• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Rares Fest 2021?

IGaretjaxI

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know its typically the same group that jump in and try to talk about rares fest and plan and etc... But it def is something that I think needs brought up sooner than later for planning and I believe it needs to be on Atlantic and/or one of the populated Asian shards.
Last year I got flamed for asking why it wasn't going to be on Atlantic (was told I was an Atlantic elitest that doesn't see any other shards by Lord Frodo, yet I don't play on Atlantic, I merchant on there and play on Great Lakes) but a festival is meant to get as much exposure/foot traffic as possible...Baja was a complete flop last year, have messages from Arya agreeing and apologizing.

I will throw my hat in and volunteer as much as I can wherever it may be, I do work during the week so I won't be there all the time but at peak times at night, it can def be made. Can even hop in a discord and discuss anything that needs to be talked through as well.

Just figured lets get something going and planned out well, not something that has half a house full of vendors and barely one house for the silent auctions again.

Thanks!

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not in a place to host as I once was but I would love to help out with one where I can! An event or two maybe?

*Sneaky Toad awakes from his slumber at the sound of grinds and gears of planning another Rares Fest*

I’m in!

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It's great for someone to planning and discuss this for our enjoyment.
If anyone has a plan I will be happy to help.

I would like to see asuka or yamato in the future :)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will help where i can. Depending on dates i can run events and help with organizing. Worst case i can help with donations for rewards etc...

Ill shoot some regulars a text to see if we can get the ball rolling.

IGaretjaxI

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the above comments and etc, obviously we haven't planned on anything or what not but what about 2 rares fest this year? One on Asuka/Yamato and one later on in the year on Atlantic. Yes, I understand there is planning and etc needed for this, but there are so many items/collections in the game, there is no reason there can't be two of these great fests. Thoughts?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyones free to hold a rares fest. ive hosted 3? 4? i dont think our group is in a position to do another one this year would love if someone else steped up. its alot of work but a very nice time.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Ideally if we could have two fests a year (summer/winter) that would be great, hopefully it will work out this year :thumbsup:.

Danpal

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't think there would be time for two rares fest this year. If anything just one. They take about 6 months to plan witch would bring one to September.

And to be honest the rares community is not what it was years ago.

I like going to them like most people. Treasure trove and toad town who held them on Atlantic are both gone. The one on EU was good that was years ago. Not sure if they are around still.

One more issue there is way to many new rares every month to keep up. Only about 3 a month are wroth anything out of the dozen if that.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We'd be willing to host a fest in the winter; most likely with a December date, on Atlantic in North Harbor centered around the Acropolis AH. We have enough housing to accommodate as many vendor houses, silent auction houses, and event houses as needed. That would leave plenty of time to organize as well as leave as much room as possible for a potential second fest in between.

1615872489832.png

IGaretjaxI

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't think there would be time for two rares fest this year. If anything just one. They take about 6 months to plan witch would bring one to September.
Why does it take so long to plan? This is not rocket surgery. We have just started discussing this yesterday and already have a willing location on Atlantic, with plenty of housing. We get together and pick a weekend (**does not have to be a week long event**)

Weds - start taking submits for silent auction ** 1 to 2 people taking items in or possible mailbox as well**
Thursday - People can start placing vendors ** 1 to 2 house owners allowing vendors to be placed with 1 week contract **
Friday - Evening official welcome to the event and vendors opening ** 1 to 2 house owners there for vendor placement / all staff there for opening ceremony**
Saturday - Events / Judging whatever may take place during the planning phase...Evening time closing of silent auction **2 people watching silent auction, 2 people running events : Naked new char run / live auction?/ anything else may be agreed upon**
Sunday - Closing ceremony / wrap everything else up ** full staff saying good bye/ house owners pushing vendors to close before contract is up**

They don't have to be the same as they were in the past, as long as we have something fun and a community event.

