structure of the post is excellent for someone with the title of community coordinator.... The actual content would vary.

L

Lord_Asterix

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You do know that no new players will come if we have the current situation? (2D - no comment , Current KR - No comment)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am fairly certain more people will leave then come.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

I am fairly certain more people will leave then come.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's already happening in the game as we speak.

I

imported_Hawkeye_Pike

That's just what every UO player is dreaming about. Good post! Alas, I fear it is only wishful thinking. But let's not give up hopes completely.

I

imported_Sarphus

I initially didn't read this post because the OP doesn't have one of those red icons beside his name. If this really is the direction the devs are going, that's pretty exciting.

It looks like the OP was very tired when he wrote this... it's riddled with typos

I really like the stealing idea. That's a more innovative idea than anything I've come up with to bring stealing back and I've definitely thought about it a lot.

I like the idea of money sink items/buffs. Depending on what the items/buffs are, I will probably buy them. For them to be effective, they have to have a realistic cost/effect ratio. The reason collections failed as a gold sink is that it costs you 15 mil to buy a 3 mil item...

I like the idea of the legacy monsters. I cant wait to see the details...

June 08 sounds like a great date for SA... I just hope you guys are willing to push that back if it's not ready.

I'm excited to hear more about the random events.

This would be cooler if it was actually offical, though. The more I look at it, it just looks like a player trying to sound like an official source of information.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I got 5 new players into the game who were bored of WoW and all 5 prefered the 2d client over KR. I showed them the KR client first, showed them how to play on the KR client (well, attempted to anyway, damn clunky interface), and after 5 hours showed them the 2d client. They haven't logged back into KR, other to compare.

Now, what does that well you?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I initially didn't read this post because the OP doesn't have one of those red icons beside his name. If this really is the direction the devs are going, that's pretty exciting.

It looks like the OP was very tired when he wrote this... it's riddled with typos

I really like the stealing idea. That's a more innovative idea than anything I've come up with to bring stealing back and I've definitely thought about it a lot.

I like the idea of money sink items/buffs. Depending on what the items/buffs are, I will probably buy them. For them to be effective, they have to have a realistic cost/effect ratio. The reason collections failed as a gold sink is that it costs you 15 mil to buy a 3 mil item...

I like the idea of the legacy monsters. I cant wait to see the details...

June 08 sounds like a great date for SA... I just hope you guys are willing to push that back if it's not ready.

I'm excited to hear more about the random events.

This would be cooler if it was actually offical, though. The more I look at it, it just looks like a player trying to sound like an official source of information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im just Raven. Sorry. And my typos come from speed typing between work stuff.

Anyway. These ideas are just something I hope EA really looks at. Its not hard to improve the game in so many levels. Theiving. Im going to build on. Its a good idea that I think is worthy of a whole player class.