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
In my experience, 2 months or more to prepare and need enough time to pre-promote the event.Securing land, securing personnel etc ..
This doesn't mean I've done it well, but I should spend a lot of time on advertising and so on. Not just one shard Not only in the game but also including SNS, Rares Fest must be recognized by non-collectors in order to be more profitable as a box office.

In the past, sometime collided with other plans.
Hosts may discuss the timing of the event so that they do not collide with each other.
but some cases, even though the plan is in the preparatory stage, another plan has been announced and ruined.
If someone has a plan, I think care must be taken to avoid interference with other plans.
Nowadays, The more the dates of multiple plans overlap rares fest host Unpopular
spending a lot of money and time hosting events People are rare

Of course, I know that doing it Atlantic gives the best results, But to keep the industry from waning, we should look beyond Atlantic. I think we should open up new collectors and markets.

Finally, Still, this is a blank slate, with nothing done,
so if I do it, refer to the calendar and choose long holiday season in Japan, it will be in the first week of May, mid-August, or the end of December ..
Over the next few days, I'll talk to a few people around me to decide if I'll do this this year

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Peeks into this rare's fest post..... Gives @blend a hug.... *waves @Dryzzid of Atlantic ..... thanks @Scribbles for the text..... wonders about the state of the rares community and what kind of UO staff help would a rares fest get

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I would definitely be willing to help with a rares fest, although like most of the others I don't have the same amount of time to dedicate towards it that I used to unfortunately. If it's hosted in North Harbor I'd definitely do everything possible to make sure the Acropolis Auction House is running the best it can for it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I would be happy to lend a hand wherever it is needed.

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
OK... so apparently the players holding the rares fest would not get any EM's help
There still is no PEC help- but we may be able to ask Mesanna if we could get the help if we give details about events

Last edited:

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK... so apparently the players holding the rares fest would not get any EM's help
There still is no PEC help- but we may be able to ask Mesanna if we could get the help if we give details about events
Help from Mesanna would be wonderful. What do the EMs typically provide in the way of support that we'd be missing this year? If held in North Harbor, we may be able to get by without things like extra deco and an event gate - North Harbor is already decorated to a theme (which Kuru and I could tailor to fit a festival) and we have a central teleporter hub connected to the Blue Crane by Goodman's and gate houses at both Yew and Glow Tram gates. The teleporter hub can be expanded to link up with other places as well.

Last edited:

blend

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Help from Mesanna would be wonderful. What do the EMs typically provide in the way of support that we'd be missing this year? If held in North Harbor, we may be able to get by without things like extra deco and an event gate - North Harbor is already decorated to a theme (which Kuru and I could tailor to fit a festival) and we have a central teleporter hub connected to the Blue Crane by Goodman's and gate houses at both Yew and Glow Tram gates. The teleporter hub can be expanded to link up with other places as well.
You must be in contact with her at least two weeks before the event to get support from Mesanna.
This is the formal procedure for getting support.
As you say, a backup plan will always be needed. Connect a well-accessed location to a house teleporter etc..
Some sad dramas, Someone who is mischievous may pretend to be a festival and open a gate that leads to a dangerous place. This is happening at the some festival. sad drama that loses a rare item that just bought
You can Ask Mesanna for support. Costume as an event staff.
This helps prevent spoofing
You can receive one of these , lantern, spellbook, robe, etc. has an invisible timer set on it that disappears in about two weeks

This actually happened, She forgot it and went on vacation even though she promised gate up and decoration And she came back from vacation and she asks me where need a gateafter everything was done. LOL

you might be able to expect something by inviting them to the festival, but I don't think it's possible to get support from EM anymore.

Last edited:

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
So... a Raresfest... That might be fun to come and say hey! :)

Queen Arya

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Dryzzid of Atlantic @blend - summertime when the weather is getting nice and kids start getting off from school is the reason why most festivals are held in the fall and winter months--
If your making little goodie bags and holding events it does take time to farm the resources-
Events are the reason you need some EM help like to spawn monsters and lock a couple things down due to griefer's
Dryzzid you will need buildings for vendors, events, silent auctions, staging area etc